Author Topic: What not to order in a restaurant: Next Chapter  (Read 3419 times)

staceym

Re: What not to order in a restaurant: Next Chapter
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »
yep - what not to eat one a first date or business lunch/dinner

Ribs
any type of pasta - red sauce or cream sauce
crab/shrimp/lobster still in their shell

the other thing is salad

I LOVE salad - but they ALWAYS bring them out with huge pieces of lettuce that are too big to eat in one bite so I usually have to cut up my salad before eating; but then the other problem is they bring the salad either overflowing on a too small dish (side salad) or bring out this huge dinner salad in big overflowing bowl that when I try to cut up the salad it goes all over the place  :o

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »
I told DH I hoped I'd never have to date again, because I love beer and chicken wings too much, and nothing says romance like wing sauce lips and a plate of chicken bones.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »

Ribs

the other thing is salad

I LOVE salad - but they ALWAYS bring them out with huge pieces of lettuce that are too big to eat in one bite so I usually have to cut up my salad before eating; but then the other problem is they bring the salad either overflowing on a too small dish (side salad) or bring out this huge dinner salad in big overflowing bowl that when I try to cut up the salad it goes all over the place  :o

Isn't it also considered an etiquette violation to cut salad at the table?

I've never understood why restaurants make salads with big lettuce leaves like that and sandwiches with the lettuce shredded into little bits. The big leaves would work so much better on sandwiches -- the shreds get everywhere! -- and the shreds would work better in salads.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

amylouky

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2013, 12:12:36 PM »
I don't like to order veggie burgers, though I often do. I hate paying $8 for the exact same food I have in my freezer and paid less than $4 for a 4-pack.

I don't let my boys order mac 'n cheese as an entree, for just this reason. Petty, I know.. but no way am I paying $3.99 (times two!) for 1/4 of a box of generic mac 'n cheese that would be .49 at the grocery.
Now, there is a BBQ place that we go to that makes perfect homemade mac 'n cheese.. they can get that all they want to.

Amara

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2013, 12:42:13 PM »

Ribs

the other thing is salad

I'll just add: Skip the pepper too. When I was meeting the editor-in-chief of the newspaper for whom I wrote a column for several years at a lunch interview I kept muttering to myself beforehand: No pepper, white salad dressing, baked only. (We met at a seafood restaurant on the wharf.)

Stirling

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2013, 03:10:11 PM »
A few years ago I had to go to New Orleans for business.  I had never been, so I asked my brother for ideas of places to go and things to do since he has visited New Orleans a number of time.  He told me I had to go to this restaurant (forget the name) and order the BBQ shrimp.  When the entree arrived it was nothing like I expected.  It was a bowl of shrimp with the heads and shells on in a thin red sauce/liquid.  I don't like to work at eating my food when I am dining out, so this was not the type of meal that I would ever order out.  The shrimp were good, but definitely not worth the effort or mess. 

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 03:59:36 PM »
I don't like to order veggie burgers, though I often do. I hate paying $8 for the exact same food I have in my freezer and paid less than $4 for a 4-pack.

I don't let my boys order mac 'n cheese as an entree, for just this reason. Petty, I know.. but no way am I paying $3.99 (times two!) for 1/4 of a box of generic mac 'n cheese that would be .49 at the grocery.
Now, there is a BBQ place that we go to that makes perfect homemade mac 'n cheese.. they can get that all they want to.

We always skip over mac and cheese if it's on the menu when we read the menu to DD. I hate going out with friends who don't do it, because then DD gets all excited for it. I am SO not paying $4-$6 for Easy Mac.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2013, 05:44:35 PM »

Ribs

the other thing is salad

Isn't it also considered an etiquette violation to cut salad at the table?

I've never understood why restaurants make salads with big lettuce leaves like that and sandwiches with the lettuce shredded into little bits. The big leaves would work so much better on sandwiches -- the shreds get everywhere! -- and the shreds would work better in salads.
Since when? And what's so wrong with cutting up a salad except that you bruise the leaves when you cut it up with a metal knife?

Some ties it doesn't have to be a seafood restaurant to have seafood. A lot of the nice restaurants have seafood here because they like to show off.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2013, 06:17:55 PM »
There was a Thai place back in Boston that had a very tasty spicy shrimp dish that I only ever ordered the once. They left the shells on, and it was put-near impossible to get them off even with a knife and fork without looking like a homicidal maniac. I wondered if you were intended to eat the shrimp shell and all but that didn't appeal to me at all and the ratio of shell to shrimp was pretty high, so it just wasn't worth taking another whack at it the next time we went there.

I don't know how one would go about getting the shell off a shrimp with a knife and fork to begin with. That's definitely a job meant to be done by hand.

Thai people actually DO eat the shell of prawns. DH and I got into an argument with one of the waiters at our favourite Thai restaurant because the tail was left on inside a rice paper parcel.

I've seen the tail left on for effect, but you see it there in a dish and it's dne for effect. Never inside something where you can bite into it like a bit of plastic.

