A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

You find $1 million cash - What would YOU do?

(1/13) > >>

veronaz:
I watched a movie at friend’s house (it was good, “A Simple Plan” about the repercussions of several people finding a large amount of money and trying to keep it a secret.)

Anyway, we later discussed “what if” and the answers were interesting.

So, here’s the scenario (movie variables have been changed):

You’re alone, walking in a remote area, you see a large bag, look inside, and there is $1 million in cash.

What would YOU do?

Me?  I’d look around, and I’d be tempted to grab a wad and run.  ;D But then good sense would most likely prevail and I’d take it to the police.  Maybe it would be turned over to me later, maybe not.

Why?  Because I’d know it’s most likely dirty money waiting to be picked up, and it’s possible someone saw me.  Money from a robbery, ransom, murder-for-hire, or drug money.  Stealing from drug dealers? ……….um, no thanks.  Those people get really nasty.  I want all my limbs to stay where they are and I don’t want to live my life looking over my shoulder.

KenveeB:
I'd contact the police immediately. No way am I risking being caught with drug money or marked bills from a bank robbery! (Either by the police or by the bad guys.) But I'd be pushing every second to make sure it was released to me if they couldn't connect it to anything illegal. ;)

alkira6:

--- Quote from: KenveeB on June 15, 2013, 10:02:19 PM ---I'd contact the police immediately. No way am I risking being caught with drug money or marked bills from a bank robbery! (Either by the police or by the bad guys.) But I'd be pushing every second to make sure it was released to me if they couldn't connect it to anything illegal. ;)

--- End quote ---

You would be disappointed. It will always be connected to something illegal - all it takes is someone saying "It could be drug money" and you are out of the loop.  A significant portion of police operating budgets come from seized property, so there is no incentive to let it get claimed by the person who found it.

As for me, I would soooo do a duck and run.  Bad? Yeah. very.

rose red:
I would think I'm on a hidden TV show or it's stolen/drug money so I would turn it in. 

A $20 bill? I'd keep it.  $1 million? No thanks. Too out of the ordinary for me to feel safe.

ilrag:
I'd call my husband to help me pick it up and pay for everything in cash from then on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version