Author Topic: Not every cold call is a telemarketer.  (Read 5263 times)

Tea Drinker

Re: Not every cold call is a telemarketer.
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2014, 12:51:49 AM »
A "random person answering the telephone" would be the friend of my parents' who was visiting and happened to be nearest the phone, so picked it up and said hello. Half an hour later, she told us that she had been chatting with someone who had called the wrong number.

OK, most of us wouldn't chat with a wrong-number caller: but the phone might plausibly be answered by a visitor to the home, who might or might not be visiting the person who the doctor's office was trying to reach. You might tell your husband what doctors you're seeing, and not want your sister- or brother-in-law to know.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

veronaz

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2014, 02:52:01 PM »
Re debate about “random people answering the phone, who is/is not considered “random”, doctor’s offices and various health care professionals calling………is ‘reaching’.

The OP clearly stated what happened in her initial post.  She was not a doctor calling a patient’s home, and the man’s wife was not a random person.  I don’t see why hypotheticals are necessary in this situation.

Also, no one knows what would have happened if OP had said she was calling about the church softball league.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »
If the man organizing the league had such an issue with telemarketers I think the onus was on him to ensure that anyone calling him who was not a telemarketer was able to be identified as not a telemarketer. It's not on the OP to assume that the man hates telemarketers more than most people do, and uses profanity on the phone, and to introduce herself in such a way as to avoid that.

I think she did nothing wrong.

If the man didn't want people calling and asking for him, he could have:

1) not volunteered field calls about the team

2) given his number for the pamphlet but not his name, so that callers would be forced to start with "I'm calling about softball" instead of asking for his name

3) just supplied an email address/mailing address, not a phone number

4) given a fake name for the pamphlet so he'd know what they were calling about.

A guy I dated in college had to supply a phone number for an activity he was the director of. He lived in a fraternity with few phone lines and so much chaoes that men hardly ever got their phone messages. So instead, he gave his work number out. But he wanted to be able to know that they were calling about this activity instead of work, so he gave a fake name. He knew that anyone asking for this fake name was calling about the activity instead of work.