Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

You can't afford this

<< < (2/15) > >>

kherbert05:
I have a relative who is a
commercial fisherman
multi-millionaire

He still works his own boats. He looks like a commercial fisherman - hands, tan, weathered face.

He is doing a big deal with some people from another province. They insist on not using a local bank. He drives into the capital in his pickup that has ended up in the river twice. (Once the ice broke, once the boys didn't set the brake properly.). He is wearing slacks and a sweater. (suits and ties for baptisms, weddings, and funerals). He gets to the bank, goes to the banker's office - and is refused entry by some official. Banker is in an important meeting it seems. Knowing relative he only gave his name once or twice. He isn't going to argue the point with someone from away. He leaves. Goes to his pick up. Calls the other party, who is sitting in the banker's office. Relative tells them - bank won't let me in. If you want to do business with me meet me at Other Bank (were all the managers are locals). Walks in without an appointment tells the Banker what is up - banker finds time to meet with them deal goes through.

Oh Joy:
That was a completely inappropriate assumption, and a poor business decision.  But I will provide the perspective that it's very possible that the past X number of houses in similar neighborhoods that he visited have not accepted quotes for similar work, saying they can't afford it.  And this is probably a busy time of year for him.  If he's allocating too much time to free estimates that don't turn into paying jobs, he'd be better served to change his business model (like free phone consults while looking at a satellite image of the property). 

Just wish he'd said 'folks in your shoes are usually only looking to spend a grand or so for a job like this,' or used similar phrasing, because that's likely what he really meant...not a commentary on your personal net worth.

Can you tell I work with lots of small businesses?   :D

menley:

--- Quote from: Oh Joy on June 15, 2013, 06:34:13 AM ---<snip>
Just wish he'd said 'folks in your shoes are usually only looking to spend a grand or so for a job like this,' or used similar phrasing, because that's likely what he really meant...not a commentary on your personal net worth.
<snip>

--- End quote ---

Honestly, I would find that just as insulting.

MrTango:
Would it be bad to respond: "Can you afford to make that assumption?"

veronaz:

--- Quote from: menley on June 15, 2013, 10:31:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: Oh Joy on June 15, 2013, 06:34:13 AM ---<snip>
<snip>

--- End quote ---

Honestly, I would find that just as insulting.

--- End quote ---

I agree; that is just as insulting.  He knows nothing about their "shoes" and OP said nothing about telling him their spending limitations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version