Author Topic: Dvorak on the plane  (Read 13004 times)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
Re: Dvorak on the plane
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2013, 06:36:07 PM »
No one has said there is no compromise. No one has lambasted anyone who said, "Not my cup of tea, but I'd tolerate it for ten minutes."
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 06:47:54 PM by Two Ravens »

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2013, 06:44:11 PM »
I really think that this was one of those once-in-a-lifetime things where all circumstances converged to make it a good experience for all.

I completely and utterly disagree with this statement (above).  There is no proof whatsoever that that was the case.

However, I completely agree with the posts below and several others similar in nature.

I'm disheartened by the selfishness and close-mindedness of so many.

Many of the posters who said they wouldn't like it have said they would tolerate for a short while - in other words people who wouldn't like it would be willing to compromise for the sake of those who do. But it seems the majority of those who would like have no compromise in their posts - they only have disappointment and negative judgement for those who wouldn't enjoy it; people being willing to tolerate it is not enough for them, many posts give the impression the only response they would find acceptable is one of enjoyment or appreciation.

I don't expect to board an international flight and have an orchestra playing.  There is a reason people wear headphones when listening to music or watching their DVD player.  It is not something tailored for 'my' preference.  It is REASONABLE to expect a certain level of noise on a flight... aka people milling around, conversations btwn passengers sharing a row... etc.  NOt an orchestra playing music. 

I like Classic Rock.  On an International flight, I wouldn't appreciate Aerosmith or Dave Matthews Band doing the same thing... even if I like their music, an airplane is not the place to do it!

How many times have we seen posts about people wearing headphones on a flight so loud that the people around can hear it.  That is rude.   Don't know why an orchestra playing on the plane isn't also! 

It would be equally rude if someone started playing their movie or music with no headphones.  Why is the orchestra different?  It is FAR more disruptive.

I would not want *any* type of live music on a flight.

I think they were rude. It's no different than if I took a boom box with me and started playing heavy metal.

I ride the bus, and even on the bus there is a rule that your music cannot be loud enough for other people to hear it.

Playing devil's advocate (I actually wouldn't mind the concert on the plane), would someone who objected to it really speak up at the time?  I can see it being one of the situations where the majority didn't seem to mind, the musicians already started to set up, etc., so the minority who did mind just kept quiet and hoped that it wouldn't go on for very long.

gollymolly2

« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2013, 06:51:40 PM »
It seems really absurd and unnecessary for everyone to declare that it's "disheartening" to hear that other people have a different opinion. It's hard to have a discussion when disagreement results in such over the top reactions.

Some of us think this was an awesome thing to happen. Some of us think this could have been really awkward and uncomfortable for some people who felt trapped there. These aren't actually mutually exclusive positions.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2013, 07:06:24 PM »
I have to agree with gollymolly on the "disheartening" aspect.  I think that it might be better to agree that there are two sets of opinions here.  And that both do have a right to feel the way they do - even if the opinion isn't shared.

But I also think that there could (maybe?) be some kind of compromise taking place if you were on the plane?  What that would be, I don't know off the top of my head.  But surely there's something that, while doesn't completely satisfy both parties, does make things a little less stressful?

And I do stand by my comment that, if you have a medical condition, it really is important that you speak up as such.  If hearing the music would cause you uncontrollable pain, I can't imagine any rational person's saying, "Well, we're going to do it anyway."  I would think that most people would, hopefully, realize that a person's health is first and foremost.

Does everyone have to enjoy the music?  That's kind of a silly question.  There are many genres of music for a reason; everyone loves a different sound.  What appeals to me isn't what appeals to you.  But is it possible to listen to another type of music with respect for those playing?  Of course.  Everyone here would do so, I'd think.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2013, 07:51:31 PM »
Since the discussion has been reduced to people shipping at each other rather than, oh, useful and intelligent discourse, the thread is closed.