Author Topic: Stop Whining Already!  (Read 4969 times)

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
Re: Stop Whining Already!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 02:45:45 PM »
Gramma, sigh, I really wish that were the case.  Mom absolutely misery, wallows in it, lives for it, in fact she actually puts when I counter with a positive.

Besides, I would say positive things regardlessshe just likes to moan and complain about everything. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:48:05 PM by Auntie Mame »
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 02:49:08 PM »
Gramma, sigh, I really wish that were the case.  Mom absolutely misery, wallows in it, lives for it, in fact she actually puts when I counter with a positive.

In that case you're just deliberately ruining her whole day!!  What a mean daughter you are!    ;D   >:D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:50:48 PM by gramma dishes »

veronaz

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 02:54:51 PM »
I once had a supervisor who was a Supreme Whiner.  It was a small, privately owned company.  The powers-that-be (partners) were out of the office a lot and she spent several hours every.single.day standing at the reception desk whining and gossiping.   She didn’t have a lot to do, obviously.

Whiners can be very manipulative.  For example, if you agree with what they’re saying or make a comment, next thing you know you find out Whiner has told someone that you agree or that you said (whatever), and make it look as if you brought the subject up.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:59:35 PM by veronaz »

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »

In that case you're just deliberately ruining her whole day!!  What a mean daughter you are!    ;D   >:D

Ungrateful little beast, that's me!
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

CaffeineKatie

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 11:28:37 PM »
Auntie Mame, we must be related!  I remember watching a story about a huge lottery jackpot(think $100 million range) and the happy winner and my mom's only comment was "He is going to have to pay so much in taxes it isn't worth it"  ::)

Margo

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 08:52:12 AM »
I once had a supervisor who was a Supreme Whiner.  It was a small, privately owned company.  The powers-that-be (partners) were out of the office a lot and she spent several hours every.single.day standing at the reception desk whining and gossiping.   She didn’t have a lot to do, obviously.

Whiners can be very manipulative.  For example, if you agree with what they’re saying or make a comment, next thing you know you find out Whiner has told someone that you agree or that you said (whatever), and make it look as if you brought the subject up.

I agree.

I think your best bet is to continue with your headphones and come up with a few stock phrases:

"It's never bothered me. If it's a problem for you, speak to your manager"
"If you're not happy here, perhaps you should look for a job elsewhere"
"I'm busy. Is there anything you needed to say to me about [actual stuff you need to work with him on]?"
Depending on what he whines about, an expression of surprise that he should think it's worthy of complaint may help.
"Wow - I can't believe you're complaining that the free cookies in the break room aren't chocolate. I've never come across another office that gives their employees free cookies at all. I think we're really lucky!"

(I work with a whiner. I've learned that he is not going to change. I find a slightly bored "oh" or "really" works quite well to cut down on whining-to-me.

I also have an e-mail folder labelled "c**p" . It makes me feel a little better to just shunt his whine-y e-mails there.

I'm hoping my whiner may be gone soon. He recently gave us an ultimatum basically telling us if we don't give him what he wants he will resign. I don't think he was expecting that our response would be, basically, "OK". (the *actual* response was "YES!! Don't let the door hit you on the way out", but we didn't say that out loud..)