General Etiquette > Family and Children

Mommy Wars

(1/6) > >>

artk2002:
I ran across this during my morning browse. Since the "mommy wars" show up all too frequently here, I thought that it might be good to see some people who have the right idea.

LeveeWoman:

--- Quote from: artk2002 on June 15, 2013, 10:28:45 AM ---I ran across this during my morning browse. Since the "mommy wars" show up all too frequently here, I thought that it might be good to see some people who have the right idea.

--- End quote ---

I found it amusing that some are carrying on the war over breastfeeding in a discussion about stopping the "mommy wars".

artk2002:

--- Quote from: LeveeWoman on June 15, 2013, 10:38:29 AM ---
--- Quote from: artk2002 on June 15, 2013, 10:28:45 AM ---I ran across this during my morning browse. Since the "mommy wars" show up all too frequently here, I thought that it might be good to see some people who have the right idea.

--- End quote ---

I found it amusing that some are carrying on the war over breastfeeding in a discussion about stopping the "mommy wars".

--- End quote ---

I ignore the comments threads on pretty much any news article. The more general the platform (like Yahoo), the dumber the comments get.

delabela:
I think those pictures are sweet.

You know, I always wonder if the whole idea of "mommy wars" is overblown.  My own experience is that mommies know everyone is doing their best, and appreciate how hard it is.  I have been lucky enough to have a large group of supportive mama friends, and the focus has always been on supporting each other and offering help.  I am one of the few who formula fed after 6 months, and I have never gotten any grief from anyone (and I live in a extremely pro-breast feeding area).  Actually, I never even encountered any judgment from strangers when feeding in public, whether I was breast feeding or bottle feeding. 

I think our kiddos benefit from happy, supported mamas.

artk2002:
Sadly, I don't think it's overblown, or if it is, not by much. Just read the threads in this forum.  Here's a recent one. Read the comments on that article (if you can stomach them); as LeveeWoman pointed out, they're debating breastfeeding on an article about ending the mommy wars.

No matter what the topic is, you're going to find people who believe that their way is The Only Way and feel bound and determined to make everyone else conform. It's particularly egregious when it comes to raising children because the stakes are apparently very high. No parent wants to fail their child and that gives the self-righteous ones a very big lever. I can brush off someone saying that I should have bought a Toyota instead of a Ford, but it's a lot harder to brush off someone saying that my choice is going to ruin my child's future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version