Author Topic: Dad's boorish manners - today's Dear Abby  (Read 1781 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Dad's boorish manners - today's Dear Abby
« on: June 10, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »
From today's Dear Abby - A woman is annoyed that her father, during any kind of celebration where food is served buffet style, takes all the "good" parts of casseroles, all the top of somethning with yummy baked cheese, crunch onions off the green bean casserole, and so on. And gets offended when the LW speaks to him about it, and also says her mother refuses to get involved. And that guests will make a beeline for hte food to get there before him.

DA gave 3 suggestions: make him his own, stop serving casseroles, or plate the food in the kitchen.

For once, I agree with all of her suggesetions, although if it were me, I'd skip giving dad his own as it would reward his bad behavior. Although evilsiamesecat might be tempted to embarass him "hey Bob, leave some for the rest of us, ok?" or something along those lines, but that's why she doens't get out very often!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Dad's boorish manners - today's Dear Abby
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »
It was yesterday's DA, not today's (http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20130609:D

But I do agree with Abby's advice. I also would not be above public shame - when the food is set out and the buffet declared 'open' I'd say loudly, with a smile "now dad, don't go hogging all the topping, one serving per person until everyone has had some!"

This is why caterers often have staff standing behind buffets serving dishes - so no one an pick through and take just good parts before everyone else has a chance to go through the line.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 12:52:45 PM »
It was yesterday's DA, not today's (http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20130609:D

But I do agree with Abby's advice. I also would not be above public shame - when the food is set out and the buffet declared 'open' I'd say loudly, with a smile "now dad, don't go hogging all the topping, one serving per person until everyone has had some!"

This is why caterers often have staff standing behind buffets serving dishes - so no one an pick through and take just good parts before everyone else has a chance to go through the line.

Oops my bad.   ;D

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
I would plate Dad's plate and guide him to the table or tell Dad - sorry you have to go after everyone else has gotten their first serving.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

doodlemor

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »
When I had young teens wanting to do this I just mixed all or most of the toppings into the main part of the dish.  Problem solved. 

They did grow up to be unselfish people, so now foods are served in a normal way.