Author Topic: Injured at store--should I follow up and how  (Read 7890 times)

Phoebe

Re: Injured at store--should I follow up and how
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 06:34:53 PM »
I wouldn't do more than what you've already done.  An employee was notified.   It's not the store's fault you touched something that you knew was rough-hewn. 

Life happens.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 06:58:33 PM »
I wouldn't do more than what you've already done.  An employee was notified.   It's not the store's fault you touched something that you knew was rough-hewn. 

Life happens.

This.  It's just one of those things that happen.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Audrey Quest

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 07:49:01 PM »
You know one thing I should get them to do is have a decent first aid kit.  The employee was fumbling about  in the break room to find a bandaid and was looking for antiseptic which they never found.  They really didnt have anything readily available for use.

That's the second place of business this year that I have needed simple first aid and it was not readily available.

Maybe what I need to do is talk to one of the scouting groups around here and have them follow up with area businesses to see if they have adequate first aid kits--it might make a good Eagle Scout project

When my boys were in scouts they made first aid kits for our families--they were really comprehensive.

Please avoid the legalities of liability such a thing might pose. Businesses can make that decision on their own.  But, for the sake of their employees and customers, it might make sense to offer them the opportunity to be better prepered.

And particularly if they are going to sell tables that bite.   :P

katycoo

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 07:57:18 PM »
Calling them about their first aid situation is appropriate I think.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 07:59:52 PM »
I think that if a store has a piece of furniture that causes injury, their corporate offices would want to know about that.  Sure, the first aid kit thing is worth mentioning, but their furniture shouldn't cut people, I don't care what kind of furniture it is.  It needs to be smooth enough that it isn't unsafe.

Audrey Quest

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 08:23:22 PM »
I think that if a store has a piece of furniture that causes injury, their corporate offices would want to know about that.  Sure, the first aid kit thing is worth mentioning, but their furniture shouldn't cut people, I don't care what kind of furniture it is.  It needs to be smooth enough that it isn't unsafe.

I agree.  I am going to find a way to contact them and just explan what happened.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 08:27:10 PM »
Maybe what I need to do is talk to one of the scouting groups around here and have them follow up with area businesses to see if they have adequate first aid kits--it might make a good Eagle Scout project

I like this idea.  Sounds like a great learning project for the Eagle Scouts!  And, like you say, the businesses don't have to actually accept them if they don't want to.  But it'd be a great way to get the boys involved in their communities.  And, who knows, businesses may think it's a great idea, too.  Most businesses love to encourage the Eagle Scouts!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 08:32:34 PM »
It's not the store's fault you touched something that you knew was rough-hewn. 

Life happens.

I agree with you a bit and disagree with you a bit.

I don't think the OP needs to go on "full on attack mode" with this.  You're right; life happens.  Sometimes, you get hurt out there.

But from the description of the item (" There was a table topped with rough hewn wood and banded with metal."), I don't know that I'd have really expected it to cause such a wound.  OP, can you clarify a bit what this was?  Was it really a table - like something you'd eat off of?  If so, I wouldn't really expect that to be so rough-hewn that it'd cause a gash like she got.  It sounds like something that the store might want to take a quick look at to see if something's damaged a bit.  A table shouldn't be that dangerous.

I'm not saying to contact them to get anyone into trouble.  Or to cause problems.  I'm saying that the table she was looking at has a flaw in it (it sounds like) that shouldn't be there.  They might want to either remove that particular table or get some sandpaper and fix whatever's wrong with it, so someone else doesn't have the same problem.  This isn't a case of "the store's fault" as much as it's a matter of just making sure that something that sounds like it's broken needs to be fixed out on the storeroom floor.

Phoebe

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 09:16:29 PM »
It's not the store's fault you touched something that you knew was rough-hewn. 

Life happens.

I agree with you a bit and disagree with you a bit.

I don't think the OP needs to go on "full on attack mode" with this.  You're right; life happens.  Sometimes, you get hurt out there.

But from the description of the item (" There was a table topped with rough hewn wood and banded with metal."), I don't know that I'd have really expected it to cause such a wound.  OP, can you clarify a bit what this was?  Was it really a table - like something you'd eat off of?  If so, I wouldn't really expect that to be so rough-hewn that it'd cause a gash like she got.  It sounds like something that the store might want to take a quick look at to see if something's damaged a bit.  A table shouldn't be that dangerous.

