Author Topic: Giving up smoking  (Read 1981 times)

Coralreef

Re: Giving up smoking
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 08:45:16 AM »
I've never smoked, but my dad was a 3 pack per day smoker.  After his first heart attack, he stopped for one year. They money saved went for an all paid trip to Disney for him, mom, my brother and my aunt.   

Anyway, I just want to congratulate all of those wanting to quit, in the process of quitting or long time quitters.  Nicotine is one of the hardest drug to get over, so kudos to all of you. 

[/right

AnnaJ

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 01:13:33 AM »
Good luck - it's been almost five years for me.

I had quit before and when I started again a few months later I discovered I hated the smell of stale smoke - yes, I smoked but didn't like the smell, go figure.  It annoyed me that as soon as I smoked a cigarette after I showered I smelled like smoke.

So one of the things that finally helped me to quit was smell - I bought some wonderful smelling shower soap and lotion, and brushed my teeth several times a day.  When I was having a 'gotta have a cigarette' moment I'd take a deep breath, let it out slowly, and just enjoy that non-smoky breath.

Oh Joy

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 07:33:31 AM »
Something different works for everyone, but I liked eliminating one place at a time.  Something like at work, then in the car, then at home, then with my social group.  It was easier knowing I'd be having one later (or much later), then whatever the last place was ended up being like tying up a loose end.  Never felt like I was quitting in big red letters as a huge mind-consuming life event.

Best wishes.

hjaye

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 07:53:59 PM »
All I know is Chantix worked for me and for my wife.  It took me two weeks, but I went from a pack to a pack and a half a day, to just no having the desire.  Once my wife saw how it worked for me, she got her doctor to prescribe it and it took her two weeks as well.  There were no withdrawals, no cravings we had to beat back, we just didn't want to smoke anymore.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 09:06:17 PM »
You can do this and the difference in how you feel once you have will be all the reward you need.

I quit cold turkey in 2009.  I was developing asthma and the feeling of not being able to get a full breath truly scared me.  I knew it would only get worse from there - so I quit. (My husband quit 2 years before me - he used Chantix and went from a pack a day to nothing in about two weeks.)

It was the hardest thing I've ever done and I didn't truly get over the desire to smoke for about a year. 

If you are a drinker - and smoke when you drink - my suggestion would be to quit drinking for awhile until you feel like you have a firm grip on kicking the nicotine addiction.  I stayed away from all things alcohol related for several months.

Good Luck!

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 01:50:00 AM »
I went on the patch years ago and successfully quit for a long time, then started again... my fault... stress in my life.

Anyway, the times I missed the smokes the most was mostly at habitual times.  When I got into the car was the most I needed will power.  It was habit to get into the car, grab and smoke and drive.   The next was after eating. 

Try to distract yourself by chewing gum or having another thing to distract you at hot button craving times.

Remember, you WILL have to talk yourself out of having one many times.  The longer you go without one, the easier it gets.  If you fall off the wagon, don't beat yourself up, just get right back on again.

While the patch didn't do it for me several years ago, cold turkey worked for me 5 years ago and I have been smoke free since Oct 2008.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 07:20:34 AM »
I "quit" about 20 years ago. I was less than a pack a day person and had only smoked for about 5 years so may. I might have had the addiction that others had. But the reason I put quit in quotes was because I didn't decide to quit put to postpone when I would smoke next. I dont like saying i'll never do something again. I liked smoking and didnt want to give it up completely though I knew I should. So I decided to reduce the amount I smoked. I  played the "OK, I'll see if I can go 2 days". Then after 2 I decided to try for a week, then a month, then a year went by. After about a year I did smoke with a friend one afternoon, but felt physically ill the next day. I'd say over the last 20 yrs I've smoked a dozen or so times, always when drinking, and the next day I feel gross.

So I say I didn't quit, I just smole very infrequently.

Oh, also, weekly I put the money I would have spent cigarettes into a jar in my bedroom. While the bank would have been better, I liked seeing it ever day.  After the first year I had a nice chunk of change that I used to pay for a weekend get away.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 10:23:34 AM »
I found that when I had cravings deep breathing helped - also drinking lots of orange juice and cranberry juice for some reason really helped with cravings. 

I also had a mind-set of "I don't smoke" rather than "I'm quitting smoking".  I think that helped enormously.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »
Non-smoker, so no advice, but plenty of congrats and admiration for making the decision. I know it's a tough thing to kick, but you're tougher! Here's something cool to think about though- DH has always been a terrific cook, but when he quit smokeless tobacco, his cooking got even better. I chalk it up to his sense of taste becoming more refined since he didn't have his old habit interfering. Definite plus!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 01:54:32 PM »
I found that when I had cravings deep breathing helped - also drinking lots of orange juice and cranberry juice for some reason really helped with cravings. 

I also had a mind-set of "I don't smoke" rather than "I'm quitting smoking".  I think that helped enormously.
I forgot about that...I also had the "I don't smoke" mindset.  That helped me, too.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.