General Etiquette > Family and Children

Changing the Channel?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Roodabega:
If you ask and they answer "no", would it be possible to respond in a cheery voice: "OK then, I'll just take my dinner to my room and watch tv/do something on my computer"?  As long as you are polite about it, I can't see that it would be a problem.  Possibly it would get them to change the program.  Either way, you get out of watching a program that you don't like.

cb140:
I think I'm with most of the previous posters in saying that there's no harm in asking nicely, but you have to be prepared to accept a No, even though in my personal opinion that would be a bit churlish of your parents - surely there must be something that you all enjoy equally? My son isn't quite as old as you (he is 17) but what we do is say that if its something *only* he likes, he must watch it when we are busy doing other things, but if we are having dinner together in the living room, we will find something we all want to watch.

Interestingly, I wonder what people's views would be if the OP *was* paying her parents rent? Would that give her increased rights over the tv?

jmarvellous:

--- Quote from: cb140 on June 14, 2013, 12:48:17 PM ---I think I'm with most of the previous posters in saying that there's no harm in asking nicely, but you have to be prepared to accept a No, even though in my personal opinion that would be a bit churlish of your parents - surely there must be something that you all enjoy equally? My son isn't quite as old as you (he is 17) but what we do is say that if its something *only* he likes, he must watch it when we are busy doing other things, but if we are having dinner together in the living room, we will find something we all want to watch.

Interestingly, I wonder what people's views would be if the OP *was* paying her parents rent? Would that give her increased rights over the tv?

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately for the OP, not really.  I think she gets 1/3 say, so she can make her opinion known (and should), but rent or no rent, she wouldn't be able to unilaterally overrule the other two adults in the home.

If I were in this situation (the closest I've come is my mom and two younger siblings when home from college for the summer), I compromised by staying as long as it took me to eat, then getting up whether the show I didn't like was over or not.

bopper:
You could tell them that the show really bothers you to watch while eating, but you understand that this is their house and this is what they like to do.
Perhaps you could say that you will eat with them 2 days  a week without the show, and the other days they can watch the show and you will eat elsewhere.
Or you could take a course or get a part time job that is during the dinner hours so you cant eat with tham.

AvidReader:
OP, could you opt out and dine elsewhere, like in the kitchen or dining room and use the opportunity to catch up with the newspaper, a magazine, or a book while your parents are enjoying their show? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version