Author Topic: Injured at store--should I follow up and how  (Read 8904 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Injured at store--should I follow up and how
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 10:07:24 AM »
I wouldn't do more than what you've already done.  An employee was notified.   It's not the store's fault you touched something that you knew was rough-hewn. 

Life happens.

ITA.

I used to be a retail merchandiser at several Walmart stores.  :P One time I was scanning jar candles when I cut myself on a piece of glass from a previously-broken candle. I was not happy about it, and if I'd been a customer the store would have probably been dealing with a much bigger issue. Still, I left it at notifying the store manager about the shards of glass (at child-level!) and getting a bandaid from them.

Life does indeed happen.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »
First aid kits are for employees, and the contents of those are not the customer's concern. 

Having worked retail in many different places, I have to wonder what you are basing this on.  IMO, first aid kits are for anyone who needs them.  Every retail place I ever worked had one, and they were most definitely NOT just for the employees.

silvercelt

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »
silvercelt, did the woman ever actually apologize to you?  I would have been so angry at them for acting like toddlers (although, that's not fair to toddlers who know how to properly behave).

Not at all.  She actually acted offended that I blamed her.  I was so angry at her and her friend, but trying to stay calm because the workers of the store were freaking out about my getting injured. 

Oh Joy

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 11:34:14 AM »
First aid kits are for employees, and the contents of those are not the customer's concern. 

Having worked retail in many different places, I have to wonder what you are basing this on.  IMO, first aid kits are for anyone who needs them.  Every retail place I ever worked had one, and they were most definitely NOT just for the employees.

I think there's an important distinction (and others may disagree) in that employers provide first aid kits to employees as an obligation, but to customers as a courtesy.  I'd welcome feedback about its contents from employees or my risk management team, but if a customer tried to make a Scout project out of something I share as a courtesy, I would not be receptive.  Polite, :) but not appreciative.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »

I think there's an important distinction (and others may disagree) in that employers provide first aid kits to employees as an obligation, but to customers as a courtesy.  I'd welcome feedback about its contents from employees or my risk management team, but if a customer tried to make a Scout project out of something I share as a courtesy, I would not be receptive.  Polite, :) but not appreciative.

If someone is injured in your store, do you think it's merely a "curtsey" to help them tend to their injuries?

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2013, 11:55:01 AM »

I agree, I really don't see this as appropriate. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2013, 12:01:46 PM »

If someone is injured in your store, do you think it's merely a "curtsey" to help them tend to their injuries?

Not to get legal, but I'd see it as a liability. Unless my staff are trained medical professionals - which most retail employees are not - I wouldn't officially want them to do anything except offer to call a medical professional such as an ambulance, and perhaps offer the use of a sink, or offer a seat.

I say "officially" because I wouldn't mind if a staff member offered a bandaid, but it would never be the official written protocol.

Oh Joy

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »

Certainly not.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2013, 12:10:02 PM »

Not to get legal, but I'd see it as a liability. Unless my staff are trained medical professionals - which most retail employees are not - I wouldn't officially want them to do anything except offer to call a medical professional such as an ambulance, and perhaps offer the use of a sink, or offer a seat.

I say "officially" because I wouldn't mind if a staff member offered a bandaid, but it would never be the official written protocol.
Cass already weighed in on my  gettting too lose to the issue.  Why would you bring this up?  I specifically asked that liability not be brought up because of that.

Not that you have to do as I ask, but seriously, do you think that saying "not to get legal" negates bringing up something that is comepletely and specifically legal?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »
You know one thing I should get them to do is have a decent first aid kit.  The employee was fumbling about  in the break room to find a bandaid and was looking for antiseptic which they never found.  They really didnt have anything readily available for use.

That's the second place of business this year that I have needed simple first aid and it was not readily available.

Maybe what I need to do is talk to one of the scouting groups around here and have them follow up with area businesses to see if they have adequate first aid kits--it might make a good Eagle Scout project

When my boys were in scouts they made first aid kits for our families--they were really comprehensive.

Please avoid the legalities of liability such a thing might pose. Businesses can make that decision on their own.  But, for the sake of their employees and customers, it might make sense to offer them the opportunity to be better prepered.

And particularly if they are going to sell tables that bite.   :P

I know these are just turns of phrase, but honestly, you don't really have that sort of standing here. This is not your business; not your scouting group; not your authority.

I think you should consider yourself done with this issue.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 12:20:16 PM »
You know one thing I should get them to do is have a decent first aid kit.  The employee was fumbling about  in the break room to find a bandaid and was looking for antiseptic which they never found.  They really didnt have anything readily available for use.

That's the second place of business this year that I have needed simple first aid and it was not readily available.

Maybe what I need to do is talk to one of the scouting groups around here and have them follow up with area businesses to see if they have adequate first aid kits--it might make a good Eagle Scout project

When my boys were in scouts they made first aid kits for our families--they were really comprehensive.

Please avoid the legalities of liability such a thing might pose. Businesses can make that decision on their own.  But, for the sake of their employees and customers, it might make sense to offer them the opportunity to be better prepered.

I know these are just turns of phrase, but honestly, you don't really have that sort of standing here. This is not your business; not your scouting group; not your authority.

It's my community!  Many of my friends have kids that are active in Scouts. My kids were Scouts! And this is a business that I patronize.  I would say that's plenty of standing!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 12:21:31 PM »

Cass already weighed in on my  gettting too lose to the issue.  Why would you bring this up?  I specifically asked that liability not be brought up because of that.

Not that you have to do as I ask, but seriously, do you think that saying "not to get legal" negates bringing up something that is comepletely and specifically legal?

I was replying to different situation then your OP. Someone asked about first aid being provided being a courtesy stores should provide to customers. As a store manager, this is my answer to that query, as opposed to your OP. I said "not to get legal" to clarify why I didn't go into the details of legalities and instead merely mentioned a broad reasoning: liability.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »
I want to thank everyone for their replies.

I have contacted TPTB (the powers that be) about the incident and also have left a review on the table in question.

I mentioned the idea about first aid kits to my friend who is a Scout leader and she is looking into it.  The boys are always looking for ways to serve the community.  Putting together first aid kits is one of them.  Usually they only do it for residents but she said they might consider branching out.

My hand is still pretty painful but it will probably heal up enough over the weekend.  Thank you for the kind wishes.

Phoebe

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 07:52:20 PM »

It's my community!  Many of my friends have kids that are active in Scouts. My kids were Scouts! And this is a business that I patronize.  I would say that's plenty of standing!

Oh my goodness, silly season is upon us!

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2013, 08:38:54 PM »
Come on, that was uncalled for. I don't care what you think but I care when you post snotty comments.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.