Author Topic: Injured at store--should I follow up and how  (Read 9577 times)

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
Re: Injured at store--should I follow up and how
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2013, 03:47:40 PM »
I have worked in several restaurants with very well stocked first aid kits.

We as employees were told that we should not give out any medical supplies to customers, especially not the medicines like aspirin because we could get in to legal trouble dispensing that stuff. If a customer gets hurt in the restaurant or needs medical help, call the ambulance. Depending on severity, obviously.
No matter where you go, there you are...

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2013, 01:11:17 PM »
You know one thing I should get them to do is have a decent first aid kit.  The employee was fumbling about  in the break room to find a bandaid and was looking for antiseptic which they never found.  They really didnt have anything readily available for use.

That's the second place of business this year that I have needed simple first aid and it was not readily available.

Maybe what I need to do is talk to one of the scouting groups around here and have them follow up with area businesses to see if they have adequate first aid kits--it might make a good Eagle Scout project

When my boys were in scouts they made first aid kits for our families--they were really comprehensive.

Please avoid the legalities of liability such a thing might pose. Businesses can make that decision on their own.  But, for the sake of their employees and customers, it might make sense to offer them the opportunity to be better prepered.

And particularly if they are going to sell tables that bite.   :P

I know these are just turns of phrase, but honestly, you don't really have that sort of standing here. This is not your business; not your scouting group; not your authority.

I think you should consider yourself done with this issue.

It's my community!  Many of my friends have kids that are active in Scouts. My kids were Scouts! And this is a business that I patronize.  I would say that's plenty of standing!

Not necessarily.  There are usually public organizations that oversee businesses/first-aid kits - such as the public health department, or Workers Compensation.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2013, 01:49:02 PM »
It's not "standing enough" to go to the store and "have them" do anything.
You don't get to tell them what to do.

You can suggest.

Mikayla

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 02:00:19 PM »
The point is that touching the surface of a dining table displayed in a store should not result in skin being ripped off and blood being spilled at all.

First, I love your Boy Scout idea.  It's not just the Scouts supporting the community; it's the community supporting the Scouts.  Heck, if they stopped by my home, I'd probably buy one, too.  It's better than big, bad tasting chocolate bars.

On the bolded, though, the word "should" can be a minefield. Of course, it should not have happened.  But life is full of these.  Just think back to mistakes you've made in your job that should not have happened, and likely inconconvienced (or worse) others.  If it was an honest oversight, how much punishment do you think you deserved?

I also agree with others that a furniture store should not be expected to carry first aid.  To me, it's in the same category as hand sanitizer or candy.  If it's available, it's great PR, but I wouldn't leave a place and whine that someone sneezed while I was in there and they didn't have hand wipes for my use. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 09:03:19 PM »

We as employees were told that we should not give out any medical supplies to customers, especially not the medicines like aspirin because we could get in to legal trouble dispensing that stuff. If a customer gets hurt in the restaurant or needs medical help, call the ambulance. Depending on severity, obviously.

If a customer had a little cut on her finger, would you offer a bandaid?

KB

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »

Unfortunately even that is risky nowdays. I'm allergic to almost all adhesive bandaging, and while I'm not about to demand compensation over the inflammation, rash and possible skin loss that follows, there would be people who might.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2013, 09:34:11 PM »

Unfortunately even that is risky nowdays. I'm allergic to almost all adhesive bandaging, and while I'm not about to demand compensation over the inflammation, rash and possible skin loss that follows, there would be people who might.

I think would be perfectly reasonable to at least offer it.  If you have an allergy, then I assume you are aware of it and would simply say, "No, thank you."

katycoo

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »

I think would be perfectly reasonable to at least offer it.  If you have an allergy, then I assume you are aware of it and would simply say, "No, thank you."

Exactly.  If you knew you were allergic, and used the offered bandaid anyway, I'd hope your subsequent lawsuit would be thrown out.

The odds of you discovering an adhesive allergy at that moment in time are low.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2013, 10:18:26 PM »

Probably, but anything more serious, or more involved like cleaning the cut no way. The liability was not worth it.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2013, 10:31:04 PM »

Probably, but anything more serious, or more involved like cleaning the cut no way. The liability was not worth it.

I totally agree with this. 

CluelessBride

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2013, 02:19:12 AM »
At an old job I had, I gave myself a paper cut on a folder. It wasn't a serious injury anything, but I cut it just right so that it wanted to bleed a bit. I went upstairs to get a bandaid and maybe an alcohol swab. Our admin/HR liaison overheard me asking for one and not only refused to let me have one, but sent me to Occupation Health and made me fill out an incident report. Obviously a paper cut wasn't a priority for OHS, so I sat in the waiting room for over 3 hours. Waiting on a band aid. For a paper cut. And of course it had stopped bleeding long before the doctor saw me, but it was a crazy liability thing so I couldn't leave until I was seen. By the time they saw me, I was (justifiably I think) agitated and so the doctor commented that I looked stressed and played 20 questions with me about the sources of stress in my life.  Questions like, "Are you having problems at home?"  "Ho is your work life balance?" "Does your job fulfill you?"  It was all incredibly frustrating and downright exhausting.

Ever since then, I've carried a small first aid kit in my purse. A couple bandaids, alcohol swab, neosporin packets, headache meds, etc. It's come in handy more than once.  I recommend it to all my friends and family - many of whom have also started carrying mini kits that have come in handy.

Eden

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »
You know, I think the thing that sticks in my craw about this thread is that it seems to me that the OP had her mind made up from the beginning that she would contact the store, so why the thread asking if she should? Her only responses were to defend the idea of contacting the store. I may be wrong, but that's certainly how it came across to me.

perpetua

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2013, 10:23:32 AM »
You know, I think the thing that sticks in my craw about this thread is that it seems to me that the OP had her mind made up from the beginning that she would contact the store, so why the thread asking if she should? Her only responses were to defend the idea of contacting the store. I may be wrong, but that's certainly how it came across to me.

I agree, and I also think it's the type of frivolous complaint that has people rolling their eyes about the litigious society we live in today. The OP ran her hand over some wood that she already knew to be rough and sustained a cut smaller than the average papercut as a result. This is not the store's fault and given how minor the resultant 'injury' was, I think they were more than generous in helping her out.

fountainof

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2013, 11:02:36 AM »
I wouldn't contact a store about a small cut.  If I had had multiple times I needed first aid treatment from stores I would carry my own small 1st aid kit in my purse and/or a large first aid kit in my vehicle.

I think it is nice if a store does have Band-Aids but needing anything more even like antiseptic spray is expecting too much. 

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »
In my experience, store first aid kits are theoretically present, but in practice, they're always out of whatever specific thing you want at that particular moment. It's like how in Good Omens, any cassette left in a car for 2 weeks turns into Best of Queen--anything left in a store first aid kit for 2 weeks turns into one of those little round band-aids that nobody uses.