Author Topic: I didn't expect that benefit  (Read 2737 times)

Coralreef

I didn't expect that benefit
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:19:52 AM »
As a rule, I try not to get worked up if unexpected delays occur.  Better for my blood pressure and mood, after all, if I have no control over it, why pitch a fit? 

I had to get a chair repaired, a small thing, but I couldn't do it myself.  So I bring the thing to the store and the repair guy is not in yet.  ETA, 20 to 30 minutes.  I tell the saleswoman that it's OK, that I understand that the chair is not under warranty anymore, that I agree with the quoted price and to go ahead with the repair.  I don't mind waiting, I'll browse the store and since it's nice outside, I'll take a little stroll. 

So, I come back to a repaired chair and a $10.00 discount on the repair because "You were nice and patient, so I'm giving you a discount." 

[/right

Momiitz

Re: I didn't expect that benefit
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 08:50:44 AM »
That's cool. I hope you made that workers day. Unfortunately is seems like polite customers are becoming a rare breed.  I try to do the same as you, don't sweat the small stuff and I'm always polite to shop / retail workers.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 12:14:54 PM »
Things like that just put a smile on my face. I know it's a Pollyanna worldview, but the world would be a better place if people were just generally nicer to each other, like this example.  ;D

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »
Something similar happened to me when I bought my A/C from Sears. they had two models, the prior year and the current one, which were both teh same, aside from price. older one was about $50 less. so i said if there's no real difference, i'll take the cheaper one, and arranged for delivery. twice it was scheduled, and then cancelled, and i suspeted that model was no longer available, even though it was still showing on their website

so i called the guy who sold it to me, and was going to ask him about it, and if it was no longer available, could I get the current model, at the price i paid. also, the older model online was now another $30 less. so before I could even ask, after explaining the situation he said he'd give me the newer model, at the current selling price for hte old one, which was about $80 less than it was showing!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »
Perfect timing for this thread! ;D

I just got back from the grocery store. They have a new set up at the deli counter and Deli Worker (DW) was having a difficult time trying to find items. Along with the new set-up, apparently, they have a new price-code system.

Deli Worker seemed to be a bit confused (she was the only one behind the counter) but she kept things on the lighter side by saying things like "Yippee! I found it!" or "I used to know this code like the back of my hand, I'm sorry, I have to look it up" but by the end of my order (I ordered 6 different items) she seemed to be getting a bit frazzled. I looked behind me and the line suddenly grew to about 8 people. Yikes! She's in for a bad day!

For my last order I asked for 1/4 pound of Xcheese. After she finally found Xcheese and took it to the cutting machine she, again, asked me how much I wanted.

Then another customer loudly asked DW "Is anybody else working here? I'm in a hurry!" DW apologized to the other customer, then looked at me and said "I'm sorry for having to ask again . . . how much did you need?" ::)

But I kept smiling, I was in no hurry and knew that DW was getting even more frazzled.

She started to slice my cheese, then another DW came in and asked her a few questions (she kept slicing as she talked) . . . I'll admit that my patients was beginning to wane a bit at this point, but I still kept smiling . . .

DW brought the huge stack of cheese to the scale, weight it out to more than 3/4 pounds, looked at me and with a very sad whimper said "You didn't want this much, did you?"

I laughed and said "No, I'm sorry, I just wanted 1/4 pound." A bit of quick commiserating with her ensued while she lifted off 1/2 pound of cheese from the scale with one hand, weighed and printed out the price sticker with the other hand . . . THEN, she gave me a wink as she put the rest of the cheese on the stack and bagged all of it.

DW thanked me for my patients and told me that I was the best customer she's had in a long time. I wished her good luck for the rest of the day (as grumbling customer was next in line)

So, yeah, it was only 1/2 pound of cheese, but the money aspect doesn't really matter. It's the feeling of making someone's day by being patient, kind, and polite that is the true benefit. ;D

KarenK

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 08:13:58 PM »
Years ago, the tires on my SUV were subject to a massive recall, as in every tire sold with my very popular vehicle had to be replaced. The procedure was that you called a tire store that carried that model, got on their list, and waited your turn. When I called, I told the gentleman that I could come anytime, because I worked at <hospital> and could come whenever they called.

