Author Topic: Ever wondered what cats get up to?  (Read 1114 times)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Ever wondered what cats get up to?
« on: June 14, 2013, 12:41:50 PM »
Link to BBC website here:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567526

They attached GPS collars to 50 cats living in a small English village, then put small cameras on 14 of those. The full TV program probably won't be available outside the UK, but this page on their website is. Mind you- their camerawork is a bit wobbly!
NE England

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: Ever wondered what cats get up to?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
They showed a snippet of it on the news here in America..it was funny.  I don't want to know what my cats do when I am not home, but I am sure they get on the table (we have an agreement that they don't do it in front of me  :) ) and at least once a week I do ask them "Who did this?" when I come home to something knocked over or a ball of yarn dragged through the house (bonus points for getting the $25 skein).  They never fess up, or will look at the poor dog.

m2kbug

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing!  I enjoyed the clips!

sunnygirl

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 07:50:08 PM »
I Tivo'd this (and the making-of documentary) and I don't think I'll ever delete it.
Actually I think they should make it a weekly series. Don't even bother with all the scientists explaining cat behaviour, just make it 30 mins of cat-cam footage.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »
Warning: do not click on Orlando unless you want an up-close and personal view of reverse peristalsis.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 08:40:56 PM »
Warning: do not click on Orlando unless you want an up-close and personal view of reverse peristalsis.

I saw that one. >.< Eeeew. Then again I have a dog who has tummy issues so it actually didn't really bother me.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 03:01:53 AM »

I saw that one. >.< Eeeew. Then again I have a dog who has tummy issues so it actually didn't really bother me.

Well I did consider posting that one on the Gross-Out Thread!
NE England

scotcat60

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:20:42 AM »
Warning: do not click on Orlando unless you want an up-close and personal view of reverse peristalsis

Ah yes, the results of over indulging in too many bunny intestines.

There was a follow up programme"Little Cat Diaries" shown on BBC2 the following night. One owner seemed suprised that her cat was sneaking into another cat's house and stealing it's food.  I wasn't, that's how I got my last two cats, they just turned up, and moved in. Nor was I surprised by the cat which moved out when the owners got a large dog. although the woman was hurt that it preferred the dog-free neighbour to her.

Similarly, I wasn't too surprised at the results of the experiments with cats, separating them from, and then reuniting them with their owners, as they have done with dogs and children. Dogs and children will run to the owner/ mother and make a fuss, cats will barely turn a whisker.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 04:48:52 AM »
In retrospect, maybe I should have warned non-UK e-hellions that being sick means vomiting over here... Sorry guys >:D
NE England

perpetua

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 07:17:45 AM »
I loved this show. What made me laugh was that all the cats thought they were tough guys out patrolling and hunting, yet when they were being tracked names like 'Sooty' and 'Fluffy' were showing up on the screen :) Bet that'd burst their bubble if they knew.

It was fascinating, though. I've always wanted to put cameras on my boys to see what they get up to when they go out. I live right behind a park, so I suspect they may be patrolling round there although most of the time they don't seem to go any further than our own back garden. Last week next door had a new fence put up, and they didn't even cross over into their garden when there was no fence there. I suspect if they'd followed mine, we would have got footage of two lazy old boys asleep on the sofa all day.

veronaz

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 10:21:30 AM »
One of my favorite cat videos is the story about Dusty, the Cat Burglar.  He goes out at night and steals things.  But he got busted Animal Planet set up cameras.  Watch how he carries things back to the house!  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDX7tevXO1E