Author Topic: well i never, things you find out...  (Read 4672 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: well i never, things you find out...
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2013, 06:46:28 PM »
Red Wine can be used to trap gnats.

As I've learned the hard way.   :P  :) Apple cider vinegar works well too.

Also good for fruit flies. Cover the bowl in plastic wrap and cut holes in it to keep them in.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2013, 06:54:38 PM »
For gnats and fruit flies:
Put water into a drinking glass
add sugar and stir
add dishwashing soap.

They want the sugar water, but because of the soap they can't stay on the surface of the water and they drown.
cheaper than red wine, plus it doesn't smell

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2013, 07:20:37 PM »
Dial hand soap is great for handwashing blood stains out of clothing. I've yet to find something else that works quite so well.

I also put ice cubes or citrus peels down the kitchen sink and grind them to clean the disposal and take away any smell.

Vinegar/water mix for shampoo and baking soda/water mix for conditioner. Much cheaper than store bought, and once scalp adjusts to not having its natural oils stripped on a regular basis, you don't need to wash it nearly as much.

I try to have different varieties of ice around in the summer (kool-aid, tea, coffee, water) so whatever I ice won't actually be watered down by the melting ice.

Hydrogen peroxide.  When DD#3 cut her forehead on glass (or, say, the glass cut her on its way to the floor...) she bled buckets onto her jeans, the unmade bed mattress and the floor.  Her favorite jeans...  I had a 2 quart bottle of peroxide in the house, and got ALL the blood out of the jeans (and it had dried completely by the time we got home from the hospital ER to get her stitched up). And it got most of the blood out of the mattress (much harder to clean up the bed than the clothing!) so that she was willing to continue sleeping on it.  I got enough out of the floor to make it hard to see it (very dark green and fugly carpet) and not be able to smell it at all.  It's an easy but tedious process of pouring the peroxide on the blood spot, letting it foam for a while, blotting it up,  then pouring more peroxide.  The peroxide did not bleach out the jeans, the bed, or the carpet.

I wonder if that would work for monthly accidents? 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »
Dial hand soap is great for handwashing blood stains out of clothing. I've yet to find something else that works quite so well.

The bar soap, or liquid?

I once cleaned a coffee maker w/ vinegar, and we could not get rid of the smell OR the taste. Totally trashed it. We ran baking-soda water through it; ran water through it about 20 times. We threw it out.  Never again.

Bar soap. Hand scrub, scratch at the stain, and make sure the water is as hot as you can handle it. (For me, though, that's not so hot.)

We cleaned the coffee makers with vinegar once every few months at home. Dad left the house for the day becuase he can't stand the smell, but if you run water through it afterwards, it should clean it up. We've never had a problem with it.

My mom taught me to use bar soap to get monthly blood stains out, and I agree, it's great. I've never restricted myself to Dial, though--I may have to get a bar just to keep on hand.

We used full-strength vinegar--I remember looking to see if I should dilute it, and the few places I looked didn't say you should. I don't think I used a whole tub. And I thought it would have removed itself after about the 10th pot of plain water (and the 5th pot of actually coffee). But it didn't. There must have been some part that was porous enough that it completely absorbed it and wouldn't let go of it.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »

I also put ice cubes or citrus peels down the kitchen sink and grind them to clean the disposal and take away any smell.

Vinegar/water mix for shampoo and baking soda/water mix for conditioner. Much cheaper than store bought, and once scalp adjusts to not having its natural oils stripped on a regular basis, you don't need to wash it nearly as much.

I try to have different varieties of ice around in the summer (kool-aid, tea, coffee, water) so whatever I ice won't actually be watered down by the melting ice.

