Author Topic: Excuse me?!  (Read 8599 times)

veronaz

Re: Excuse me?!
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
I'm in the US.  I've never gotten an international call from a telemarketer and I don't know of anyone in the US who has.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never heard of it.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2013, 01:57:46 PM »
I'm in the US.  I've never gotten an international call from a telemarketer and I don't know of anyone in the US who has.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never heard of it.

Since I've only ever gotten international TM calls from the US and you're in the US, it would stand to reason that you've never gotten international calls ;)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

veronaz

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2013, 02:51:22 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "it would stand to reason"; People in the US receive calles from countries outside the US.  I'm just saying I don't know of anyone in the US who receives TM calls from another country.

In fact, I'm not sure how international calls (from anyplace) relates to the discussion.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 02:58:26 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "it would stand to reason"; People in the US receive calles from countries outside the US.  I'm just saying I don't know of anyone in the US who receives TM calls from another country.

In fact, I'm not sure how international calls (from anyplace) relates to the discussion.

Redsoil posted about it this morning.

Xandraea

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 03:08:26 PM »

Redsoil, in AU, gets telemarketer calls from the US. 
MariaE, in Denmark, gets telemarketer calls from the US.

I believe the point was, since all their international telemarketer calls come from the US, blocking international calls works for them.  Since the calls originate in the US, they wouldn't be international calls to those living in the US.  Therefore, it _does_ stand to reason that the same method wouldn't work for those in the US, as the calls aren't international to them.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 03:16:54 PM »

Redsoil, in AU, gets telemarketer calls from the US. 
MariaE, in Denmark, gets telemarketer calls from the US.

I believe the point was, since all their international telemarketer calls come from the US, blocking international calls works for them.  Since the calls originate in the US, they wouldn't be international calls to those living in the US.  Therefore, it _does_ stand to reason that the same method wouldn't work for those in the US, as the calls aren't international to them.

Thanks, Xandraea. That was exactly the point I was trying to make :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

veronaz

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2013, 03:30:58 PM »
Back to the original post, AARP is the American Association for Retired Persons.  RT (rude telemarketer Rhonda from AARP) and her fellow TMs don’t likely try to recruit members in other countries.

OP – FWIW, it’s my understanding that AARP can get pushy with their marketing techniques.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:32:46 PM by veronaz »

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
If you end up in the middle of the call, use a stock phrase to end the convo immediately and hang up.  "I can't talk right now, good day to you."  <click>

"I'm afraid you didn't hear me, I cannot speak right now.  Good bye."

This sends the wrong message.  It makes them feel it's okay to call at another time.

OP stated that she did want to respond to the survey. However, when they called, it was not a good time for her to do so.

So, what veronaz (and others) have posted does send the correct message, as in "call me back at a different time."

If OP said "Take me off of your calling list" she wouldn't be able to participate in this current survey or other upcoming surveys.

Telemarketing isn't always a bad thing.

edited to try and fix quotes.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:52:09 PM by jpcher »

kudeebee

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2013, 10:48:02 PM »
Don't spend so much time on the phone with the telemarketer.  When he/she starts in on their spiel "I am not interested." then hang up.  You do not owe them anything.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 11:24:24 PM »
Don't spend so much time on the phone with the telemarketer. When he/she starts in on their spiel "I am not interested." then hang up.  You do not owe them anything.

POD

The bolded is exactly what I do.

wyliefool

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »
Having an unlisted number cuts down on a lot of this stuff. and i must have checked off 'don't call me' on my CCs and banks because they don't call me unless they have a good reason. It's great.  8)

cwm

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2013, 03:43:11 PM »
I've had phone calls from plenty of telemarketers/scammers over the years. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. If I'm expecting a call from someone but don't know what number they'll be calling from (hospital, doctor's offices, bank offices don't always ring out from the same number you call in to) then I'm confident enough that they'll leave me a message, even if it's just identifying themselves and telling me to call them back. If they're trained not to leave a voicemail, then I'm probably not really wanting to talk to them. And if I get a voicemail from a machine, then I know I don't want to do business with them.

If I'm on the phone with someone and the call waiting signal starts going off, I'll tell my friend to hold on a moment while I checked the screen to see who was calling. And if I didn't recognize the number, I'd tell my friend to wait until the second call went to voicemail. There's no reason to answer it and disrupt the first call.

magicdomino

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »

I have.  It isn't obvious, but some telemarketers are based in the Caribbean, on islands like Jamaica where the phone numbers look like American numbers (XXX-XXX-XXXX). 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »
The Do Not Call list, in the US, does not cover charitable organizations. Nor does it include companies with which you have a "relationship." relationship in this context means you ordered something from their catalog, you filled out a form at a trade show, or in any way gave them your contact information within the past year or two.

In addition to the National Do Not Call list, most companies keep their own Do Not Call list. So when you get a call that you don't want repeated, you can tell them to put your number on their Do Not Call list, and they have to do so.

Exactly. It also does not cover research calls funded by municipalities and other agencies. The phone research centers buy a list of phone numbers 10-20 times the amount of responses they need.

Redsoil

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2013, 09:56:10 AM »
Which is why I said that I wasn't sure how it worked in other countries.  Here, in Australia, quite a large proportion of telemarketer calls come from overseas (India etc.)  That may or may not be the case in the US or other places.  I was simply saying that for any countries where this does apply, it may be useful to block international calls (if doing so doesn't block friends/family from calling), therefore cutting out a lot of telemarketer calls before they begin.  It's simply something which has worked well here. 

So, Veronaz, it may not apply where you are.  It may be useful info for others looking to minimise the impact of telemarketers.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!