Author Topic: Not the job for you, 27 minutes after the interview ends!  (Read 7240 times)

ILoveMyCello

Not the job for you, 27 minutes after the interview ends!
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:05:36 PM »
Hi,

I drove two hours for an interview today and 27 minutes after I left, got a prompt "you didn't get the job" email.

I'm not too upset I didn't get the job, it happens. What I am pretty upset about is the fact I didn't get home before I got the email. She also had to complete interviews this afternoon. I feel bad for the people who interviewed then.

If this is the norm, I apologize. Personally this has never happened to me before. I've always
gotten notice within a week. Would it be appropriate to ask for feedback? I was pretty comfortable in the interview. I liked the school (this is a teaching position) and I thought the interview was going well, but I wasn't sure how I felt about the principal. I'm also a little irritated that her response was that quick, and she still had more interviews to do.
If I were to email her back for feedback, how should I word it?
Thanks

NyaChan

Re: Not the job for you, 27 minutes after the interview ends!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »
OP, did she say the position was filled or did she say that you didn't get the job?

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »
Stolen from Ask A Manager: “I appreciate your time speaking with me about the position, and I hope you’ll keep me in mind if something opens up in the future that you think I would be a good fit for. Is there anything you felt I could do to be a stronger candidate in the future?”

The above is what I always say after an interview rejection. If it makes you feel any better, my quickest rejection was 5 minutes after the interview; I feel ya.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 03:13:11 PM »
These days, I'm happy when I get ANY response.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ILoveMyCello

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 03:14:21 PM »
The email and our conversation conflicted. She told me there was no second round of interviews and the email said "another candidate was recommended for a second interview". I thought the interview went pretty well, I'm a little surprised at the quickness of the rejection

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »
 I walked in the door for an interview gave them my name and the front desk person told me thanks, but no thanks. It was clear that I was not physically what they wanted in an account rep. How someone was going to know if I was pretty or ugly over the phone, I have no idea.

veronaz

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 03:33:22 PM »
Well, that was quick.  But job interviewing can be so strange and the selection process can be baffling.  I would put it behind you and move on.

I’ve lost count of the times I thought an interview for the “perfect” job went great and then got a rejection or heard nothing.  It’s also happened to a lot of people I know.  I also tried to follow up a couple times and get some helpful feedback, but they never answered.

Once I had an interview, then a few hours later got a voicemail saying they had selected another candidate, but they felt I would be a better fit in another department and, if I was interested, wanted to put me in touch to schedule an interview.  I was interested, the other job paid a lot better, and I was hired.

kakack

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »
It sounds like they had an internal candidate that they wanted to put into the position, but had to do interviews to fulfill HR rules.  This is fairly commonplace in my industry.  Which stinks, especially when you think you have a real shot at the position.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 05:15:58 PM »
It sounds like they had an internal candidate that they wanted to put into the position, but had to do interviews to fulfill HR rules.  This is fairly commonplace in my industry.  Which stinks, especially when you think you have a real shot at the position.

Or possibly just that they interviewed someone else earlier they liked better - they felt obligated to interview you anyway since you already had it scheduled, but they knew right away that they were hiring the other person if you didn't completely blow them away.  I wouldn't worry about it - it happens, and at least they got back to you!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 05:24:36 PM »
I drove two hours for an interview today and 27 minutes after I left, got a prompt "you didn't get the job" email.

I'm not too upset I didn't get the job, it happens. What I am pretty upset about is the fact I didn't get home before I got the email.

So if you had lived 15 minutes away it wouldn't have bothered you? Or if she'd waited 2 hours and 27minutes but the ay still wasn't over, then it wouldn't have bothered you? I just don't get that...

Its ok to be frustrated or hurt to not get a job, especially after a long drive to interview, but I don't understand why their prompt feedback was specifically the issue.

NyaChan

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »
I can see why - it just emphasizes that I didn't even merit some consideration. It makes a person feel like they wasted their time, like you didn't even have a chance.

I felt like that when I flew to another city for an interview requiring me to spend the night and lose study time before finals only to find out that it was a courtesy interview and not a serious consideration of me as a candidate. 

veronaz

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 05:36:43 PM »

Or possibly just that they interviewed someone else earlier they liked better - they felt obligated to interview you anyway since you already had it scheduled, but they knew right away that they were hiring the other person if you didn't completely blow them away.  I wouldn't worry about it - it happens, and at least they got back to you!

Yes, it’s not uncommon.  I had a boss who used to more-or-less promise a position to someone, then he had to follow HR posting and interviewing requirements.  It was a shame because people would take time off, get all dressed up, come to the interview with their hopes up, and it was all just a formality and a waste of time.

I also remember once when I was scheduled for an interview at a place, I arranged to take some personal time off, and the day before I got a call saying they had already selected another candidate before even meeting me!  Apparently the other candidate “blew them away”, but they didn’t even give me a chance.  :-\  Then they sent me a rejection letter, saying “if things don’t work out…..”  Well, if things didn’t work out, that was their problem.  No, thanks.   >:(

Amara

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »
I had a boss who used to more-or-less promise a position to someone, then he had to follow HR posting and interviewing requirements.

This is so common in the university and community college in my town that there is only about a 20 percent chance the job is real.

alkira6

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 06:34:51 PM »
Yup. We are interviewing for positions at schools now and it is a total joke.  Every principal that I have ever spoken to over the years has freely admitted, some during the interview, that they already know who they want for the position, HR is just making them create a paper trail so that hiring "seems fair".  Burns me up.

Phoebe

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »

I'm not too upset I didn't get the job, it happens. What I am pretty upset about is the fact I didn't get home before I got the email.

So if you had lived 15 minutes away it wouldn't have bothered you? Or if she'd waited 2 hours and 27minutes but the ay still wasn't over, then it wouldn't have bothered you? I just don't get that...

Its ok to be frustrated or hurt to not get a job, especially after a long drive to interview, but I don't understand why their prompt feedback was specifically the issue.

I think the OP was bothered by the fact that it was so prompt as to suggest they were eager to let her know she didn't get the job.