Author Topic: You can't afford this  (Read 20620 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: You can't afford this
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
If I won or inherited a small amount, I wouldn't be interested in leaving my neighbourhood.  I like my neighbours and my house.  I've done a lot of garden work that I'm proud of.  It isn't finished yet and if I came into some money, I probably would hire somebody to help me finish it.

On the other hand, if I won a large lottery, I probably would build my dream house.  :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »
I would have probably said, "You are right.  I can't afford your attitude.  Bub Bye." and turn around and walk in your house.  What a jerk!  Glad you got your yard done!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »
What a boor!  There was no way he could have known your finances just by where you lived or what your appearance was.  I don't think I could have been so polite.

When I was a newlywed I was working in a high end department store in the Washington, DC area until my government clearances were completed.  As a cashier in the designer dresses department I saw people throw down some serious cash for dresses and furs (fur salon was on the same floor).  We were also trained to watch for shoplifters.  One afternoon a cashier called security to the department for a suspected shoplifter.  Security arrived and she pointed out a woman wearing jeans, a sweatshirt and her hair tied in a scarf.  The lady was not acting suspiciously.  When security questioned the lady it was discovered she was the wife of the Venezuelan ambassador.  The cashier was asked what made her think the lady was shoplifting and she said "Well, LOOK at her!".  Cashier was fired.

cwm

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 10:08:57 AM »
When I was working at the outdoors store, we frequently had farmers coming in. They didn't look all that fancy, often came in with dirt-stained overalls. The thing is, when they wanted something, they'd have cash in hand. We had one salesperson try to turn one of them away. Luckily the customer was a regular and someone else noticed him. That employee got a good talking-to about never assuming based on looks what someone could or couldn't afford.

courtsmad25

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 01:01:18 PM »
SO TRUE! I did a small business on the side (think Mary Kay but naughtier), and it was my experience that people in the "nicer up and coming" area was all flash but no cash. ::)

And..on the flip side, I have a cousin who drives a 15 year old truck, has a long beard and looks like all of the members on "Duck Dynasty", and is a millionaire several times over.. 

Minmom3

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 01:08:21 PM »
Heh.  Back in the early 1970's, I had a boyfriend with a mother who was a candy heiress.  Owned a lot of land in a pricey area of Los Angeles, but didn't dress too impressively.  Decided, in part thanks to her car crazed son, to trade in her Mustang for a Porsche.  Went, with son, to the Beverly Hills Porsche dealer, and picked out a car.  Told salesman she wanted that one.  Salesman brought her in to the room to do up the documents, where he also asked her about payments.  She said she'd write him a check.  He wasn't sure he could accept a check and let her drive the car away - think she meant to write him a check for the down payment, when in fact she meant to buy the car with one check, that day.  He said he'd have to check with his manager about accepting the check, and he took a check with him to inquire.  Came back white faced, as apparently the bank told him how much money she had in their bank... ... ...  Was NOT a small amount, she was a multimillionaire back in the day when that was a lot rarer than it is now, and the manager glad handed her until she got in the car and drove away.  Boyfriend thought it was the funniest thing ever.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

veronaz

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2013, 01:26:25 PM »
Goor story about the Porsche, but
Came back white faced, as apparently the bank told him how much money she had in their bank... ... ...  Was NOT a small amount, she was a multimillionaire back in the day

I realize this was back in the 70s and things have changed, but banks aren't supposed to tell how much a person has in their account.  Serious breach.  However, they can verify there is enough to cover a particular check.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2013, 04:08:06 PM »
My grandfather was a farmer and was very well off. He only dressed up for church and had several businesses discount him because of his appearance and what he drove.

Same with DH's grandfather, who was a retired commercial pilot and owned a golf course. He would drive around the area in his gullwing Mercedes, but people would still judge him because he didn't dress in a fancy manner.

sleepy59

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2013, 06:04:36 PM »
This thread has reminded me of an incident from years ago.

Background - I married my ex-husband when I was 19 and he was 21.  We bought our first house 2 months after we got married, we sold it a year later and bought house number 2.  We had DS1 while we were in the first house and 18 months later we had DS2. - end background

Two years after we bought house 2 we decided to sell the house and move closer to where my husband worked.  I started looking at new build houses while he was at work.  It was a hot summer and one day I was wearing cut off denim shorts, not what I would normally wear for house hunting but I was exploring the area with the kids and stumbled across a development I didn't know existed.

I walked into the sales office and started asking about their 3 bedroom homes.  The lady looked me up and down and said "we have nothing in your price range".  She then turned her back and walked off.

I just turned and walked out, to be honest if that was her attitude I didn't want to have to deal with her during the buying process. 