I seem to recall reading something about cutting your cholesterol by eating the tail (and a bit of shell) with the shrimp - there is something about it that really reduces how much your body absorbs.

I forget what it was.

My theory is that the extra "roughage" takes it through your system a lot faster....but it might be something else.

I don't LIKE the shell.  So I suppose my cholesterol levels rise after eating shrimp.  I promise not to do it more than once a week, at most.  There are so many other things to eat!

I can't imagine that eating the shell would be good for anyone. Yuck. I live in a port city and eat local shrimp at least once a week, if not more. I've only ever heard of the shells being used for bait when fishing, not for eating.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Dr. F.

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2013, 06:29:39 PM »
Long pasta and red sauce is a standard item to avoid for beginning business diners.  I'm at the point where I can twirl pasta without the spoon and without having to look too closely but I recommend to younger colleagues to not order this.

Ha! When I was interviewing for my first faculty position, I was invited to dinner at my future Dept. Chair's house. Mind you, at this point I had been "on" for the interview since my plane landed at 5PM the previous day. He and his wife (another scientist) served spaghetti with red sauce. I laughed and told them that in what I had read, that was the one thing one should NEVER eat while on a job interview (making it clear I was joking). They laughed.

I got the job, and the Dept. Chair and his wife both became good friends and mentors to me.  :)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2013, 06:40:13 PM »
A friend of mine had a job interview in a Starbucks.  This was a new experience for her and she was wondering what that was about.  I speculated that it could have been because:

• the interviewer was coming from someplace else and going back to his office would not have been convenient for him at that hour
  • the interviewer's office was too small
  • the setting provided a test she was expected to pass

My advice therefore was "Don't pull a Niles" (Frasier reference to Niles' fussiness about his coffee), but to order something relatively simple and not from the $5 list.  She decided just to order a grande coffee.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2013, 06:41:56 PM »
There was a Thai place back in Boston that had a very tasty spicy shrimp dish that I only ever ordered the once. They left the shells on, and it was put-near impossible to get them off even with a knife and fork without looking like a homicidal maniac. I wondered if you were intended to eat the shrimp shell and all but that didn't appeal to me at all and the ratio of shell to shrimp was pretty high, so it just wasn't worth taking another whack at it the next time we went there.

I don't know how one would go about getting the shell off a shrimp with a knife and fork to begin with. That's definitely a job meant to be done by hand.

Thai people actually DO eat the shell of prawns. DH and I got into an argument with one of the waiters at our favourite Thai restaurant because the tail was left on inside a rice paper parcel.

I've seen the tail left on for effect, but you see it there in a dish and it's dne for effect. Never inside something where you can bite into it like a bit of plastic.

I seem to recall reading something about cutting your cholesterol by eating the tail (and a bit of shell) with the shrimp - there is something about it that really reduces how much your body absorbs.

I forget what it was.

My theory is that the extra "roughage" takes it through your system a lot faster....but it might be something else.

I don't LIKE the shell.  So I suppose my cholesterol levels rise after eating shrimp.  I promise not to do it more than once a week, at most.  There are so many other things to eat!

I can't imagine that eating the shell would be good for anyone. Yuck. I live in a port city and eat local shrimp at least once a week, if not more. I've only ever heard of the shells being used for bait when fishing, not for eating.

Not the whole shell - I think that the idea was to eat just the "tail" and the last segment of the shell - the part that gets left on some shrimp as a "handle" when you're going to be dipping them in sauce but don't have a seafood fork or cocktail (frilled) toothpick to use.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2013, 07:03:14 PM »
My husband eats shrimp shells all the time and has for twenty years.

I won't eat salads at a business lunch because I am a slow eater and it takes me forever to finish one.

TylerBelle

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 07:07:45 PM »
Corn on the cob.
I love it, but won't eat it off the cob itself. Mainly for my two front teeth are capped, and though I've not tried eating corn (or apples, etc.) as this since I've gotten these last two put in, I don't want to take the risk. Also, ending up with cheeks and chin smeared with butter and sticky corn bits isn't preferable. At home, I cut it off the cob with a sharp knife, though the thought doing so in a restaurant, or at barbeque, etc., would be fearful of making a big ol' mess.
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2013, 07:46:53 PM »
Anything made with soft shell crabs.  I know the shell is supposed to be eaten, similar to some ways shrimp are prepared, but I just can't do it.  We went to an upscale restaurant with an Asian flair.  I ordered skewered prawns in coconut sauce.  The prawns came whole and, IMHO, so raw they were inedible.  I apologized to the waiter and returned the prawns.  I would have settled for the kitchen finishing preparing the prawns - behead them, de-shell them, and cook them until they turn pink.  I could not bite into a grey prawn.  The waiter said it was a style of preparation popular in Asia, but he understood why I did not want to eat them.  He didn't have the cook prepare them the way I wanted; He just removed the charge from our bill.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius