Author Topic: You can't afford this  (Read 20317 times)

kckgirl

Re: You can't afford this
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2014, 08:00:11 AM »
A gentleman who worked in my office went into a jewelry store to buy diamond earrings for his wife's Christmas gift. He was wearing jeans, a button down shirt, with a pullover sweater. I will mention here that even in jeans, he was always immaculately dressed in clothes I couldn't afford. The salesperson took one look at him and said something to the effect that he couldn't afford to buy what they were selling and implying that he should leave. He asked for the manager, told manager that he was buying diamond earrings for his wife, was prepared to spend $$$$ for them, but that the store had lost his business because of salesperson's remark. He then walked out and went to the mall's other jewelry store, directly across from the original store, to make his purchase.
Maryland

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2014, 10:05:11 AM »
I've posted this before I think.

My Uncle is a fisherman. Deep sea tan, hard hands - and a millionaire. These people from away were doing some type of large business deal, and they wanted to use a bank not based in the Maritines.

Uncle prefers local businesses but said ok. Showed up dressed nice. Knowing him that was slacks, a button down shirt if warmish, sweater if cool, and loafers. When he told someone he had an appointment with Mr. Banker - they basically said no he has meeting with some big wigs. Knowing uncle he probably didn't give his name first. The town he lives in - well Mom left there well over 50 years ago - sis gets pegged as Mom's daughter the minute she opens her mouth and that Texas Draw comes out. (I look like Dad's side so not so much) It is definitely a everyone knows your name place.

The staff were in shut down mode and didn't listen when Uncle tried to give his name - and that Island Pride kicked in. He left called the big wigs and told him the bank wouldn't let him in the door. If they wanted the deal they could meet him at local bank. They did the deal but at uncle's bank.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2014, 07:12:34 PM »

My Uncle is a fisherman. Deep sea tan, hard hands - and a millionaire. These people from away were doing some type of large business deal, and they wanted to use a bank not based in the Maritines.

Uncle prefers local businesses but said ok. Showed up dressed nice. Knowing him that was slacks, a button down shirt if warmish, sweater if cool, and loafers. When he told someone he had an appointment with Mr. Banker - they basically said no he has meeting with some big wigs. Knowing uncle he probably didn't give his name first. The town he lives in - well Mom left there well over 50 years ago - sis gets pegged as Mom's daughter the minute she opens her mouth and that Texas Draw comes out. (I look like Dad's side so not so much) It is definitely a everyone knows your name place.

The staff were in shut down mode and didn't listen when Uncle tried to give his name - and that Island Pride kicked in. He left called the big wigs and told him the bank wouldn't let him in the door. If they wanted the deal they could meet him at local bank. They did the deal but at uncle's bank.

Per the bolded: not sure what that phrase means. Something Texan-specific?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2014, 07:35:31 PM »
I think she dropped the 'L' off the end of draw...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2014, 08:59:54 PM »
I think she dropped the 'L' off the end of draw...

Awww..makes sense. Thanks!

cross_patch

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2014, 10:51:39 PM »

Actually, you posted it on the first page of this thread!

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2014, 10:08:54 AM »
Well worth the read again!  ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »
We went away to the beach for the weekend, and I had made the hotel reservations and prepaid for them over a month ago. I had two different people I work with make the assumption we were just going up for the day.  :-\

Kate

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2014, 01:26:10 PM »
My ex and I walked into a furniture shop looking to buy a new mattress.  It took us forever to get the attention of a salesman  and by the time we finally did, he treated us like we were something he'd tracked in on his overly-shined shoes.  Never mind that I had $3000 IN CASH in my pocket that I was ready to spend right there.

We went to a different store and got excellent service AND a better deal.  I'll never shop at The Brick again for anything, that's sure.

I have heard (and said) the bolded so many times.  And now that The Brick and Leon's are owned by the same parent company...  I'll be looking for a new place to buy furniture the next time I'm buying something.
I'm surprised. We have bought a lot of stuff at the Brick and Leons over the years and never had a problem getting service. We are jeans and shirts kind of people and not the designer brands either..plus the odds are my husband will be wearing workboots too! LOL
I find at those kinds of stores the salespeople are in one's face too much rather than the opposite.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2014, 03:12:15 AM »
And on the other side of the same coin, I recall a trip to England with my father. We were visiting relatives in the south, and then wanted to explore the northern part of the country. Not having relatives there, we booked a hotel in advance, sight unseen. It was a long drive, we got lost a couple of times on the way, and we arrived hungry and exhausted. Also, I was dressed VERY comfortably for the drive; in fact, my faded jeans had holes in them and on top I was wearing a baggy t-shirt.

The hotel was classier than we'd been expecting, and on arrival (it was past usual dinner hour) we asked if there was anywhere we could get something to eat. We were thinking sandwiches or a pub down the road, or something.  The person at the desk said, "Certainly. Right this way." We followed him to a very nice, high-end restaurant within the hotel. I was horribly embarrassed about my ripped jeans and if I'd known, I would have changed first. I think my dad was similarly casually dressed, though I was the one who felt like a real slob. It was the kind of place where the prices weren't listed on the menu. We'd had something more casual and inexpensive in mind, but we figured, "What the heck, we're here, let's enjoy it." We had a fantastic meal and were treated with the utmost respect throughout, as though we were their most well-heeled customers. Even though I was horribly dressed for the occasion.

There is money, and then there is class, and the two are not necessarily synonymous.

Redsoil

« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2014, 03:37:23 AM »
And that, Raintree, is how it should be!

Money is a very nice thing to have, but it shouldn't be the basis for judging people.  If someone feels they can afford a certain service or goods, then those in business would do well to work with them, rather than looking down on them.  If it turns out they're not quite expecting things to be so expensive, then other arrangements might be suggested.  However, you just never know when that initial assistance (and open-mindedness) might  pay off for a business down the track.  People remember both the good and the bad.

I'm pretty lucky, it seems, in how I'm approached in businesses, even though I generally dress for comfort rather than style.  I think Australia is much more down-to-earth in such matters!  Even when I go to the city, it still seems I get a good run.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2014, 10:26:12 AM »
I also dress for comfort more than style. We have two employees who wear break neck high heels daily and frequently trip over things in them.

No. I will wear my lovely wedges and flats and you can have the super high heels.