Author Topic: Fired Employee and professional conferences  (Read 4238 times)

ellebelle

• I am L^2 and my favorite color is Damask
Fired Employee and professional conferences
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:22:33 AM »
Just a little BG. I and many of my staff are involved in a state professional organization for college professionals. I have been on the executive board and highly involved in this organization for many years and typically pull many of my staff to conferences and encourage them to get more involved. Last year, we hired new staff and one of the staff I will call Dean came to us with some experience at another college and has had a little participation with the professional organization before, in fact he had been asked to serve on the conference committee for the Feb 2013 conference. I too was on the conference committee for Feb 2013. When we hired Dean, I shared that since I was already willing to pay for other staff to attend this conference that i would pay his as a staff member as well. The conference came and went, annual membership fees are included in each year's conference registrations, so I have paid for his membership to the PO for the next year. Due to some issues at the conference (not staying the whole time, disappearing) in addition to other problems with attendance at work and performance we let Dean go about a month ago. /BG

We are gearing up for the next year in this professional organization, Dean is listed as a member with my College and I know that there are some people in the org that know him. Any recommendation on how to deal with questions I know I will get about him. For those of you who work in Higher Education it is a very small world and people know one another and talk. I would appreciate a little guidance before the situation actually comes up.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:25:15 AM by ellebelle »
- Well behaved women rarely make history

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Fired Employee and professional conferences
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:51:37 AM »
"Oh, he's not working with us anymore." If he's now employed elsewhere, "I believe he's now at College Y." If you don't know or he's not, "Not sure where he's working now." Then drown them in beandip. You can't stop them speculating, but you don't need to feed it.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:06:23 AM »
I would contact the organizer and have his name removed from your company's listing. It should be simple to do and in our industry (housing)  it is done frequently. Otherwise, I POD Winterlight in simply saying "Oh, he is not with us anymore"

NyaChan

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:23:20 PM »
I agree with Wulfie and Winterlight.  See if you can have him removed from your organization's list and if someone asks just casually say "He's not with our organization anymore."

AnnaJ

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 01:49:04 PM »
Agreed on getting his name removed, if possible, and a bland response.  Academia is indeed a small world and I suspect most people who would comment would actually know part (if not all of) the story, so noncommittal is the way to go - disappointing to the scandal-seeking, but safer.

cwm

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 05:04:57 PM »
I would contact the organizer and have his name removed from your company's listing. It should be simple to do and in our industry (housing)  it is done frequently. Otherwise, I POD Winterlight in simply saying "Oh, he is not with us anymore"

I would advise to be extremely careful in phrasing. I told a client one day that a coworker wasn't with us any more. I meant she wasn't with the organization any more, but it came across that she had passed away. Otherwise, spot on advice.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 05:07:16 PM »
Materials may already be printed, I know that the one we attend has everything printed over a month in advance.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:48:38 AM »

I would advise to be extremely careful in phrasing. I told a client one day that a coworker wasn't with us any more. I meant she wasn't with the organization any more, but it came across that she had passed away. Otherwise, spot on advice.

We just had a coworker die recently, so I was thinking the same thing! "He's not working with us anymore," conveys the essential information accurately- and safely.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

daen

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 07:01:19 PM »

We just had a coworker die recently, so I was thinking the same thing! "He's not working with us anymore," conveys the essential information accurately- and safely.

My go-to line is "He's not with the company anymore." I've had to use that line a lot recently - we've lost almost everyone out of one of our departments in the span of 18 months, with two more leaving before fall...

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »

As does "he's not with our university anymore."

ellebelle

• I am L^2 and my favorite color is Damask
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 03:54:39 PM »
Thanks all,

I know it will be an issue and the people asking will see past the "he's not with the college any more" but you guys are right that I can't really say more than that.
- Well behaved women rarely make history

NyaChan

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 05:35:19 PM »
Thanks all,

I know it will be an issue and the people asking will see past the "he's not with the college any more" but you guys are right that I can't really say more than that.

Honestly, if I heard that, my first thought would not be that there was some scandal, people change jobs for any number of reasons - budget, better offer, personality conflicts, etc. and it has been a year since the last conference.

tiff019

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 05:52:11 PM »
Thanks all,

I'm in higher education as well, and on our end there tends to be some frequent turnover (though not usually within 1 year) so perhaps it won't be as much of a surprise to hear someone isn't with your institution anymore.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »
I think you do need to be prepared for the follow up question.

What's Dean up to these days?
I don't know. He's not at Our College now.
Oh, How come?
I don't have any info on that. Have you heard about Professor Sprout's program to breed beans that make better dips?

You don't have any info that you can share with the questioner. I used the informal "info" deliberately, so it sounds like a casual comment, not a pompous "I am not at liberty to disclose." I'll bet you can figure out a better way to say it.

Maybe "who knows?" would work.

If you do know where he went, then it's easy. "I think he's at Other University now." Oh, there's Professor Sprout! Did you hear about...

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data