General Etiquette > Family and Children

Changing the Channel?

<< < (6/6)

stormyskies:

--- Quote from: whatsanenigma on June 14, 2013, 04:34:22 PM ---It's even possible, depending on your family dynamics, that you could say that dinner is the only time you really get to sit with them and you would like to talk and have more elaborate conversations than watching tv at the same time allows for.  Tell them you want to get to know them better and them to know you better.   Basically, no tv at all during the meal.

--- End quote ---

My choice would also be to make dinnertime TV-free. It will give you all a time to relax and actually talk to each other. TV-free meals are also better for your health. I've battled my weight for many years, and one thing that all the experts agree on it that people who eat with no distractions pay more attention to what they are eating, enjoy their meal more, and are less likely to overeat.

stormyskies:
You have my sympathy. My mom is addicted to judge shows, which I despise, and she has dozens of them stored on her video player.  Even when I leave the room, the obnoxious voice of one particular judge seems to permeate the entire house (complete with my mom talking back to the TV as she  sanctimoniously agrees with said obnoxious judge). It's like hearing fingernails on a blackboard.

The only escape, it seems, is to walk outside or to put on headphones and listen to something more agreeable.

Some people can tune out extraneous noise, and some can't. You might have some luck if you make conversation instead. You could say something like, "I'd love to hear that story, dad, do you mind if I pause Morose Soap Opera? I can't concentrate on two things at once, and I want to give you my undivided attention."

If that strategy doesn't work and you find the program insufferable, I agree that it's perfectly reasonable to excuse yourself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version