Author Topic: inviting boys to a princess party - should I bother?  (Read 6406 times)

nolechica

• Super Hero!
Re: inviting boys to a princess party - should I bother?
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2013, 01:21:01 AM »
How will our children ever get past stereotypical gender roles if we parents keep reinforcing them. I agree with the others who've suggested throwing in a little variety with colors and ideas and running with it. I think it'll be a great time.

Exactly! My mother still worries about that stuff and I'm 30!

Craftymom

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2013, 05:54:44 AM »
Craftykid requested that I decorate his bathroom and bedroom in Hello Kitty, and he ADORES My Little Pony- invite the boys...

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2013, 05:58:07 AM »
I have two boys- one of the most sucessful fancy dress parties was "Pirates and Princesses". Although it was a rather more piratical affair complete with jolly roger cake.
NE England

lurkerwisp

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 03:54:33 PM »
I had a party kind of like that in the first grade - but unicorn themed instead of princesses.  My very best friend was a boy, but all my other friends were girls.  He was invited, and we had a unicorns and dragons party, where everyone got to choose between unicorns or dragons or just go with both.  There was face painting and we decorated sugar cookies.  I still remember it as the best party I'd ever had to this day, and it was fun for everyone.  :)

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »
If the boys want to come to the party, welcome them. They'll probably love making the horses and many of the other games.  Teaching 'knightly conduct' would not be a bad thing.  The little guys might actually enjoy it. 

Call them 'Courtly Manners' and you'll have them all ready for Ren Faire when they grow up!  The boys could learn how to bow and the girls learn to curtsey, and they could all learn the basics of general manners.

No, I do not have children, but I have been accused of acting like a child more than once.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »
Knights! Great idea!
NE England