Author Topic: You can't afford this  (Read 20655 times)

LB

Re: You can't afford this
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2013, 12:08:38 PM »
The examples from shops are interesting. We don't have many "high-end" stores in my area, but a few. I've gone in and browsed a few times in casual clothing and felt like I was being watched pretty closely or not taken seriously as a customer.

What confuses me about it though is I don't know many people who dress up to go shopping.  :P

Even if I had a lot of fancy clothes to wear, I'd still wear something casual and comfy to shop.

ETA: I've only just now realized how old this thread is. Sorry about that. Just browsing aroud the topic and didn't check the date.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:22:25 PM by LB »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2013, 01:38:14 PM »
We are buying DS a new camera for Christmas. His is very old and it is getting difficult to find the specific type of memory cards it takes. DH and I will continue to use the old one, and we are very excited.

I have only told one person outside DH that we are doing this and she (my sister) recommended we get a refurbished one instead. I mentioned that the warranty and bundle savings alone make enough of a difference that it is not worth it. I am glad I didn't tell anyone else.

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2013, 02:43:15 PM »
I did a little experiment when I was a teenager.  I went to the mall (the one with the higher-end stores) dressed like my usual slob self and the salespeople generally ignored me.  The next day I wore my 501's and my friend's Polo shirt (late 80's - heh) and went back to the mall where the salespeople all greeted me and asked if they could help me find anything.

I thought that was interesting.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2013, 02:49:42 PM »
The 4500 quote actually got DH motivated - he hired 2 teenage boys to help with the hard stuff and we did the lawn ourselves for about $1500.

Well, in a way he was right.

You maybe *could* have afforded it. But you didn't want to.

The money-saving urge that prompted your DH to do it himself for so much less is the same urge that has you guys living in your house and your neighborhood.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »
I did a little experiment when I was a teenager.  I went to the mall (the one with the higher-end stores) dressed like my usual slob self and the salespeople generally ignored me.  The next day I wore my 501's and my friend's Polo shirt (late 80's - heh) and went back to the mall where the salespeople all greeted me and asked if they could help me find anything.

I thought that was interesting.

Yes, there's casual and casual. It's funny that two people can be wearing the same thing (sneakers, jeans and a white tee shirt) and one have spent less than $100.00 on everything and the other that on the tee shirt alone.

Annoyed in America

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2013, 08:21:56 PM »
I get that contractors/landscapers don't want to spend a bunch of time creating a bid for someone who has no idea of the expense involved and is going from Discovery Channel shows and magazines.

I think they are better off asking either

1. What is your budget range for this work? or

2. I'll have to do a more research/check current prices for a detailed bid, but my back of the envelope ball park figure for this is $XX,XXX and it will take Y time frame are you comfortable with that?. That way if the customer sputters and says Discovery Channel show can do it for $x,XXX over 3 days the contractor can walk away.

Glad someone else here thinks like me.  Perhaps it's because we own a business.  (At least I do.)

katycoo

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2013, 10:00:40 PM »
We are buying DS a new camera for Christmas. His is very old and it is getting difficult to find the specific type of memory cards it takes. DH and I will continue to use the old one, and we are very excited.

I have only told one person outside DH that we are doing this and she (my sister) recommended we get a refurbished one instead. I mentioned that the warranty and bundle savings alone make enough of a difference that it is not worth it. I am glad I didn't tell anyone else.

A suggestion as to how to save money doesn't necessarily equl an assertion that you can't afford the full price option.

If I thought 2 items would give me the same outcome, I'd almost always choose the cheaper one.  Sometimes things don't need to be new to do that.

I'm not suggesting you should have taken her advice but just that she doesn't necessarily think you're poor just by suggesting it.

despedina

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »
An example of when I experienced something like this was when I married my DH. It was my 2nd marriage and we were in our mid 20s, I had a fairly good job and DH had an excellent job.  We were paying for our own wedding.

All the vendors treated us very well except for when it came to shopping for wedding dresses.  I went to several well known boutiques in the city and many would not help me or would ask me what my parents' budget was  :o.  When I said I was going to pay for the dress, several said they didn't have anything I could afford. I ended up walking out of several stores.  One store I had made an appt and when I entered the woman said she didn't feel they had anything in my price range OR size range.  I'm a size 16. So I was doubly insulted.

