Author Topic: Picnic Help  (Read 1661 times)

Chelsealady

Picnic Help
« on: June 12, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »
Next week we have a zoo outing with the several of the nieces and nephews at the zoo.  I offered to bring lunch, snacks, and drinks to avoid the high prices at concessions.  I really don't have a clue of what to bring.  There is going to be 4 adults and 6 kids(13,12,11,10,7,1).  I don't have kids but when I do take the pack out it seems I always have to feed them and these kids can eat.   :P

The little ones will eat everything that is not tied down.  The bigger ones are not as adventurous. 

What would you all bring?

NyaChan

Re: Picnic Help
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 05:15:30 PM »
First I would check the zoo's rules on bringing in food or drink.  I know some zoos don't allow certain types of packaging.  I'd aim for things you don't have to keep cold unless you have an easy to carry cooler.  For this sort of outing, I would want sandwiches or subs with chips or crackers, some veggie sticks, and fruit.  I'd bring lots of water to keep everyone hydrated and maybe some baggies of popcorn - either savory or sweet, or trail mix for an extra snack. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 05:54:04 PM »
If you can take a cooler, my go-to for ball tournaments is veggies and hummus, cheese and crackers and rice crispie squares.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Jones

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 06:16:58 PM »
With most kids you can't go wrong with string cheese and Koolaid. :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 06:33:36 PM »
If you need an actual meal and can bring a cooler, I'd bring stuff for sandwiches.

But definitely check the zoo's policies first.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 06:45:52 PM »
I suggest:

A big bag of pretzels
A big bag of tortilla chips
Hummus
Salsa and or jar of cheese dip (neither need to be refrigerated until opened and with 10 people, it'll all get eatten)
Assorted veggies cut into sticks
Apples and oranges
Crackers/bread
Peanut butter (good on crackers/bread, but also tasty on carrot sticks or celery)

If you have a cooler:
Yogurt
Cold cuts
Sandwich bread
Mustard and mayo

Don't forget, or ask someone else to bring:
napkins
utensils
paper plates
drinks

katycoo

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 08:00:23 PM »
Next week we have a zoo outing with the several of the nieces and nephews at the zoo.  I offered to bring lunch, snacks, and drinks to avoid the high prices at concessions.  I really don't have a clue of what to bring.  There is going to be 4 adults and 6 kids(13,12,11,10,7,1).  I don't have kids but when I do take the pack out it seems I always have to feed them and these kids can eat.   

if you don't want this responsibility, why did you offer?  Its not only a lot of cost on you but planning, prep, and bringing it all is a pain.  Why not suggest that each kid brings their own food?

Regardless, I'd make up a lot of bread rolls, some with spreads like PB or jam, and some with ham and/or salads.

The snacks suggested by others are a good idea.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 09:37:22 PM »
Next week we have a zoo outing with the several of the nieces and nephews at the zoo.  I offered to bring lunch, snacks, and drinks to avoid the high prices at concessions.  I really don't have a clue of what to bring.  There is going to be 4 adults and 6 kids(13,12,11,10,7,1).  I don't have kids but when I do take the pack out it seems I always have to feed them and these kids can eat.   

if you don't want this responsibility, why did you offer?  Its not only a lot of cost on you but planning, prep, and bringing it all is a pain.  Why not suggest that each kid brings their own food?

Regardless, I'd make up a lot of bread rolls, some with spreads like PB or jam, and some with ham and/or salads.

Bold above . . . maybe because Chelsealady is a kind and generous person?

But I do agree with the rest of your post. ;)

As other's have mentioned, you really do need to check with the park in order to find out whether outside food can be brought in . . . PLUS! even if it is allowed, do you really want to cart a cooler of food around all day long? especially after it's empty?

Since 4 other adults will be going with you, and these children belong to them, I suggest packing 4 (okay, 5 -- one for you, you get the lightest, since you're buying ;)) back-packs.

1 -- filled with apples/oranges/fruit cups. Maybe some gogurts (I'm not sure if these need to be refrigerated, if so, an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack would work) . . . OH! What about fruit roll-ups?

2 -- filled with PB&J* sandwiches, fresh chopped veggies (carrot sticks, broccoli, cauliflower) Hidden Ranch has individual servings of dressing that doesn't need to be refrigerated until opened, a nice dip for the veggies.