I'm not saying to contact them to get anyone into trouble.  Or to cause problems.  I'm saying that the table she was looking at has a flaw in it (it sounds like) that shouldn't be there.  They might want to either remove that particular table or get some sandpaper and fix whatever's wrong with it, so someone else doesn't have the same problem.  This isn't a case of "the store's fault" as much as it's a matter of just making sure that something that sounds like it's broken needs to be fixed out on the storeroom floor.

I reached out to feel the surface and it ripped a small tear into my hand.  I thought I had gotten a splinter but it tore up a small piece of skin about and eighth of an inch wide and a half inch long.  It's on my hand just below my pinkie finger.

A *gash*?  Really?  I've had paper cuts bigger than that.  And the OP did inform the store by telling an employee.  It hardly rates a letter to corporate to take care of something like this.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 09:21:47 PM »
It hardly rates a letter to corporate to take care of something like this.

I don't recall saying anything about writing to Corporate.  This is not Corporate:

It sounds like something that the store might want to take a quick look at

It appears you have my post mixed up with someone else's.

And, yes, I used the word "gash."  It, apparently, wasn't actually that bad.  It was just a word I used - please excuse my perhaps using the wrong word for it.  But it was an injury that was bleeding.  And it was because of a part of a table that shouldn't cause an injury at all.  Having someone at the store (whether that's a manager or even just the salesperson) take a quick look at the table to make sure there isn't something sticking out that shouldn't be isn't too much to ask.  It's probably something that quickly and easily able to be fixed.  But it shouldn't nick someone's skin - regardless of how much of a "gash" it is.  It's a table.  Tables don't usually do that, in my experience, unless there's something sticking out that shouldn't be.

I hardly think a quick comment of "Oh hey, by the way, didn't know if you'd realized it, but that table over there has a board that's not quite nailed down properly*.  Looks like it came loose and is now able to catch on people's clothes or skin.  Might want to take a look at it to see if it can be fixed" is all that inappropriate.  I've worked in stores before, and I can't imagine being offended as a salesperson by someone that called my attention to something that needed to be checked.  It would seem to me that a store would appreciate a heads up that one of their products was broken/damaged.

*or whatever the problem is with the thing - I'm generalizing

ETA: I just realized where the word "gash" came in.  I'd used that word in an earlier post to describe an injury I had - and it was a gash.  It was deep and long and much more than your described paper cut.  And it did require some medical attention.  I, accidentally, carried the word from my story over to the post above.  Forgive me.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:41:13 PM by DottyG »

Audrey Quest

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 10:15:37 PM »
The point is that touching the surface of a dining table displayed in a store should not result in skin being ripped off and blood being spilled at all.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 10:25:08 PM »

Life happens.

I agree, it sounds like a very mild injury to me, and it should be possible to see if a table has rough edges or not.  I'd put this on the customer not looking at the furniture rather than the store having a problem.

I'm pretty accident-prone myself, and I would never consider someone else responsible for an injury like this.  It would be my issue for not looking before I touched. 

It sounds like they helped the OP out by letting her use their facilities to wash her cut and by giving her  bandages, so I'd see that as pretty good customer service, rather than as something worthy of complaint.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 10:27:39 PM »
The point is that touching the surface of a dining table displayed in a store should not result in skin being ripped off and blood being spilled at all.

Who'd want to buy a dining table that cuts you?!

I wouldn't think  twice about touching such a thing in a store at all.

Otterpop

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 12:13:48 AM »

Who'd want to buy a dining table that cuts you?!

I wouldn't think  twice about touching such a thing in a store at all.

Yeah, furniture shouldn't make you bleed.  I think the store should be on notice about that table.  Hope you feel better, cuts on the hand are annoying and painful.

Oh Joy

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 02:03:04 AM »
You know one thing I should get them to do is have a decent first aid kit.  The employee was fumbling about  in the break room to find a bandaid and was looking for antiseptic which they never found.  They really didnt have anything readily available for use.

That's the second place of business this year that I have needed simple first aid and it was not readily available.

I appreciate your intention, but disagree with your premise.  While I expect entertainment venues and some other establishments to provide first aid services (and used to serve as an EMT at several), I don't expect a retail store to provide customers with so much as a band aid.  Anything offered at all is a bonus.  First aid kits are for employees, and the contents of those are not the customer's concern. 

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.