Author Topic: They should have opened already...  (Read 2452 times)

Green Bean

They should have opened already...
« on: June 15, 2013, 10:08:22 AM »
So I'm standing outside the doors of a store at an outlet mall. We are passing through headed somewhere, and I have something to return when I was in the area, which is very seldom. We gave been waiting for 20 minutes and according to the signs, they should have opened 5 minutes ago. Is it rude to knock?

I ask because this is not the first time this has happened and I'm sure it will happen again.

MrTango

Re: They should have opened already...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 10:11:02 AM »
Not at all.  If, according to the sign, they should be open, I'd most certainly knock.

And if they're a chain store, I'd probably send a complaint to corporate if they were more than 15 minutes late opening.

cwm

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 04:51:06 PM »
If they're late opening, it's not rude at all to knock. But when you get inside, check what the store clocks say. They may be 5 minutes slow, which would explain them opening late on a regular basis. Mention it to the manager if it's a regular thing, and if that doesn't do anything, I would mention it to corporate.

I wonder, though, you say you're seldom in the area. How do you know that this is an ongoing problem? Let's say you're at that store once every two or three months. I'd say a store opening 5 minutes late once every few months isn't a major problem, it's something that happens sometimes.

Also, do you wait outside the door that long every time you're in the area? I know that if I was on the floor of a store getting ready to open, I'd be less likely to open on time if I was alone on the floor because the manager was still counting out the drawers or in the back if I had seen someone standing outside for at least 15 minutes before the store was due to open. I'd risk making the customers wait five minutes versus having someone else on the floor just in case something were to happen.

Isometric

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 01:17:44 AM »
I'd give it at least ten minutes, unless you were in a hurry. If it was glass front, I would try to get the staff's attention rather than knocking. There may be genuine issues why they opened late, short staffed, safety issue etc. If you see them giggling or playing around, I would take my business elsewhere.

NyaChan

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 01:29:14 AM »
I would start taking the number with me and calling to see if they are planning on opening before I go and call again if I arrive and find that they are closed after all. That way you aren't waiting outside with no clue if there is even anyone inside.