Author Topic: Injured at store--should I follow up and how  (Read 9099 times)

CoryanderX

Re: Injured at store--should I follow up and how
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2013, 12:13:16 PM »
In my experience, store first aid kits are theoretically present, but in practice, they're always out of whatever specific thing you want at that particular moment. It's like how in Good Omens, any cassette left in a car for 2 weeks turns into Best of Queen--anything left in a store first aid kit for 2 weeks turns into one of those little round band-aids that nobody uses.

Ha! A couple weeks ago, I actually DID want one of those little round band-aids -- quite possibly for the first time in my life -- and I was quite perturbed to find that we didn't have any, because I'd only been buying the normal rectangular kind. (I survived.)

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2013, 01:09:14 PM »
You know, I think the thing that sticks in my craw about this thread is that it seems to me that the OP had her mind made up from the beginning that she would contact the store, so why the thread asking if she should? Her only responses were to defend the idea of contacting the store. I may be wrong, but that's certainly how it came across to me.

I agree, and I also think it's the type of frivolous complaint that has people rolling their eyes about the litigious society we live in today. The OP ran her hand over some wood that she already knew to be rough and sustained a cut smaller than the average papercut as a result. This is not the store's fault and given how minor the resultant 'injury' was, I think they were more than generous in helping her out.

That's not true at all.  I didn't know the surface had a sharp piece that would cut me or I would not have touched it.

Second, it was nothing like a papercut.  Something on the table caught my skin and ripped it off my hand causing a alot of bleeding and significant pain.  The blood was pooled in my hand and running down my arm by the time I found someone to help me.  It then bled throgh the first bandage.

I've gotten splinters before from wood, but never anything like that.  Th surface was matte with nothing sticking up, no knot holes.  It's not a kind of wood that is common here

And perpetua, no one is obligated to act on the majority opinion.  I didn't come back to argue my actions but to inform. And I took everyone's opinion into consideration in making my decision of how exactly to proceed and thanked them all for it.

Otterpop

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2013, 09:46:09 PM »
You know, I think the thing that sticks in my craw about this thread is that it seems to me that the OP had her mind made up from the beginning that she would contact the store, so why the thread asking if she should? Her only responses were to defend the idea of contacting the store. I may be wrong, but that's certainly how it came across to me.

I agree, and I also think it's the type of frivolous complaint that has people rolling their eyes about the litigious society we live in today. The OP ran her hand over some wood that she already knew to be rough and sustained a cut smaller than the average papercut as a result. This is not the store's fault and given how minor the resultant 'injury' was, I think they were more than generous in helping her out.

That's not true at all.  I didn't know the surface had a sharp piece that would cut me or I would not have touched it.

Second, it was nothing like a papercut.  Something on the table caught my skin and ripped it off my hand causing a alot of bleeding and significant pain.  The blood was pooled in my hand and running down my arm by the time I found someone to help me.  It then bled throgh the first bandage.

I've gotten splinters before from wood, but never anything like that.  Th surface was matte with nothing sticking up, no knot holes.  It's not a kind of wood that is common here

And perpetua, no one is obligated to act on the majority opinion.  I didn't come back to argue my actions but to inform. And I took everyone's opinion into consideration in making my decision of how exactly to proceed and thanked them all for it.

OP was touching a piece of furniture, a table, that is meant to be used by people eating, drinking, conversing, putting their elbows on and yes, TOUCHING it.  There is no way on God's green earth that a company should be making tables that can only be looked at, lest they rip open your hand.   OP was in no way at fault.

Now if she was touching raw lumber at a hardware store, or was grabbing a pile of screws and got cut then she would have no business complaining.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2013, 10:10:54 PM »
Rip open your hand?  I think that's a very different situation than a small finger cut from a splinter.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2013, 10:16:37 PM »
Rip open your hand?  I think that's a very different situation than a small finger cut from a splinter.

This is straight from my original post.

"I reached out to feel the surface and it ripped a small tear into my hand.  I thought I had gotten a splinter but it tore up a small piece of skin about and eighth of an inch wide and a half inch long.    It's on my hand just below my pinkie finger.

It was bleeding like mad... "
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:19:37 PM by Audrey Quest »

Otterpop

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2013, 11:32:37 PM »

"I reached out to feel the surface and it ripped a small tear into my hand.  I thought I had gotten a splinter but it tore up a small piece of skin about and eighth of an inch wide and a half inch long.    It's on my hand just below my pinkie finger.

Yup, ripped open.

OP I'd be reacting just like you, not contacting to sue, but contacting so they look into the matter.  Tables shouldn't bite.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2013, 11:35:30 PM »

Yup, ripped open.

OP I'd be reacting just like you, not contacting to sue, but contacting so they look into the matter.  Tables shouldn't bite.

FOR THE WIN!!!!

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2013, 01:40:23 PM »
Yes, I did read that -- we just have different opinions on how severe an injury it would be considered.  It's also possible I'm not picturing it properly.