Author Topic: I didn't expect that benefit  (Read 2759 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: I didn't expect that benefit
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 09:58:06 PM »
I was at DSW today, looking for a new pair of black pumps. I found the perfect pair, on clearance. I remembered I had a $10 off coupon but when I pulled it up, it was expired. The sales clerk noticed and gave me the discount anyway!

It was nice to get an $80 pair of shoes for $20. Things are a bit tight right now and every little bit helps.

I love DSW for that.  I have the picture of the receipt somewhere, but I saved over $300 on 4 pairs of shoes with coupons I didn't know I had.  My cashier noticed that I had a lot of activity on my account and thought is was weird that I only had a $10 coupon.  Lo and behold she found 2 more coupons and even though one was expired, she gave it to me anyway.

eta...found it!  And yes, I paid $10 per pair of shoes thanks to Super Awesome Cashier of Happiness
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:17:04 PM by PastryGoddess »

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 10:20:04 PM »
When I worked retail, I used to go the extra mile like that for people who were kind and polite and patient.  Their dogs always got the fancy bandannas at no charge when I was a dog groomer (supposed to be $6 each) and the nice customers always got first pick of my Christmas appointments as well (the ones EVERYONE wants). 

One time a gentleman came in with an opened, partially used bag of dog food.  He told me it was his regular brand that he always bought for his dog, but for some reason this batch had made her sick, and had the company made any changes to their formula, or was there a recall?  I was of course concerned, so I told him if he was willing to wait a few minutes, I'd be happy to get on the horn with the manufacturer and speak to them. (they are a local company we dealt with a lot so it really was no big deal for me to call them).  The store was dead as it was the evening lull.  The man waited patiently while I called the manufacturer, spoke to them, allowed the customer to speak with them and then once the conversation was over, I refunded him his money and gave him a different type of food at no charge. (both were things we weren't really supposed to do except in the most extreme circumstances, but the guy had been so calm and patient when he had every reason to be angry that I really wanted to do him a solid).

The next day he came in and bought a few small dog cookies.  I asked him if his dog was feeling better and he said she seemed to be back to her old self.  I said I was glad to hear it and I gave him a chew toy for her out of a bin of give-away promo stuff we'd gotten from a food rep.  He left, then came back with a cup and a bag from the Starbucks next door...he had gotten me a coffee and a piece of (delicious!) chocolate cake.  He told me he was very appreciative that I'd gone to so much trouble to help him sort out his dog's food issue and that he appreciated my genuine concern for his dog, and that he really felt I'd gone above and beyond for him and his dog. 
"After all this time?"
"Always."

I'mnotinsane

• My mother had me tested
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 11:16:39 PM »
I was at DSW today, looking for a new pair of black pumps. I found the perfect pair, on clearance. I remembered I had a $10 off coupon but when I pulled it up, it was expired. The sales clerk noticed and gave me the discount anyway!

It was nice to get an $80 pair of shoes for $20. Things are a bit tight right now and every little bit helps.

I had a coupon for DSW that expired this week.  I went there on the last day to use it and was talking to the cashier.  It is their policy to accept them expired or not so hang onto them.  I've thrown a few out because I either forgot to use them, just had been on a made shoe buying extravaganza, or couldn't find anything.  :'(

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 07:47:07 AM »
When I worked retail, I used to go the extra mile like that for people who were kind and polite and patient.  Their dogs always got the fancy bandannas at no charge when I was a dog groomer (supposed to be $6 each) and the nice customers always got first pick of my Christmas appointments as well (the ones EVERYONE wants). 

I will too, at my PT retail job. even though technically any and all promos say "not valid on prior purchases" and our policy is adjustments ONLY on full price items that have been marked down, and only within a specific time frame, we do have some leeway.  so if someone came in and spend several hundred dollars on clothes, then the next day we started 30% off the whole store, we can return it all and re-purchase for them, giving them the discount.

However, if you come in and demand that I do it, and are nasty to me, sorry, I'm going to follow policy to the letter. But if you're polite, and don't give me grief, sure, I'll be happy to help you out.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »
Last week, I was getting a couple of Take and Bake pizzas.  One is pretty basic and pre-made but the other one is a little more specialty and they make it up for me.

So I was waiting and they got into a bit of a rush and my crust burned (they par bake it).  They were very apologetic.  I said it was no biggie and decided to use the time spent making a new one to browse.  When I went to pick up attempt #2, they told me it was on the house.  I was very surprised and happy.   ;D 

When I got home and told my family, my FIL spouted off some nonsense about what he would have said (and it wasn't "Oh, that's okay, I can wait."  MIL then said, "And that's why you never get free stuff."  Hee!

cwm

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 01:02:43 PM »
I spent a long time in a very rural area doing some filming for something with some other people. Locals had a vague idea of it, but no specifics. I got back into town with my family and had to wait all day at the bar/restaurant next to the airport. (To give you an idea of how rural this was, the airport was passenger, freight, and mail, and the building was the same size as the bar next door.) When the owners of the restaurant heard where we had been, they discsounted our food and even gave us ice cream from their own personal stash for free.

On the same flight home (five connecting flights to get from there all the way home) we had a layover in Seattle. A guy on the plane had happened to hear us talking on the plane about how good it was to finally get back to civilization and talked with my dad on the flight. He was a massage therapist in Seattle (I believe) and gave us free massages in the airport terminal between flights. It was the middle of the night, none of us had slept well the night before, and we were looking at about twelve more hours of travel before we made it home. He said it sounded like we'd been through a lot (we had, actually) and wanted to make sure we felt our best before going back home to our families.