General Etiquette > Family and Children

Mommy Wars

<< < (2/6) > >>

delabela:
But I do think it's a very vocal minority that goes on the crusades - most people live and let live.  I also think there's something the media loves about "oh, look - women fight with each other and are catty!" that encourages the stories. 

citadelle:
I couldn't see comments on the article? Any tips?

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: artk2002 on June 15, 2013, 11:17:28 AM ---Sadly, I don't think it's overblown, or if it is, not by much. Just read the threads in this forum.  Here's a recent one. Read the comments on that article (if you can stomach them); as LeveeWoman pointed out, they're debating breastfeeding on an article about ending the mommy wars.

No matter what the topic is, you're going to find people who believe that their way is The Only Way and feel bound and determined to make everyone else conform. It's particularly egregious when it comes to raising children because the stakes are apparently very high. No parent wants to fail their child and that gives the self-righteous ones a very big lever. I can brush off someone saying that I should have bought a Toyota instead of a Ford, but it's a lot harder to brush off someone saying that my choice is going to ruin my child's future.

--- End quote ---

Just read the post you linked too. That's not mommy wars to me. That is just a rude bossy know it all.

TootsNYC:

--- Quote from: delabela on June 15, 2013, 11:23:34 AM ---But I do think it's a very vocal minority that goes on the crusades - most people live and let live.  I also think there's something the media loves about "oh, look - women fight with each other and are catty!" that encourages the stories.

--- End quote ---

For one thing, news is about unusual things or dramatic things. It's pretty boring to run stories about women who don't much care how other women are raising their children, and who instead simply wish them well, and feel confident they're all making the best possible choice.

LeveeWoman:
When it comes to "mommy wars", the only winning move is not to play.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version