He said that he had had a heart attack and we had saved his life at <hospital>, so I could come right down and he would take care of me. So I got my new tires sooner!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »
Just last week I was in line at a department store.  The cashier was taking a long time with a customer.  People in line were getting huffy and was snappish with the cashier when it was finally their turn.  Since I work with customers and know what it's like, I acted nice when my turn came.  The cashier asked if I have any coupons and when I said no, she whispered that she'll give me a discount anyway :D.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 11:04:37 PM »
I just remembered another one, although never got to take advantage. In March 1993 a huge snowstorm hit the east coast, shutting down every airport. My then BF and I were flying from NJ to GA to visit his parents. We managed to get out, as our flight was early, but were then diverted to Cincinnati, since there were no airports open. We ended up in a huge line, trying to re-book, and people were getting testy. MY BF was in line, and when he got up to the ticket agent, all he asked was that she get us on whatever flight she could, and that he understood if it wasn't today.

She was so grateful not to be yelled, cursed or otherwise berated, she got us on a later flight that day, and in first class! sadly, all flights were later cancelled, and we had to spend the night, but it just goes to show you get more flies with honey than vinegar!

lilfox

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 11:11:31 PM »
When I checked in on a recent flight at the self-check machine, I automatically bypassed all the upgrade for $$$ options.  But in the minute between getting my boarding passes printed out at the machine and walking my checked bag up to drop it off, I had second thoughts about my middle seat situation.

So, I asked the luggage checker if she could look into an upgrade and see if I could cover it with frequent flyer miles.  She put me in Economy Plus for free.   :)

DollyPond

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »
When I bought my house in 1997 it came with relatively new Andersen windows.  A few months ago I noticed that one of my windows is fogging between the panes.  I had no idea if the windows had a lifetime guarantee or not but called the 800 number for Andersen to get some information.  The very nice customer service rep asked me a lot of questions including giving her the code number on the window.  The number started with 91- and I'm assuming that meant that the window was made in 1991!

After collecting all of the information she said "OK we'll ship out a new window to you right away"  WOW!  I never expected that kind of service! :D :D

cwm

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 11:19:51 AM »
The funny - I was giving blood one time. I had been for a while, it was nothing new, and I'd never had a problem. This ONE time, though, for some reason I got dizzy. Well, they happened to have the cutest guy ever come sit with me to make sure I was okay. Trust me, it didn't help my breathing any, as shy as I was at the time. But it was really sweet.

The geeky - I carried around a Rainbow Dash pony (from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, got it stuffed at Build A Bear) when I was at a local convention. My anxiety was really high, and always when it was getting worse someone would come comment on my RD. I never expected my stuffed animal to comfort me by reminding me of the kindness of others. Though it is somewhat apropos, what with the show it's from and all...

The serious - I was buying fabric at a local crafts store. It was busy, but I waited patiently at the fabric counter. I needed a certain amount of yardage, but with what I was making, it didn't have to be all in one continuous piece. The guy working there and I made small talk while he measured my fabric. He kept apologizing for the wait time and I told him I was in no hurry. They had the yardage I needed, but it was broken into three pieces and it was the end of the bolt. (Actually it was an inch or two short, but I'm not too picky on that). The guy working the counter only rang up 2/3 of the fabric and still gave me the discount for the end of the bolt.

heartmug

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 01:12:09 PM »
I did that at a yard sale.  I was so tired of being talked down about the already low prices (I just wanted to get rid of the stuff that when a man came up to me, with his cute around 10 year old girl by his side, and ask about some brand new animal items I gave it to him for the discount.  He said so very nicely that his dd just got her first animal and needed this items but only had $16 dollars saved up not the $20 I was asking and "would it be at all possible for her to have it at that price?"  I turned to the girl and said "It always pays to ask nicely.  Give me $15 and keep one dollar for yourself."  That child was so happy!
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 01:41:01 PM »
I was selling books at a yardsale once.  I had them priced at 5/$1.  One woman came up and said most places sold them 10/$1.  She was just so snotty about it.  I finally gave them to her for 7/$1 and she asked for a plastic bag.  Then complained that the one I gave her had holes in the bottom.   ::)  There is just no pleasing some people.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 01:42:04 PM »
Having a friend that works retail, I've become even more aware of some of the carp people have to deal with in that position.  I've worked retail too but it's been a while and though I've never intentionally been rude to someone in customer service, I always try to keep in mind what someone might have been dealing with before I got to the register.

When we were looking around to price carpet for my oldest son's room, the company we went with decided to not charge us the tax, saying they'd 'eat' that.  Which saved us a good chunk of change in the long run.  We didn't expect that but sure appreciated it!

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 08:27:46 PM »
I was at DSW today, looking for a new pair of black pumps. I found the perfect pair, on clearance. I remembered I had a $10 off coupon but when I pulled it up, it was expired. The sales clerk noticed and gave me the discount anyway!

It was nice to get an $80 pair of shoes for $20. Things are a bit tight right now and every little bit helps.