General Etiquette > Life...in general

What to do when you can't keep chewing?

<< < (2/4) > >>

LadyL:
I have also heard the rule of "how it came in is how it goes out" - so if you ate it with a fork, you spit it back onto your fork and put it on your plate.

A word of caution about trying to swallow gristle or tough meat - I did this at a bbq recently, but it was more like a piece of meat mostly split in two held together by gristle. When I tried to swallow, the pieces arranged themselves such that they blocked my airway - I was choking. I couldn't swallow the piece and I couldn't breathe. I didn't realize the severity of the situation in that moment, so I tried to force it down by taking a sip of my drink, but the fluid had nowhere to go so it came back out, and the force of me spitting out the drink dislodged the piece and it came back up. I was super lucky that it kind of took care of itself that way.

magicdomino:

--- Quote from: DavidH on June 11, 2013, 05:24:42 PM ---As I recall, the best answer is to swallow the offending bite if possible.  If not, my understanding is that food is conveyed from the mouth in the same way it is brought there.  If a fork brought it to the mouth, it is discretely spit/put back on the fork and conveyed to the rim of the plate there. 

That said, I'd discretely deposit in my napkin rather than leave it in plain sight.
--- End quote ---

Just don't pick up the napkin, forgetting that the offending lump is there.  It may go flying across the table.   ;)

MrsJWine:
I had no idea putting it back on your plate was considered okay manners. That would seriously gross me out. I have... issues with chewing and mouth noises, though, so take that with a grain of salt. It is something to keep in mind when you're out with other people, though; I can't be the only one.

m2kbug:
Partially chewed food on the plate would be disgusting.  Spit it into a napkin and place it on the side of the plate.  If cloth napkin, I would think you would do the same, though you would have to ask your server for a new napkin, perhaps they could dispose of the old one, and its contents, at the same time.

DottyG:

--- Quote ---A word of caution about trying to swallow gristle or tough meat - I did this at a bbq recently, but it was more like a piece of meat mostly split in two held together by gristle. When I tried to swallow, the pieces arranged themselves such that they blocked my airway
--- End quote ---

This.  Never try to swallow it.  Whatever you do, be it spit it into the napkin or into your hand or whatever else, don't try to swallow it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version