We kept looking and about two weeks later we put down the deposit on a 3 bedroom detached house which was perfect.  I did have the last laugh though when the building company went bust before they managed to sell all of the houses they had built.  I wonder how many other people the sales woman decided weren't good enough to buy one of their homes.

lurkerwisp

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 01:29:19 PM »
On the opposite side of things, on our honeymoon DH and I had a great time shopping at antique stores down in the French Quarter.  Because we were dressed so nicely, him in nice new shoes and me in my fur-lined jacket, because it was a special event and we were enjoying the fancy restaurants - the salespeople at the antique stores and art galleries were giving us the grand tour.  It was fun, but there was really nothing we could even remotely afford in there.

Minmom3

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 12:09:00 AM »
Goor story about the Porsche, but
Came back white faced, as apparently the bank told him how much money she had in their bank... ... ...  Was NOT a small amount, she was a multimillionaire back in the day

I realize this was back in the 70s and things have changed, but banks aren't supposed to tell how much a person has in their account.  Serious breach.  However, they can verify there is enough to cover a particular check.

What they used to do, professionally, was say "high 3 digits.  Low 5 digits.  High 7-8-9 digits".  It gave out no actual info, just assured the vendor or other bank that there was or was not enough money to cover a check tendered to them.  They did that in California A LOT in those days.  Don't know what they do now.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

lowspark

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 04:00:08 PM »
This is a classic error made by many salespeople and contractors. I had it happen to me when I was buying a new car many years ago. The salesman flat out told me that the car I was interested in was expensive and wouldn't I be interested in these other (cheaper) cars? I bought the car I wanted... from a different dealership.

When I was remodeling my kitchen, DH and I did about 9 months worth of shopping and researching before we even talked to the first contractor. I got several quotes and I would hand them a list of materials, a list of tasks they were to complete, and a layout drawing. So it was pretty clear that I knew exactly what I wanted and that I'd done my homework.

And yet I still had a couple of these guys say "do you realize how much this is going to cost?" or "wow, that's a lot. It's going to be expensive to do all this."

Ummm... yeah. I kinda figured that out when I was doing all this research and shopping.

What gets me is they bothered to show up, they bothered to listen to everything I had to say, they bothered to take notes and ask quesitions, and then, without the benefit of actually giving me an estimate, they threw away all that time and effort by making my decision to not hire them for me.

I did do the remodel. It did cost me a bundle. I had saved up for it and paid for it all at that time. And the contractor I hired never once doubted what I told him or asked for.

Why throw away business before you even have it?

Janice

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »
We're currently shopping for a reno contractor. We live in a nice area in an older house, and because we're younger than a lot of people, we get the assumption either that we're renting or that we are financially strapped, neither of which are true. We interviewed a contractor last week who basically did everything BUT say out loud "I don't think you can afford this so I feel that I'm wasting my time and I'm not interested." It came through loud and clear, and neither of us were impressed.

Due to his crappy 'tude, he's just lost an opportunity at a 6-figure contract. And I certainly wouldn't recommend him to anyone else, either.

Remember that old saying: when you "assume" you make an A** out of U and ME!

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 11:12:51 PM »
I'm reminded of my cousin F. He was an ol' farmer. He had a bank account with the same bank all his life. He owned a lot of land, and as the suburbs of Boston expanded, he sold off his land a little bit at a time - always researching the developers, making sure they were good businesses, and would build nice neighborhoods. As a result, he had a LOT of money. He began investing, and did well at that, too. And he always paid by check - never took out a loan.

When he was in his 60's (about 30 years ago), there was an opportunity he wanted to invest in, but didn't have the cash needed handy. So he went to his bank - the one he had been doing business with for around 50 years - to get a loan. The loan officer wouldn't loan him anything - because he had no credit history! Cousin F just said, "Is (first name of long-time bank president) here?" and walked right into the man's office. Loud laughter came out.

He got the loan.
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 09:31:23 AM »
That was a completely inappropriate assumption, and a poor business decision.  But I will provide the perspective that it's very possible that the past X number of houses in similar neighborhoods that he visited have not accepted quotes for similar work, saying they can't afford it.  And this is probably a busy time of year for him.  If he's allocating too much time to free estimates that don't turn into paying jobs, he'd be better served to change his business model (like free phone consults while looking at a satellite image of the property). 

Just wish he'd said 'folks in your shoes are usually only looking to spend a grand or so for a job like this,' or used similar phrasing, because that's likely what he really meant...not a commentary on your personal net worth.

Can you tell I work with lots of small businesses?   :D

I find that equally insulting. I know very wealthy people who live in simple homes. I also know some people who live in mcmansions who are up to their eyeballs in debt. If any business owner said this to me I'd show them the door, along with a few comments that made my point. And I disagree that a comment like this would not be a personal comment. It is very personal...and very presumptuous.