Author Topic: Commenting on a post to someone else's FB wall  (Read 2456 times)

Allyson

Re: Commenting on a post to someone else's FB wall
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 03:21:57 AM »
Oh, wow, do I hate the trend of posting a message-to-one-person on their public wall! Private  message is there for a reason.  If I post an article to someone's wall, I am saying 'Hey Lucy, you might find this especially cool. other people, look too if it seems interesting!' It's not meant for a private discussion.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 12:43:11 PM »
I think you're right not to comment on the post.
He may be starting a conversation with people she knows, but really you aren't that close in real life, and getting into a debate (no matter how offensive) isn't really the right vibe.

If you felt incredibly strongly, and felt that anywhere in the world you needed to counter that offensive sort of thing, then I think you could, but I'd suggest being non-personal and non-inflammatory. And be prepared for fallout.

(I disagree w/ Sparksals on the idea that it's wrong of you to call my opinion, or the posts on my wall, offensive. Some things just are offensive. Even if people believe them. Even if they're hotly contested.) The thing is, "offensive" *IS* an individual opinion. However, it's a loaded word, so I wouldn't consider that term "non-inflammatory.")

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 12:51:11 PM »
I think you're right not to comment on the post.
He may be starting a conversation with people she knows, but really you aren't that close in real life, and getting into a debate (no matter how offensive) isn't really the right vibe.

If you felt incredibly strongly, and felt that anywhere in the world you needed to counter that offensive sort of thing, then I think you could, but I'd suggest being non-personal and non-inflammatory. And be prepared for fallout.

(I disagree w/ Sparksals on the idea that it's wrong of you to call my opinion, or the posts on my wall, offensive. Some things just are offensive. Even if people believe them. Even if they're hotly contested.) The thing is, "offensive" *IS* an individual opinion. However, it's a loaded word, so I wouldn't consider that term "non-inflammatory.")

I agree. Some things just are offensive. A racist remark, for example. If someone posts a bigoted remark to their own wall, I think it's fair game to call them out on their own wall. Yes, they have the legal right to say it, but that's not the same as a moral right to not get any pushback about it from private citizens.

I just wouldn't do it on the wall of a third party who I don't know very well.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »
Oh, wow, do I hate the trend of posting a message-to-one-person on their public wall! Private  message is there for a reason.  If I post an article to someone's wall, I am saying 'Hey Lucy, you might find this especially cool. other people, look too if it seems interesting!' It's not meant for a private discussion.

And that's fine if the people who comment on it are also friends with Lucy. But if they're not?  No, they shouldn't comment on it.  That's like following someone around and commenting on conversations they're having with someone you don't even know.

Zizi-K

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
How are you seeing what he posts on his wife's wall?  Are you also FB friends with her?

I don't think it matters if you find it offensive because others don't find it offensive.   People can post to their wall whatever they want.  I, personally, have strong feelings on a very hotbed issue in the US because of my personal experience with it.  I share posts to my wall frequently about this topic that I find on a few pages that post on my feed.  While those who disagree are certainly welcome to comment politely and respectfully, to come out and say what I post on MY wall is offensive is a bit much.  What I post isn't offensive.. it is a different opinion.  There is a difference... what you find offensive could be an opinion that differs from yours. 

If I see something on my feed posted by a friend with different X, Y or Z beliefs from mine, I just scroll past without commenting.

I am not friends with the wife, only the husband, and not 'close' friends. It shows up on my feed with his name, then an arrow, then her name all on the same line, then the comment and the link below.

The 'offensive' aspect was not in his comment to his wife, which was a positive comment directed to her in the vein of "Thanks for being such a great X!" Then the article was about "good Xing", which was quite offensive (to me, likely not to every last person) once you read it. It's the kind of thing that I would want to comment on and say, "Did you know this article includes statement A? This is actually not very good because of 1, 2, 3." But, as many have noted, it was posted to her wall, someone I don't know and have never met, and to me it feels like "butting in" to a conversation.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 02:49:06 PM »
How are you seeing what he posts on his wife's wall?  Are you also FB friends with her?

I don't think it matters if you find it offensive because others don't find it offensive.   People can post to their wall whatever they want.  I, personally, have strong feelings on a very hotbed issue in the US because of my personal experience with it.  I share posts to my wall frequently about this topic that I find on a few pages that post on my feed.  While those who disagree are certainly welcome to comment politely and respectfully, to come out and say what I post on MY wall is offensive is a bit much.  What I post isn't offensive.. it is a different opinion.  There is a difference... what you find offensive could be an opinion that differs from yours. 

If I see something on my feed posted by a friend with different X, Y or Z beliefs from mine, I just scroll past without commenting.

I am not friends with the wife, only the husband, and not 'close' friends. It shows up on my feed with his name, then an arrow, then her name all on the same line, then the comment and the link below.

The 'offensive' aspect was not in his comment to his wife, which was a positive comment directed to her in the vein of "Thanks for being such a great X!" Then the article was about "good Xing", which was quite offensive (to me, likely not to every last person) once you read it. It's the kind of thing that I would want to comment on and say, "Did you know this article includes statement A? This is actually not very good because of 1, 2, 3." But, as many have noted, it was posted to her wall, someone I don't know and have never met, and to me it feels like "butting in" to a conversation.

Likely you feel that way because it would be doing exactly that.

Now, if he'd posted it on his own wall or if you were friends with his wife, maybe you could get away with it.  But I would still be inclined to shy away from posting negative comments on any article posted on any wall except for my own, unless it's a situation where you know for sure that such comments and discussion are welcome.