Author Topic: St. Augustine, FL in June  (Read 483 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
St. Augustine, FL in June
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:19:48 PM »
We're going tent camping for a week in mid to late June and I'm not sure what to pack as far as sleeping bags, etc. Can somebody tell me, on average, how low the temperature gets at night? Should I plan to use the bags or bring some light blankets instead? Will we have any need whatsoever for a light jacket or can those stay at home? Thanks!!

Hey, while I'm here, any recommendations for yummy yet inexpensive places to eat, preferably those who don't mind if you show up looking like you slept in a tent and then went swimming all day? I promise we'll be presentable but dressy places need not apply.  :P

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: St. Augustine, FL in June
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 12:25:39 PM »
Are you camping at Anastasia Island State Park? It is wonderful!

We generally use a foam mat with a sheet on it and a blanket if we get chilled. You will most likely have night time temperatures no colder than 60F. You will want a light hooded jacket for mornings and evenings. I would also recommend you take a rain jacket, as that is a rainy afternoon time of year.

I will look into restaurants and get back to you.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »
Are you camping at Anastasia Island State Park? It is wonderful!

We generally use a foam mat with a sheet on it and a blanket if we get chilled. You will most likely have night time temperatures no colder than 60F. You will want a light hooded jacket for mornings and evenings. I would also recommend you take a rain jacket, as that is a rainy afternoon time of year.

I will look into restaurants and get back to you.

Yes, it looks like such a neat place!! We are VERY excited. I think DH and I are as giddy as the kids. lol

Eesh, I had no idea about the rain. That was the only week DH could get off during summer break so we went for it. Well... I guess they make rain flaps for a reason. Hopefully everything will stay dry enough inside the tents. It'll be an adventure, anyway! Does it pour for hours or sprinkle for 20 minutes? Does it make the temp cool off? Will they close the beach? At our usual beach destination (Virginia Beach) the lifeguards kick everybody off when it rains because there's always a good chance the thunder and lightning will show up as well. We usually just go get an ice cream and head back when it clears up.  ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 12:58:28 PM »
I am not sure how much the beach is staffed, but they generally warn you to stay out of the water and find cover during lightning. You will need to secure all of your food in your car overnight, as the raccoons are habituated to raiding campsites. It usually rains for an hour or so. It does help to cool the days, but you are looking at mid 90's every day that time of year. Make sure you plan to visit the Castillo De San Marcos (http://www.nps.gov/casa/index.htm) and take the tour. The alligator farm is fun and a great opportunity for bird photography, the lighthouse is beautiful.

Great food in the old part of town, St. George street and Harry's Seafood.

JenJay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 01:06:42 PM »
I am not sure how much the beach is staffed, but they generally warn you to stay out of the water and find cover during lightning. You will need to secure all of your food in your car overnight, as the raccoons are habituated to raiding campsites. It usually rains for an hour or so. It does help to cool the days, but you are looking at mid 90's every day that time of year. Make sure you plan to visit the Castillo De San Marcos (http://www.nps.gov/casa/index.htm) and take the tour. The alligator farm is fun and a great opportunity for bird photography, the lighthouse is beautiful.

Great food in the old part of town, St. George street and Harry's Seafood.

We'd definitely get away from the water during a storm, I just wasn't sure if I should be expecting storms or light rain. So it's that bad? Dang. I might have to reconsider the trip. Heavy rain for an hour every day can really make a mess out of a campsite.  :-\

Edited because no, I can't cancel. My kids would be heartbroken. I'll have to pack an extra can of weatherproofing for the tents and a few extra games. We'll make the best of it. As long as it isn't raining for hours every day I suppose I can deal. Maybe I should start a new thread in Coffee Break for advice on tent camping in the rain.  :P
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 01:32:40 PM by JenJay »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 02:26:23 PM »
Do you have a heavy duty pop-up or other kind of shelter? If you do, that can be pleasant during a storm as long as it isn't blowing. Also, the bath houses are really nice and there are pavilions at the park that you could use in a storm.

JenJay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »
Do you have a heavy duty pop-up or other kind of shelter? If you do, that can be pleasant during a storm as long as it isn't blowing. Also, the bath houses are really nice and there are pavilions at the park that you could use in a storm.

Nope, we've got two tents (one large, one small) and a 10X10 canopy with a mesh lining to go around our picnic table to provide extra shade and keep the bugs away while we eat. We did get some heavier stakes to secure it better in case of wind, and it should come down quickly enough if need be. I guess we'll just have to monitor the weather as best we can and try to get the rain flaps on the tents and everything else inside them before it rains. Does the wind get bad enough that I should be concerned about tents? The campsite is nicely surrounded with trees and shrubs so that should help a lot.

DH is surprisingly mellow about it, it doesn't hurt that he's been eager to tour the lighthouse since Ghost Hunters did an episode about there. I'm trying to follow his lead. Hopefully the kids will find the swimming awesome enough to make the rain showers worth it.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 02:48:52 PM »
The wind gusts in a normal storm get up to 35mph, so not too terrible. You can manage it.