General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Not the job for you, 27 minutes after the interview ends!

<< < (8/8)

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: Twik on June 27, 2013, 12:08:14 PM ---...   In the middle of the interview, one prof mentioned he'd just gotten a resume from someone else. They read it, while I was sitting there, and decided to hire that person on the spot.   ...

--- End quote ---

Wow. 

The good news is would you really want to work for an employer that would be so incredibly and unbelievably lacking in tact and diplomacy?

lilfox:
Yarnspinner, wouldn't they have been up a creek if you'd gotten the letter in enough time to cancel your interview?  Then they wouldn't have met their interview quota!   ::)

I once got a second rejection letter from a company a year after I had applied there (and been rejected at the time).  I definitely hadn't applied a second time, but somehow my original application was still in their system as "undesirable."

Even with good news, it makes a lot more sense to keep any interviewing/hiring decisions private until a formal offer is made, especially if there's no time pressure to fill the role.  Certainly not during or immediately after the interview!

Raintree:
All this stuff about interviewing for "appearance" to satisfy HR really blows my mind. How dare they waste people's time like that?

I was kind of irritated one time not to hear anything at all. I know this is the norm in some types of applications, in which you may be one of hundreds of applicants. But I was applying for something quite specialized in a very small office (think 5 people, no HR) and I can't imagine there would have been more than about 10 people interviewed. I kind of had a sense it was all over (something about her tone/body language) when she said, "OK, I have a few more people to interview next week and I will let you know." Fine, I sent my follow-up thank-you email and expressed my interest, to which she replied that she would "not know for at least a week." I wasn't really holding out much hope by then, but then she didn't even let me know at all. I thought that was rather rude of her; it's one thing when it's a large organization that has stated in advance that only selected candidates will be contacted, but a tiny office run by one woman, with only a few interviewees? Rude, I thought. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version