3 -- filled with bags of pretzels, nuts, raisins, trail mix . . . popcorn is cheap and loved by all! You can make up individual sized bags (small baggie-sized) mix everything together or make separate bags. Pick and choose.

4 -- this will be the heaviest, water bottles and/or juice boxes.

5 -- this can be mixed in with the other 4 bags, but just a suggestion of  cookies. I honestly don't think cookies or desert is needed.

*I don't see any need to make any sandwiches other than PB&J's, unless you think plain cheese will hold up without being refrigerated. You do not need to go all gourmet here.

Rohanna

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 09:52:40 PM »
You could also check if they have coat checks/lockers- at most of the zoos I've been to I've been able to leave the cooler bags in a locker and come back for them after. If so I would pack a couple of smaller soft sided coolers rather than a large one.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

katycoo

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 09:53:20 PM »

Bold above . . . maybe because Chelsealady is a kind and generous person?

I'm certain that she is... it's just that I detected a tone of burden in there.  I could be wrong.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 09:58:46 PM »
As far as carrying it - my local Zoo allows people to go to the parking lot and re-enter the park so long as you have your ticket, which allows tailgating as opposed to carrying stuff.

Chelsealady

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 10:15:19 PM »
It's not a burden.  I want to do this for them. 

The zoo encourages people to bring coolers and has a picnic area set up.  We will have the baby's wagon.  The big cooler with the main lunch stuff can stay in the car.  And a smaller cooler with drinks and snacks will fit in the wagon with baby.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »
It's not a burden.  I want to do this for them. 

The zoo encourages people to bring coolers and has a picnic area set up.  We will have the baby's wagon.  The big cooler with the main lunch stuff can stay in the car.  And a smaller cooler with drinks and snacks will fit in the wagon with baby.

Okay, that changes things up a bit! ;D

For lunch, I like jedikaiti's suggestion of sandwich stuff.

I would go with sandwich rolls instead of loaf-bread, just to dress it up a bit. Kaiser, pretzel, bagel, etc. For 10 people? I'm thinking 15 rolls. The rolls are more filling, so you'll probably go home with extras. But just in case someone wants seconds, better safe than sorry.

Instead of buying meats from the deli, you can bake up some chicken breast and/or a roast (beef, pork or both, depending on the variety you're looking for) then slice it thinly for sandwiches. Whatever you don't bring for the picnic can always be frozen for later use.

A couple of different cheeses, chopped lettuce, sliced tomato (in a hard container so they don't get mushy), mayo, mustard and you're good!

You could also pack a couple of different salads . . . potato, cole slaw, bean . . . you know these kids better than I do. Do they have any preferences? I think one or possibly two choices would suffice (depending on how much room you have in your cooler.)

Or, instead of a salad, how about a veggie assortment? . . . Crudités! (I learned a new word. ;D . . . easily packed in baggies) and a bottle of ranch dressing.

Dessert suggestion -- pack a can of whip cream (the spray kind like Redi-Whip) to serve on a fresh-chopped fruit mixture.

Here's a suggestion (doesn't fit in with the above menu, but maybe good for a late hardy snack for the drive home when kids are hungry and looking for dinner, or something that might fit with a different menu of your choosing . . . just throwing this out there for thought, kids love them!):

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/piglets-in-the-blanket/ae4c1349-34be-4c89-a8a1-a166cf1da49b

I use mini-cocktail-sized smokey links instead of hot dots. They really are good cold.

Drinks: Water.

I suggest the smaller water bottles (6-8 oz size) Sometimes someone (especially kids) only wants a sip or two of something to drink.

Bring a marker so that you can write a name on the bottle then toss it back into the cooler if necessary.

There's quite a variety of single-serving mixes of flavorings that can easily be added to water.

Snacks: This is kind of tough, because all kids don't get hungry for a snack at the same time.

Do you plan on an "It's Snack Time" type of deal where everyone takes a break for snacking? or would you like to have something available whenever someone says "I'm huuuuungry!"

If it's the latter, you can have larger bags of chips/popcorn/trail mix, maybe a bag of cubed cheese, chunks of sausage and crackers . . . whatever your preference, then bring a box of sandwich sized baggies so that you can dole out smaller single-serving sizes.

Of course you can always fill your cooler with fresh fruits (apples, oranges, bananas) ;D

Just me thinking out loud. Hope this helps. :)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 07:49:15 PM »
A lot of food have already been mentioned by other posters, but my family have also enjoyed fried chicken (good hot or cold) and hard boiled eggs.