Author Topic: Is this rude?  (Read 1012 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Is this rude?
« on: June 16, 2013, 02:32:19 AM »
We stopped at the coffeehouse this evening on the way home.  They had a piano player and a singer as entertainment.  That singer had her speaker turned up so loud that you almost couldn't hear the quality of her voice, just a blasting noise.  I could tell she could sing, and she was doing standards, which I love, but trying to listen was just plain painful.
They were about to close, so we didn't stay, anyway, but on the way out I told my husband that the speaker was so loud you couldn't hear her delivery and that they should turn it down.  I think someone who knows her heard me and I  hope he passes it on to her.
Why, why, why do so many, many, many musicians turn it up to the hilt.  Is it because they have destroyed their hearing with the loud music or they think that if t is loud enough no one can make out the mistakes or what? 
I wonder if it would be OK to let her know, if I see her again, that she is drowning out her own lovely voice by not turning down the sound. 

I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Dawse

Re: Is this rude?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 03:03:35 AM »
No, I don't think it would be rude at all. As long as you go about it politely, constructive feedback is not rude in itself.

A possible explanation for the cranked up speakers might be a lack of sound check - especially if you are sat or stood behind the speakers, it can be quite hard to judge your own output. If the singer didn't get anyone to listen in on a quick bit of playing to get the levels right, the management of the cafe might just assume it's supposed to sound like that, particularly if they don't know much about staging live music.
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 05:35:43 AM »
It wouldn't be rude at all to ask if management could turn down the sound a bit.  We've done that several times in various venues and have never gotten a refusal. 

We certainly wouldn't ask for it in a dance club but, in a place where people come for conversation as well as music, a polite request is just fine.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 09:25:41 AM »
Personally, I dislike most live music at coffeehouse or lunch venues.  I'm coming to this location for a coffee/ sandwich and a reprieve from my busy day.  If you have classical musak playing, great, but the minute I see a singer or an amplifier, I will be eating or drinking in my car.  The Potbelly's near me does this during the lunch rush and the guy sits in a location where you are stuck hearing him no matter where you sit.  I came out to lunch so I could read, think or not think, and generally relax. 

You were fine to say something to your husband -- sure you probably had to yell, but that is not your fault.  Next time, mention it to the manager as well. 
Formerly Mrs.Bart

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 11:43:59 AM »
This always bugs me as well.  I cringe when I see bands or singers setting up in coffee houses or small restaurants.  It isn't because I don't like music, I absolutely do!  But, most of these places are simply too small to handle that loud of a sound without it getting painful.  I always end up sitting there wondering if I'm the only one who's ears feel like they might fall off and praying that there will be a break.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 01:14:38 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.   I know about the love of singing first hand.  I grew up singing with the family and love it so much.  I would definitely phrase it nicely.
The coffeehouse is so small that almost any live music is almost too loud.  I'm sure she didn't have anyone to check her sound.  If we are going to see someone specific I bring my discreet earplugs so I don't ruin my hearing.  We just dropped by last night after going to a luau and seeing a Hawaiian group play.  (Their sound was perfect, even for the indoor venue and bad acoustics.)
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cwm

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »
See, I don't mind live music somewhere, so long as you can still converse. In a small place, there is usually no reason to have an amplifier or speaker at all. But as soon as it gets too loud so that you can't recognize what they're singing or carry on a conversation without shouting, that's too much.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 01:59:33 PM »
See, I don't mind live music somewhere, so long as you can still converse. In a small place, there is usually no reason to have an amplifier or speaker at all. But as soon as it gets too loud so that you can't recognize what they're singing or carry on a conversation without shouting, that's too much.
It was like that in the coffeehouse that night...we did get a table and were really raising our voices at one another, just to be heard, then realized they were about to close anyway, so left.  What a relief.  We were going to stop there the other day but I remembered that they were having music so we just went home to avoid a repay.  I wonder if the know they are losing business.  We can't be the only ones.  If I had a place with music I would have to have some controls in place so customers didn't get driven away.