Author Topic: Supervisor bad mouthing her employee  (Read 1921 times)

purpleperil

Supervisor bad mouthing her employee
« on: June 13, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
BG 1: I work for a call center that has different companies that are contracted to them. One of the projects in our building is a mostly non-call taking project that does office/billing work for a telecommunications company. This is the project I work for. The decision was made to remodel our building and we are all now in temporary settings over the summer and they relaxed the dress code to compensate for all of us being squished together.

BG 2: I am one of the newest members of my team, however have worked for the company for 6 years, and this project for just shy of 6 years. My previous teams work was sent to a different center and we were scattered amongst remaining teams. The team myself and another of my old team were sent to has had the reputation of the drama team the entire time I have been on the project through three different supervisors. The current supervisor is someone who used to be a team helper on my previous team. There were some rough patches when I first moved, but at this point I like most of my co-workers on a personal level, and try to avoid falling into the pitfalls of the drama as I have seen them come up.

My team of about 11 people was designated to use a training room for the duration and this has caused a change in our supervisor. A couple of nights ago about five of us were staying late to do overtime and make sure we met our contractual hours for the month, and she started making comments about a couple of co-workers. She was making comments on one of the women "Sandy" on my teams hygiene, the way she cares for her kids and in general that this woman is a pain in the rear. She also started bad mouthing our team helper, and random other people, but mostly focused on Sandy. Others joined in, and I just sort of sat there. Yesterday they bought these little air fresheners that you would stick in a car vent and they were placed in the fans we have for circulation in the room, because of Sandy. I have never noticed any odor, and just think there is a better more work appropriate way to deal with this.

I know most of you will suggest going to HR. That's really not an option here. We have an HR, but there never seems to be any good in going to them for anything. There is a pervasive "good ol' boys" club to our supervisory staff, and the level above them. It has been a constant complaint amongst my work friends that there is no one to trust and turn to when these things happen. Other than disengaging myself from the conversation and feigning working (after hours there is much real work to do), what can I do about the less than stellar actions of my supervisor?

checkitnice

Re: Supervisor bad mouthing her employee
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 06:55:26 AM »
Other than making the occasional comment of "Funny, I never noticed any smell," and abruptly changing the subject, I've not got much.  What a horrible work environment!  If it were me, I'd probably just try to keep my head down and switch teams.   :-\

Marguette

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »
In some groups, when the bad-mouthing–fest starts up, you could contribute, “My Deity, I wonder what you say about me when I’m not here.” You know best whether that would make them stop and think twice, or just draw them to attack you.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 03:56:37 PM »
Did my old boss start a new job???  I hate when adults act like middle school bullies and then, because they are a supervisor, they develop a following that will parrot the mean comments.  If your HR is useless, I would just start making comments to their comments  supervisor : "X smells horrible and is a bad mom" you : " I have never noticed that and feel your comments are wrong."