Author Topic: Things you should never order in a restaurant  (Read 6940 times)

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
Re: Things you should never order in a restaurant
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 11:47:35 AM »
At a "healthy" fast food chain that I used to work at, they stored the raw chicken in water, to "keep it fresh," for weeks. The water would eventually turn green. Middle management wouldn't throw it out or order new chicken, no matter how vile it got. Once in long a while upper management would come in, see the chicken, and flip out (and throw it out).
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 01:43:48 PM »
This has nothing to do with my employment experience, but I've given up ordering salads with delivery pizza. The salad is always terrible, at least one of the vegetables seems "too ripe" or on the verge of being partially rotting, and the salad dressings are always the worst prepackaged kinds. There's nothing I love better than pizza and salad, but it seems the only way to get good quality is to actually go to a pizzeria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vyFoNGmiLI
 :D

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 02:10:21 PM »
Also, what type of bacteria are they talking about? Bacteria is everywhere but not all of it is harmful. If the bacteria in the toilet is pathogenic but the bacteria in the ice maker is benign, then I really don't care if there's more of the latter.

I was wondering the same thing. Unfortunately, we've built a society of "Oh noes! Germs!" So we over-use antibiotics and antiseptic soap to the point where we are: 1) Weakening our own immune systems; and 2) Breeding super-bugs.

Sorry, but a 12yo's science fair project is not going to get me in a panic. Perhaps if the 12yo published in a peer-reviewed journal, I might give it some credence. I've judged middle-school science fairs and know how bad some of the "science" really is.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2013, 02:11:44 PM »
At a "healthy" fast food chain that I used to work at, they stored the raw chicken in water, to "keep it fresh," for weeks. The water would eventually turn green. Middle management wouldn't throw it out or order new chicken, no matter how vile it got. Once in long a while upper management would come in, see the chicken, and flip out (and throw it out).

I'd be making weekly, anonymous, calls to the county health department. They *love* to do surprise inspections and find that sort of thing. Better the place get shut down due to health code violations than because someone died of salmonella.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Amara

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »
Something I wondered is, how many people grossed out about the ice at the restaurant have scrubbed down their own ice makers at home at all recently?

That is the reason I will not have an ice maker. I can and do run my ice trays through the dishwasher regularly.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 07:56:55 AM »
I recently started watching kitchen nightmares so, basically, we shouldn't ever eat out. Or buy processed food...

I'm sure it's also a question of local management - I'm not a big eater-outer anyway, but when I walk into a restaurant , be it a five star place, a family-style chain, fast food chain or a street cart, I look and see how clean it is, how overworked the employees appear to be ( IMHO understaffed places might not have enough staff to clean and be on top of food rotation).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

nayberry

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 08:17:34 AM »
never order seafood on a monday, it'll be left over from fridays!  from my days working in a carvery restaurant (carvery;s have several roast joints of meat plus veg sides and you go up and select what you want, this sort of thing http://www.tobycarvery.co.uk/)   

but i'd definitely order the turkey and leek soup!

Iris

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 08:37:47 AM »
Something I wondered is, how many people grossed out about the ice at the restaurant have scrubbed down their own ice makers at home at all recently?

That is the reason I will not have an ice maker. I can and do run my ice trays through the dishwasher regularly.

You're meant to clean the one on my fridge once a month. We do ours once a month-ish because if the ice sits too long it clumps and if you're un-clumping it you may as well go the whole hog. Then again, I'm not grossed out by the ice at a restaurant. As David Mitchell pointed out "they tell me that there  are more germs on my chopping board than in my toilet, so clearly that's fine then, because we're NOT all dropping dead of horrible diseases"

On the oil thing DD's dietician gave me a good tip. If you can smell the oil then that means it's old and dirty and quite possibly a genuine health risk. I have walked into restaurants, smelt oil, and walked right back out again.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

heathert

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2013, 10:00:01 AM »
I'd be willing to bet the person writing that article either knows someone who works at Five Guys or has some sort of interest in that restaurant.  Interesting that all but Five Guys are outbreaks waiting to happen.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2013, 12:15:22 PM »
I have my own "tell tales" about housekeeping in a restaurant - yes, I worked food service in high school & college, albeit over thirty years ago......dang, I'm getting older!

But the "oil" smelling off is one of them.....so is the staff appearing to be adequate, but running around like chickens with their heads cut off (either a SS table or lack of training - neither is good for the other patrons that day).  The appearance of a strand of plastic kitchen scrubber in the breaded chicken dish (Italian) was the kiss of death (not that busy maybe four tables each - but ONE big table of SS with three small children in high chairs - IIRC, two waiters & a hostess, but they were running around like every table was FULL).

Granted - it could have been just the SS table of twelve.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »
This has nothing to do with my employment experience, but I've given up ordering salads with delivery pizza. The salad is always terrible, at least one of the vegetables seems "too ripe" or on the verge of being partially rotting, and the salad dressings are always the worst prepackaged kinds. There's nothing I love better than pizza and salad, but it seems the only way to get good quality is to actually go to a pizzeria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vyFoNGmiLI
 :D

Love that clip!

magician5

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 05:37:31 PM »
Where, in KITCHEN NIGHTMARES, does Ramsey find these restaurantsa that EVERY ONE OF THEM has green congealed food in every corner of the walk-in?

No inspector in my area would tolerate this (or most of the other cleanliness issues he finds) even once ... the place would immediately be closed until the situation was remedied!

I mean, EACH AND EVERY one?
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Jones

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »
Where, in KITCHEN NIGHTMARES, does Ramsey find these restaurantsa that EVERY ONE OF THEM has green congealed food in every corner of the walk-in?

No inspector in my area would tolerate this (or most of the other cleanliness issues he finds) even once ... the place would immediately be closed until the situation was remedied!

I mean, EACH AND EVERY one?
Except Aamy's, the one place that he can't help, lol!

Dawse

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 06:02:19 PM »

Also, what type of bacteria are they talking about? Bacteria is everywhere but not all of it is harmful. If the bacteria in the toilet is pathogenic but the bacteria in the ice maker is benign, then I really don't care if there's more of the latter.

I work in a pub and our ice machine gets turned off, drained, cleaned and sanitised at least once a week. All the ice scoops get dishwashered nightly. According to a warning label on the front of the machine, allowing the machines to go too long between cleanings can allow e-coli to build up to harmful levels.

According to one of my old managers, over half of all illnesses reported that are linked to eating out are caused by dirty ice machines or fruit garnishes not being washed properly. Whether or not that's true (and I really have no way of knowing where she would have found that information even if it is true) it was enough to put me off having lemon in my drinks for a long time.
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »
That's actually why when you go to a foreign country don't have ice in your drink.