Author Topic: Injured at store--should I follow up and how  (Read 9588 times)

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
Injured at store--should I follow up and how
« on: June 12, 2013, 01:53:58 AM »
Today I was browsing an import store chain.  There was a table topped with rough hewn wood and banded with metal.  I reached out to feel the surface and it ripped a small tear into my hand.  I thought I had gotten a splinter but it tore up a small piece of skin about and eighth of an inch wide and a half inch long.  It's on my hand just below my pinkie finger.

It was bleeding like mad and I found an employee and asked for first aid.  She took me into the back so I could rinse it off and put some bandages on it.  That was pretty much it.  She made a comment that "that was the first time that's happened!"

I hate it when people say things like that.  I didn't do anything extraordinary.  I just touched it as one would normally do when checking out a piece of furniture.

My trip was not for naught.  I had considered purchasing some teal seat cushions at their competitor for $24 ea and I found something very similar (better actually) on sale for $8.50 ea.

But, I am wondering if I should follow up with corporate.  The cut has been hurting all day.  :/  I don't know if i would say they owe me something for the pain I am going through, but I would at least like to know that they are taking it seriously.  The table needs to be sanded or covered or its going to bite someone else!

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: Injured at store--should I follow up and how
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 02:02:25 AM »
This could get into legal territory.

I would see a doctor and get any report and receipts.  If you have any out of pocket costs, I think you're in the clear to pursue the store for those.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 05:31:25 AM »

But, I am wondering if I should follow up with corporate.  The cut has been hurting all day.  :/  I don't know if i would say they owe me something for the pain I am going through, but I would at least like to know that they are taking it seriously.  The table needs to be sanded or covered or its going to bite someone else!

And with those words you opened the door to a legal discussion, although that's not to say it wouldn't have gone there anyway. 

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

DavidH

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 05:48:06 AM »
You can contact them, but I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish.  If the table was a display and it's that rough, then it should be fixed.  If it's an item for sale, then it would be useful to find out if they all are that rough or just that particular one. 

It sounds like you have a rather small cut, so I can't imagine going to see a doctor or anything like that unless I thought it had gotten infected.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother since it sounds pretty minor.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 05:57:05 AM »
You can contact them, but I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish.  If the table was a display and it's that rough, then it should be fixed.  If it's an item for sale, then it would be useful to find out if they all are that rough or just that particular one. 

It sounds like you have a rather small cut, so I can't imagine going to see a doctor or anything like that unless I thought it had gotten infected.

If it were me, I wouldn't bother since it sounds pretty minor.

POD.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

AuntyEm

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:44:47 AM »
Yes, it sounds like one of those annoying things that happen in life.  Nice of the store to let you clean it and put on a bandage.

veronaz

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 09:23:18 AM »
She made a comment that "that was the first time that's happened!"

I hate it when people say things like that.  I didn't do anything extraordinary.  I just touched it as one would normally do when checking out a piece of furniture.

I don't think she was baing accusatory or trying to say it was your fault.  It was just something to say; she probably didn't know what to say.

You should see a doctor.

Curious Cat

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »
Yes, it sounds like one of those annoying things that happen in life.  Nice of the store to let you clean it and put on a bandage.

No it wasn't "nice" of the store to "let" her clean up. She was injured as a result of the stores carelessness, and they have a responsibility to A do everything they can do make sure she is ok and B make sure the same thing doesn't happen again.

While they did alright on the first part (7/10 if this was a scores competition) it seems like they get a big fat 0 on the second part.

OP I would call the store just to let them know what happened so they can take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again - just be very matter of fact on X day Y & Z occurred.  And you were doing a follow up call to make sure management was aware of the  problem.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
I have seen tables and furniture like you describe and while they are very pretty to look at, they can give you splinters and cuts if you run your hand across them a certain way.  And while not practical, that rough wood look is what some people desire.  To sand it and "fix" it, would ruin that.

I think the store should have a sign or something on the table stating that the table is rough and customers should either not touch it or touch it at thier own risk.  If you do decide to talk to corporate, I would focus more on suggestions of what they can do to prevent other customers from getting injured vs. suggesting that they owe you or didn't do enough to help you. 

It seems to me that the employee did well when you reported the injury.  And I don't think you can expect that much more would come out of it. 

sweetonsno

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 12:33:47 PM »
What is your goal in "following up"? If you're wondering whether you should try to go for a coupon or reimbursement for medical bills, then that's a legal question. If you want some sort of official apology, well, I think that's kind of silly. It sounds like the employee responded to the problem pretty well by helping you take care of your injury and reassuring you that it wasn't an ongoing problem. (Small comfort, I know, but better than hearing "oh, that happens all the time.")

The only reason I would follow up with management is to make sure that someone checked the display table to make sure there weren't any other slivers.

silvercelt

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 01:02:52 PM »
Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't offer some sort of apology when it first happened, and that a store manager didn't try to speak with you after the incident.

Definitely contact them to let them know what happened and that they should do something to prevent it in the future.  That's as far as I'd take it, though.

I was injured in a Starbucks once.  Two older women were acting like teenagers, jostling each other around, and one slammed into the display rack with mugs on it.  The mugs shattered when they hit the ground, and a chunk of one ricocheted straight into my big toe, which immediately started gushing blood.

One of the women responsible told me that I should sue the store.  I tried to be polite, but I told her I didn't know why Starbucks would be responsible for two grown customers acting like children.
The staff was fantastic in helping me get patched up, and I suggested that maybe putting displays like that (free standing in the middle of the area right next to the register) so close to where the line forms wasn't a good idea, but that was as far as I needed to go.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 01:17:03 PM »
If it were me, the first thing I'd do is see a Dr, even if just one of those walk-in 'urgent care" type places. After all you say the cut was "bleeding like mad" and hours later it still hurts. Go make sure its properly cleaned out (maybe there is a splinter in there) and its not infected (how many germs might be on a display table thousands of people touch and sneeze on?)

Then if you do follow up with the store you have something to say to them "it ended up not being a big deal'' or "I ended up with an infection which cost me $257 between the Dr's visit and the prescription."

amylouky

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 01:34:16 PM »
I'd follow up, only to make sure that the problem gets fixed. I had a minor incident at a buffet restaurant once, where the hot fudge dispenser malfunctioned and splashed boiling water all over the front of my shirt and my arm. It wasn't a serious injury, although I had tiny little burn dots all over my chest/arm. But I did insist that the restaurant manager file an incident report, because although it splashed me on the arm, it would have been at face level if it had been a child using it.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »
Are you up-to-date on your tetanus shots?

I got a gash in my foot from a wooden shipping flat thingy (that's the technical term for it!). First thing I did was get a new shot, just to be on the safe side.

As far as contacting them, I definitely would let someone know - just to make sure it doesn't happen to someone else.  Obviously it's a problem, whether you were the first or the hundred and first person to do it.  They need to do something about it to fix it.  Not to get anyone in trouble, but to remedy an obvious issue.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:43:59 PM by DottyG »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 01:45:59 PM »
silvercelt, did the woman ever actually apologize to you?  I would have been so angry at them for acting like toddlers (although, that's not fair to toddlers who know how to properly behave).