Author Topic: Gift idea question: How often do you use you baby's mobile?  (Read 691 times)

AylaM

I have a family member, a musician, who is having a baby.  I was looking at things like mobiles and was thinking about a mobile with custom digital music (maybe some traditional lullabies or even one of mom singing).

I just wanted to know:  how often do/did you use a baby mobile spinner/music player?

To me it seems like putting music on as the baby goes down for a nap is rather easy, so I'm not sure it is worth the money. 

I'd appreciate your feedback.  Thank you!

QueenfaninCA

Re: Gift idea question: How often do you use you baby's mobile?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 07:58:39 PM »
We had an old-fashioned wind-up one and used it every single night for a couple of years. Even took the music-box part of it on an intercontinental flight to get kiddo to sleep on the plane by recreating the at home bed-time ritual as well as we could.

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:58:59 PM »
Mobiles are like most baby stuff - some kids will love it and you can't imagine life without it, other kids will hate it and you'll never use it.

You can't really predict how a baby is going to react, but I think it is a very good gift since a lot of babies/parents doo like them.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 08:03:12 PM »
Something to think about - once the baby gets to about eight months, he/she can sit up and grab things.  And unless the mobile is very high above the crib, the parents will have to remove it.  I used one for a few months, but IMHO a better option is one of those light-up scenes that clamp onto the side of the crib (there are several brands) - usually they have a button the kid can push/kick and the scene will move, display lights, and/or play music.

shygirl

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 10:22:02 PM »
My kid is turning 3 next month, and we've used his mobile every single day. We still use it.  I joked to my sister that I imagine he is going to have that mobile attached to his bed until he goes off to college.  Yeah, my kid LOVES his mobile.

When he was able to sit up on his own, we didn't have to remove the mobile.  But he was able to turn it on by himself, which was handy.

Arrynne

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 12:07:19 AM »
We barely used ours, and had to remove it once he was able to sit up. However, we have a stuffed bear that plays music that we've used every night for the last two years.

mime

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:01:47 AM »
We used our mobiles for my two boys for only about 6 months each. The alternative that lasted longer for us is a GlowWorm (the almost 3 year old is still using it).

BusyBee

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 10:23:10 AM »
We barely used ours, and had to remove it once he was able to sit up. However, we have a stuffed bear that plays music that we've used every night for the last two years.

This is a great idea - and it will be more used and loved if you can remove the music box and put the toy in the washer.  It's also nice that the baby can turn it on by himself.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 06:54:28 PM »
I never used a mobile, but I did have several different light-up music boxes that scattered light patterns on the wall and ceiling . . . not quite like Slartibartfast described, but regular music boxes which the DDs still have in their music box collection.

Light-type movement is similar to mobiles. I think it's the motion that intrigues, catches the interest of, and calms the baby. So I think a mobile is a great gift idea.

Do you have a web-site sample of what you're looking at? Curious minds want to know. ;)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »
We barely used ours.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »
I never used mine, for the reason Slartibart gave-the baby will be grabbing and pulling up before you know it.  OTOH, the thing that hooked onto the side of the crib that reacts to punches and kicks was priceless.  If I recall way back then, it could also transition to a toddler toy.

Jones

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 09:58:51 PM »
I didn't use a mobile, however I did get some windchimes and hang them around the room. My son still loves it when I hold him up so he can take a whack at one.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 10:24:02 PM »
We had one attached to the side of a baby carriage (baby buggy) which we used indoors in lieu of a bassinet for naps and in our room for a few weeks for overnight.  That one did not wind up or anything.  It was just colorful butterflies and when the baby kicked, it wiggled the buggy on it's springs and the butterflies would dance.

We had a wind up one with farm animals on the crib, but only for the last baby.  (It was a gift for her.)  When she got old enough to tug on it and pull at the animals, we cut the animals off and she got to play with them as animals.  We kept the music box portion and wound it up for her at bedtime and left it on the dresser next to her crib.  I honestly don't remember when we stopped using that or what we did with it.  I suppose it eventually broke.  :(