Author Topic: Father's Day Family Gathering.  (Read 1841 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Father's Day Family Gathering.
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »
So, MIL's big do at the resort is this weekend.  She's perfectly healthy to attend. She just has to watch her sodium intake. 

Mercifully, she's given up on the video shoot and now just wants, 'plenty of pictures'.  That's easy to do. Her memoir has been reproduced and ready to distribute. Transportation has been arranged.  Everything looks good. 

Here's my etiquette question.  Some of us will be arriving on Saturday and some on Sunday.  There will be four men who are fathers in attendance. 

I love cards and have been seeing some humorous but kind examples in local shops that are bang-on for the men involved. 

Would it be considered odd if I brought the cards and handed them out at Sunday dinner?

MrTango

Re: Father's Day Family Gathering.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:05:46 AM »
Can you remind us what the occasion is for your MIL's "big do?"

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:09:05 AM »
Do you normally send them Father's day cards?  If you don't then it would be a bit weird to hand out cards at what is essentially your MILs event.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
I think it would be a bit weird to hand them out at Sunday dinner.  But even if you don't normally give them cards, I don't think it would be weird to hand them out as you saw each of the Dads on Sunday.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Autumn Rose

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »

I think its a great idea.    Its never wrong to be thoughtful.
Just because its your MIL's "party" - doesn't mean that no one else is allowed to celebrate anything else.

Is there another opportunity to give out the cards - rather than the dinner?    If they are staying at a resort - it could be cute to just slip them under their hotel room door in the AM.   Or have the front desk give it to them at check in. 

This way the thought still counts - but its not made into a "presentation".

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 03:27:12 PM »
Thipu1, I can't find your previous thread about MIL's big do, and I don't remember exactly what is being celebrated.  Whatever it is, since it was scheduled for Father's Day, I think it would be inappropriate for there not to be some acknowledgement of the fathers there, since they did give up their own celebrations to attend.  You certainly shouldn't have to hide your thoughtfulness.

Please remind us what the "big do" is about.  Other than a funeral, I can't think of a family event where it would be excusable to ignore Father's Day. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 03:52:53 PM »
I've tried to find my other posts and haven't been able to do so.  Here's a quick rundown.

MIL is 94 and is, understandably concerned about her passing.  When we visited her in early December of 2012, she proposed this gathering.  She would pay for everyone to come to a resort for which she feels she has a personal relationship.    While there, a professional photographer would make a video that would be shown at her memorial service so that people where she lives,  'can see my whole family at once'.  One of my earlier posts was about my angst of being photographed while speaking.  That isn't a problem any longer. 

There is no specific occasion for this gathering.  It's just that everyone can make arrangements to attend during the same time  and that MIL wants everyone together  for a few days and have plenty of pictures taken.   

I thank everyone for letting me get this out.  I've decided that the most simple way to go will be the best.  Sometimes, just speaking to people whom you trust can be  the best form of therapy.