Hydrogen peroxide.  When DD#3 cut her forehead on glass (or, say, the glass cut her on its way to the floor...) she bled buckets onto her jeans, the unmade bed mattress and the floor.  Her favorite jeans...  I had a 2 quart bottle of peroxide in the house, and got ALL the blood out of the jeans (and it had dried completely by the time we got home from the hospital ER to get her stitched up). And it got most of the blood out of the mattress (much harder to clean up the bed than the clothing!) so that she was willing to continue sleeping on it.  I got enough out of the floor to make it hard to see it (very dark green and fugly carpet) and not be able to smell it at all.  It's an easy but tedious process of pouring the peroxide on the blood spot, letting it foam for a while, blotting it up,  then pouring more peroxide.  The peroxide did not bleach out the jeans, the bed, or the carpet.

I wonder if that would work for monthly accidents? 

I actually use a bleach soak.  Bleach can be used in small quantities on colored clothes. What's important is that the bleach is very diluted and that you dilute it as you are filling up the basin or sink.  So you don't want to fill up the basin with cold water and THEN add bleach.  You want to add the bleach as it is filling to make sure it's dispersed pretty well. 

I would say that for every gallon of water, I use maybe 2-4 oz of bleach.  You can't even smell the chlorine.  But it does work wonders, even on older stains

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2013, 10:42:58 PM »
Baking soda and vinegar will help clear your drains! Pour about a half cup of baking soda down the drain, add vinegar (a couple splashes) and watch the fun. When it stops fizzing, splash in more vinegar, wait till it stops again, repeat till it's no longer fizzy and rinse everything down. This does take an awful lot of vinegar sometimes, but it's so much cheaper and better for your drains than nasty chemicals.

(Note: nasty chemicals may still be needed. This doesn't eat through hair clogs, grease or food particles. I found that out the hard way. This is also not for toilets.)

But what else do drains get clogged with other than hair, grease or food particles?
Dunno -- but if you don't pour grease down the drain, you won't get clogs like that in the first place!  In 40 years, I've had a sink clog like that ONCE, when the person living in the next unit poured grease down HER drain and it clogged just below where our drains joined.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2013, 01:02:39 AM »
Baking soda and vinegar will help clear your drains! Pour about a half cup of baking soda down the drain, add vinegar (a couple splashes) and watch the fun. When it stops fizzing, splash in more vinegar, wait till it stops again, repeat till it's no longer fizzy and rinse everything down. This does take an awful lot of vinegar sometimes, but it's so much cheaper and better for your drains than nasty chemicals.

(Note: nasty chemicals may still be needed. This doesn't eat through hair clogs, grease or food particles. I found that out the hard way. This is also not for toilets.)

But what else do drains get clogged with other than hair, grease or food particles?
Dunno -- but if you don't pour grease down the drain, you won't get clogs like that in the first place!  In 40 years, I've had a sink clog like that ONCE, when the person living in the next unit poured grease down HER drain and it clogged just below where our drains joined.
Hey now, don't go making sense and using logic :D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2013, 09:27:19 AM »
Whenever I've boiled my kettle and there is leftover water, I pour it down the kitchen drain.  It serves two purposes:  I prevent hardwater buildup in my kettle and I help clear the drain of any grease, since the hot water will take it down.  I've lived in my house for 9 years now and I've never had to use drain cleaner on the kitchen sink.  Bathtub, yes, because of my hair but never the kitchen.  Now that we have green bin (organics) recycling, I just let my grease harden and then scrape it into the bin.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kymom3

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »
Does it matter which kind of vinegar is used to kill weeds or clean stuff around the house? 

I'm going to get on that this weekend!  ;D

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »
Does it matter which kind of vinegar is used to kill weeds or clean stuff around the house? 

I'm going to get on that this weekend!  ;D

I keep both White vinegar and apple cider vinegar in the house.  For cleaning and weeds I'd use white vinegar

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »
Just plain white vinegar would be best - and cheapest!

Check the concentration of acetic acid on the ingredient list of whatever kind you buy.  It should be at least 5%.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kymom3

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2013, 02:24:05 PM »
thank you!  It will be added to my grocery list.