Author Topic: Hair Color Recommendations?  (Read 512 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Hair Color Recommendations?
« on: June 15, 2013, 12:04:41 PM »
I didn't want to threadjack the other thread in which OP wants to highlight her hair purple, so I thought I'd start a new one.

I have long blond hair (used to be natural, but now it's gone white so I color it back to my natural blond) and have toyed with the idea of putting in a streak of pink and/or purple for a while. I'm wondering if you guys know a good dye to use? I would definitely do it at home as opposed to a salon. I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money since I'm talking about one or two small streaks.

Or do you think I would just look too silly as a woman pushing 50? I think it'd be cute, but now that I'm getting peri-menopausal I don't want to look ridiculous...

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
Re: Hair Color Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »
Go for it!  I've seen lots of ladies of different ages with non-natural hair colour and it's all about attitude.

FYI: I've dyed my children's hair with Directions semi permanent hair colour. Both girls have blondish hair and we didn't do a bleach treatment beforehand. Pillar box red worked well and was long-lasting but was more dark pink than red. Lagoon blue was nice for the first week or two but then faded to more of an aqua-green shade.
The days are long but the years are short.

Sebastienne

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »
If you just want to try out the color for a few weeks, I'd recommend Manic Panic semi-permanent dyes. In high school, I'd change out my hair color every few weeks (my favorite was Rockabilly Blue), and after a while, I learned how to stop dying myself blue along with my hair. Important things: wear gloves, Vaseline your face and hairline to keep dye from sticking, rinse with your head under the bathtub faucet and not in the shower to avoid runoff, use dark-colored bedding...

With those caveats in mind, have a blast:
http://www.manicpanic.com/dyepage1.html

veryfluffy

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 02:19:13 PM »
I am 50, with bum-length blonde hair. I have been putting in purple streaks for about 2 years, and I love it. I use the Schwartzkopf Cyber Purple, which is a permanent dye although it does fade gradually over a couple of months, starts off as a nice deep violet and then fades to lilac. I didn't have any luck with the semi-permanent dyes, as I wash my hair every day.

What I do is mix about 5 ml of each of the two parts in a glass bowl, and then put on disposable latex gloves. Cut a half a dozen or so  10 inch wide pieces of aluminium foil. Select a little chunk of hair, then dab a little glob of dye between my fingers and run it down the strand. Scrunch each strand up in a piece of foil, to keep it away from the other hair. Really try to avoid getting it on your skin, too, as it stains very badly.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 02:30:51 PM »
Have you ever heard of hair chalk?

If you just want to try out a funky color, I think it would be the best option.  It washes out and you can always go to actual dye if you love it.  I was always fond of Manic Panic dye.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 03:50:41 PM »
Get a color that won't fade too fast.  Mine is almost gone three weeks later and DD lost purple to steel-gray with purple undertones in just over a week - the color stayed better the second time it was dyed in - but dyeing twice a month has to be hard on your hair.

DD was getting her hair dyed in burgundy on top and purple on the bottom - worn loose it looked red, worn up or braided, you could see the second color at Renn Faire - but with her natural color being reddish blonde, it was a more striking red on her.  There was leftover burgundy dye, so I got mine done, too (going to the same Renn Faire the next weekend).  On my dark brown/very dark auburn(?) hair (I do have reddish highlights in strong sunlight), it covered my gray with bright red highlights...

Purple and red fade FAST.  The purple on DD's hair didn't last a week to get to Renn Faire as a bright color, even though it was overdyed on a previous layer of bright purple.    The burgundy red fared better and lasted until the Faire.

Four weeks later, my gray is coming back out of hiding.....quickly. VorGuy hasn't even noticed that it was dyed.....

That said, experiment with how you wear it after the dye job.  Just loose hair might not be the best way to highlight the new hair design.....

A friend of DD's had dyed streaks of her curly hair in purple & bright blue - and it changed the way it fell into curls on the dyed areas, leaving her hair looking a bit odd when it was loose - part was straight, part was wavy, and part was loose curls.  And the different textures didn't look intentional......  The waves of blue & purple in curls of dark brown with some gray just ended up looking uncombed - at least to me. 

I thought that it looked fabulous, even striking when it was French braided........the way the various colors wove in and out of the braids and streaked the side of her head - the uneven curls made the sides of her head have an interesting texture.  The loose tendril curls  looked like they'd been carefully moussed and pinned into place - instead of the pure accident of dropping a few strands of shorter hair from the braiding pattern. 

Now I wish I'd French braided everyone's hair for the Faire......
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:01:23 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 04:13:13 PM »

If you just want to try out a funky color, I think it would be the best option.  It washes out and you can always go to actual dye if you love it.  I was always fond of Manic Panic dye.

That is a great idea! Then I could experiment with how much I want to do and where I want the streaks placed before I put on a pemanent dye. I think I'll definitely try that as a first step!  :)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 05:31:34 PM »

That is a great idea! Then I could experiment with how much I want to do and where I want the streaks placed before I put on a permanent dye. I think I'll definitely try that as a first step!  :)

Glad I could be of assistance.  ;) 

Just a word of warning though.  On blond hair you need to make sure your hair is dry before you twist a section and apply...if it's even slightly damp you could accidentally turn hair chalk into permanent dye.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 07:47:39 PM »
I'm a hairstylist by trade. I love hair chalk for people who just want to try something new since it washes right out. Splat is permanent and doesn't come out properly even if you bleach it out.  I have used Manic Panic it can run so wash with cold only. But unlike Splat it comes out eventually!

I know you don't want to spend a lot, I don't know salon prices where you are Sami, but at my salon we start at $5 per foil. So just a few wouldn't run you that much, like $10-15ish. Perhaps price check some local places as well as at home solutions?

Also I have many clients your age who have fun streaks put in, so I don't think it will look out of place at all! ;D