I had to go to a boutique in a more rural area that treated me wonderfully.  I made sure to review all the stores that treated me badly appropriately.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2014, 10:11:41 PM »
My ex and I walked into a furniture shop looking to buy a new mattress.  It took us forever to get the attention of a salesman  and by the time we finally did, he treated us like we were something he'd tracked in on his overly-shined shoes.  Never mind that I had $3000 IN CASH in my pocket that I was ready to spend right there.

We went to a different store and got excellent service AND a better deal.  I'll never shop at The Brick again for anything, that's sure.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2014, 09:15:42 AM »
My ex and I walked into a furniture shop looking to buy a new mattress.  It took us forever to get the attention of a salesman  and by the time we finally did, he treated us like we were something he'd tracked in on his overly-shined shoes.  Never mind that I had $3000 IN CASH in my pocket that I was ready to spend right there.

We went to a different store and got excellent service AND a better deal.  I'll never shop at The Brick again for anything, that's sure.

I have heard (and said) the bolded so many times.  And now that The Brick and Leon's are owned by the same parent company...  I'll be looking for a new place to buy furniture the next time I'm buying something.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »
My co-worker today.

DH and I took Mocha to the vet Saturday, because I thought she had a cold. A swab and test later, we had a bill for $$$, but that doesn't matter!

One of my nosiest co-workers said "that had to be expensive", and I replied that it was within my expected amount. I'm just glad she is getting better!

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »
Back in my previous life I had to apply for welfare.  That involved a home visit from a welfare worker.  At the time my then-boyfriend and I had a dog, a medium-sized shepherd-cross.  The worker, with disdain dripping in her voice, said "Does she cost a lot to feed?" I looked her straight in the eyes and said "No. Not much at all."  What I really wanted to say was "A lot less than a kid, (not e-hell approved word.)" 

Wintergreen

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2014, 02:28:24 AM »
Quite many places seem to fall for this. There is a hamburger place in my town (not fast food, but restaurant-type hamburger place). They have few places, good food and one location I refuse to use. That location used to serve younger customers quite poorly (or still might, I don't know). After all, why would I now, as I have regular work and more money, choose to spend it in a place that could not respect my spending at the time when that amount of money meant lot more to me.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »
An example of when I experienced something like this was when I married my DH. It was my 2nd marriage and we were in our mid 20s, I had a fairly good job and DH had an excellent job.  We were paying for our own wedding.

All the vendors treated us very well except for when it came to shopping for wedding dresses.  I went to several well known boutiques in the city and many would not help me or would ask me what my parents' budget was  :o.  When I said I was going to pay for the dress, several said they didn't have anything I could afford. I ended up walking out of several stores.  One store I had made an appt and when I entered the woman said she didn't feel they had anything in my price range OR size range.  I'm a size 16. So I was doubly insulted.

I had to go to a boutique in a more rural area that treated me wonderfully.  I made sure to review all the stores that treated me badly appropriately.

You might like the story about a twenty-something jeans-clad girl shopping in Paris, walking into the Chanel atellier (designer showroom) and a very snooty saleswoman greeting her with "Vous connais, mademoiselle, cette robes et tres, tres cher?" (You realize, young lady, these dresses are very, very expensive?)  She thanked the saleswoman, and left.  She went to the Yves St. Laurent atellier, where she was welcomed.  That is where the princess marrying into Belgian royalty(!) got her wedding dress. 

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2014, 12:08:17 AM »
My ex, for all his faults, was an excellent salesman.  He was always a top commission-earner at the electronics store where he worked and his trick was very simple.  He "ignored clothes".  He paid no mind to how people were dressed and took his cues from them about what they were willing to spend; and he always did well.  A lot of his fellow salesmen tended to ignore more roughly-dressed customers, whereas XBF did not and always did well because this is, well...oil country,  A lot of these "roughly-dressed" guys were workers who had just come off the rigs where they'd been working and not spending their earnings (in camp there is nothing to spend money on, and your accommodations and food are provided by the company) so they had substantial amounts of money burning holes in their pockets.  They wanted fancy computers and huge TVs and they wanted to buy it all right there.  XBF was always happy to sell them whatever they wanted to buy.
"After all this time?"
"Always."