Author Topic: Giving up smoking  (Read 1545 times)

ellasaunt

Giving up smoking
« on: June 11, 2013, 06:56:35 PM »
I have decided the time has come to stop smoking. I have consulted my dr, and have the right cessation products for me.

I am sure many of you have gone through this - what hints and tips would you give someone embarking on this journey?  I must admit I am rather nervous about it,  I am worried that I am going to fail.

Thanks in advance

Amara

Re: Giving up smoking
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 07:27:16 PM »
Good luck, OP! Here is a timeline I think you will like seeing: http://whyquit.com/whyquit/A_Benefits_Time_Table.html

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 09:10:45 PM »
I have decided the time has come to stop smoking. I have consulted my dr, and have the right cessation products for me.

I am sure many of you have gone through this - what hints and tips would you give someone embarking on this journey?  I must admit I am rather nervous about it,  I am worried that I am going to fail.

Thanks in advance
I eliminated the triggers to smoke, which for me, was alcohol.  It was really easy to eliminate that one since I only drank when I went out somewhere and there are plenty of thirst quenchers out there (Water, usually).

I looked at people blowing smoke out of their mouths and noses and thought how weird it was, really, to suck smoke into your lungs and then blow it out through those orifices. 

Know when you usually reach for a cigarette and substitute something else for that, like a walk, or working on a hobby.

Put the money you save every time you don't buy a carton or a pack, into a special piggy bank and when you are tempted to buy cigarettes, add the cost of cigarettes to it and be proud that none of that savings literally didn't go up in smoke.

List why you want to quit and keep it handy to remind yourself of the reasons.

One of the rewards of quitting for me, was never ever having to think, "Did I put out that cigarette before I left the  house?"  Or "Do I have enough cigarettes to take me through the day?" or "I hope I can smoke there (wherever you are going)"

It isn't easy sometimes, but I have never regretted quitting and it's been 25 years.

I wish you the best in this. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:12:26 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:45:25 PM »
Remember that a nicotine fit lasts at most 2-3 minutes.  You can certainly refrain from smoking for 2-3 minutes. 

schnauzermom

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 10:51:24 PM »
what helped me was that cigarettes were going to go up to $15 a carton. I quit in 1987, it was one of the best things I ever did.

Karen

Brock

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 11:01:18 PM »
My partner hates smoking (his father had lung cancer) so that was really, the biggest help (oddly, my own knowledge of the fact I was potentially killing myself was not enough).

One thing that helped me get through *and commit* was the statistic: it takes 6 days for nicotine to completely leave the body, both a short enough goal to reach, and one long enough, you don't want to start over.

I'm smoke free one year this past March (after having smoked 8+ years).

Another factor of success was realizing that I cannot have even one cigarette.  One is enough to motivate me to get a whole pack, etc etc.  N.O.P.E. Is my motto:  Not One Puff EVER
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 11:05:33 PM »
ellasaunt - if you just wanna vent to someone about how much quitting smoking sucks, PM me, I'll give you my cell # and you can text me anytime you are having trouble. (I would have PMed you this msg, but I don't know how on my mobile,haha, but do know how to access my inbox)
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

delabela

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 11:07:47 PM »
Good for you! 

I would say stay out of places that you are used to smoking for a little while - like I had to stay away from specific bars/restaurants for a month or so.  Also, if you are a fidgeter, have something to do with your hands.  I have a pen on me most of the time and fiddle with that, or something like worry beads. 

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 12:31:51 AM »
I'm not a smoker, but I have approached "making my clothes bigger" this way...

Take it one moment at a time.  Don't look ahead and say, CRUD MONKEYS!, how am I going to go all day long without smoking. Tell yourself, I don't need this cigarette right now.

Get up, and instead of smoking drink a glass of water. It won't be the same, but you need to develop new habits. The old habit was smoking, make the new habit a glass of water. If you smoked first, then showered, take your shower first, then get dressed.

Keep repeating to yourself, one moment at a time, I can do this.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 12:42:53 AM »
I had to quit last year because I developed asthma.  I miss it sometimes, but smoking surely contributed to the asthma, and I'll most likely have that for the rest of my life.  I wish you luck!  Asthma is probably the smallest thing that smoking can cause.

leaf_eater

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 02:04:24 AM »
I quit in January 2012 and I am very happy that I finally gave it up. I started with using an electronic cigarette and then switched to nicotine gum and lozenges for a few months. I focused on people I knew who had quit as my inspiration.

I also made a simple list that reflected why I wanted to quit: It's Dirty, Irresponsible and Expensive and I would repeat that to myself when I was wanting to smoke.

Best of luck, it's worth it!

onikenbai

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 02:34:07 AM »
When I was little my mother was a smoker and she always used our glassware as ashtrays instead of an actual ashtray.  But she also didn't do the dishes really thoroughly, so every time I got a drink, my juice had this floaty layer of cigarette ash and I ended up drinking it.  It was kind of disgusting.  Lord knows how many cigarettes I ended up eating by the time I was 10.  Ashy food and beverages... have a go with that.  The icky mental picture enough might work for you as a deterrent.

Cereal Killer

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 03:49:12 AM »
Great!

I quit about five years ago, after smoking for about 10 years.

To me, the trick was not to think too much about it. Every time I thought about NOT smoking, like ever again, it was really really really tempting to smoke one. But all the time I decidedly did not give it a thought it was all right. It got easier every day, the not thinking about it.

I also found it helpful to have something with a strong flavour in my mouth. To me, the best thing was salt liquourice but I understand it's not too popular internationally.

A third thing: If you end up smoking one, remember that it doesnt't have to mean that you have lost the game. Smoking one does not make you buy a whole pack and start smoking regularly again. Just continue not smoking.

Good luck! Stay strong!

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 04:10:29 AM »
My 10 year quit date is coming up in August and I will celebrate like anything because it is the hardest thing I ever did, and you're talking to someone who's lost 6 dress sizes.

The key for me was accepting that I am addicted to cigarettes. Like an alcoholic, I simply can't start again because I won't stop. I regard cigarettes as dangerous to me and do what I need to do to protect myself. I will leave gatherings where people are smoking saying "Sorry, I have to go, I'm in danger of snatching the cigarette out of your hands, I can't break my quit!" I won't even go to smokey places if I can help it. Thank goodness for the smoking ban!

Junkie thinking post at the AS3 forum: http://www.as3-web.org/discuss/index.php?PHPSESSID=ujv8p5hepvcokkk12ad13fq6u2&topic=440.0 They helped me stay quit. Read it, then ask who read your mind!

I gave myself three  months to eat what I wanted because nothing was more important than my quit. I could do anything so long as I didn't break my quit. My quit is still my priority after ten years.

Get a meter and post it on a forum or facebook. Some days all that kept me going was not resetting my meter.

MrTango

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »
I found it was most helpful to replace the cigarette with something else for a while.  I bought a couple jumbo bags of Lifesavers.  I kept one bag in the car for whenever I had a craving to smoke, and I kept another bag in my backpack.