Author Topic: Neighbors and noise  (Read 2338 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Neighbors and noise
« on: June 16, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »
UGH. and its driving me nuts! BG: I live in an apt, and the way they're laid out, I'm on the second floor, sharing one common wall with the apt next to me, on the same floor, in the kitchen. Other than that, our apts go in the opposite direction; think you go up my stairs, and the apt is to the right, you go up theirs, and its to the left.  This is the 4th or 5th set of tenants who have lived in this apt, and until now, I never heard any noise, other than normal apt noise. end BG

First I would periodically something that sounded like the cabinets being slammed shut, and every once in a while, a sound like someone was pounding something on teh counter, like you'd do to flatten chicken or steak. when this happened, if i had any dishes in my sink, they would rattle.  But I could deal with that as it was only sporadically.

Lately though, the noise has increased, more banging, more pounding, and multiple times during the day. I'm figured they're cooking but it seems a bit overly excessive. I also asked my downstairs neighbor, who is below me, diagonal to them, so sharing no walls with them, and SHE can hear it too. She is home all day, and she thinks maybe they're cooking for something as she's seen them carry out what looks like quantities of food. 

There's also the issue that there seems to be four adults living in a 1BR apt, what i think is a couple, and then maybe one set of parents.  there's also a language barrier. I'm thinking maybe the parents are visiting, and as its halfway around the world where they are from, maybe staying for a prolonged visit.

I'm not really comfortable asking them directly as you never know how people will react, so I'm thinking of calling the office and a. asking if anyone else has complained about the noise, and b. asking if they can perhaps ask them to keep it down. I've also tried to get on video the noise, so I can show them how loud it really is. I'm also tempted to ask how many people are allowed to be in a 1BR apt as the noise didn't really escalate until the other two showed up.

Any other suggestions? I'm honestly afraid that with all the banging and vibrations, MY cabinet shelves will come crashing down someday!

NyaChan

Re: Neighbors and noise
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »
I think you are on track for now in questioning the occupancy limit and the noise levels to the office.  I would try to talk to them first though if at all possible - how bad is that language barrier? 

I am really curious as to what they are making, why they are carrying it out of the apartment, and why it only started now with the parents arrival.  Have they started a catering company for pounded meats and brought in mom and dad for their pounding expertise?  Are they doing kitchen renovations after relentless needling from the parents that their kitchen isn't nice enough?  siamesecat, you should go ask  ;D

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »
First, I would take about 5 days and document the noise--what it is, how loud it is (did you have to turn the TV up, could you carry on a conversation?) and any other effects--dishes rattling in cupboards, etc. If you can get a video, great, but writing down the times and how it affects you is also good.

Then just go to the management company and calmly explain that the noise level has increase and is affecting you. Mention that you are concerned things will fall of the walls or the cabinet shelves will fall down, it's that bad.

I would not mention the number of people in the apartment, nor would I ask if others have mentioned the noise. This first time, just present Management with the facts and ask them to do something about it.

Give it a week. If the noise hasn't stopped or lessened, go back to Management. If it gets worse, contact Management immediately. If it happens during office hours, call Management to come and hear for themselves. You may have to contact Management repeatedly to get results.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »
I think you are on track for now in questioning the occupancy limit and the noise levels to the office.  I would try to talk to them first though if at all possible - how bad is that language barrier? 

I am really curious as to what they are making, why they are carrying it out of the apartment, and why it only started now with the parents arrival.  Have they started a catering company for pounded meats and brought in mom and dad for their pounding expertise?  Are they doing kitchen renovations after relentless needling from the parents that their kitchen isn't nice enough?  siamesecat, you should go ask  ;D

I'm not really sure they speak any English at all; when the original couple first moved in, i tried to say hello, etc. and all I got was some nodding and smiling, which led me to believe they don't speak much, but I could be wrong.

I doubt they're doing any renovations, the complex handles all that, and its not consistent when it happens. As for the carrying out, i kind of take what my neighbor says with a grain of salt; while she's elderly, she's got all her marbles, but has been wrong about things before. If its simply cooking, they are doing a lot for just them, and the noises are the same, which leads me to believe they're doing the same thing over and over, and perhaps something they shouldn't be. And while i could care less if the parents are visiting and the occupancy is up, the extra noise they bring makes me want to question how many are allowed and I'm pretty sure its not more than 2 adults per bedroom!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 12:09:28 PM »
First, I would take about 5 days and document the noise--what it is, how loud it is (did you have to turn the TV up, could you carry on a conversation?) and any other effects--dishes rattling in cupboards, etc. If you can get a video, great, but writing down the times and how it affects you is also good.

Then just go to the management company and calmly explain that the noise level has increase and is affecting you. Mention that you are concerned things will fall of the walls or the cabinet shelves will fall down, it's that bad.

I would not mention the number of people in the apartment, nor would I ask if others have mentioned the noise. This first time, just present Management with the facts and ask them to do something about it.

Give it a week. If the noise hasn't stopped or lessened, go back to Management. If it gets worse, contact Management immediately. If it happens during office hours, call Management to come and hear for themselves. You may have to contact Management repeatedly to get results.

this is my plan; i've been keeping a log, but I'm really only home at night and on the weekends, sometimes, so I don't know what goes on when I'm at work during the day. I might ask my neighbor if she'd do the same, so if more than one person is noticing it, then its a problem. I figured the video might be helpful too.

Management here is good; if i simply go in and present the facts, she may volunteer if they've had other complaints. We had an issue when i first moved in, with some college kids living in an adjacent apt, having late night parties, and some of their guests vomiting in the bushes, adn so on. They took care of it quickly, and they were evicted, for that, and non-payment.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »
I agree with documenting. You might even use a sound app on your phone/tablet if you can. I use too loud in the classroom. While not something I would use for a science experiment, it can show the difference in no noise and their noise. Or video the kitchen when they are making noise. That way the landlord can see you are not doing anything to cause the loud noises in your apartment.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mikayla

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 02:27:16 PM »
Since you've lived there long enough to go through several iterations of neighbors, I'd think you have a very good sense of what constitutes normal noise, and what doesn't.  Normally, I'd say try to talk to them first, and there's nothing wrong with asking if any of them speak English.

But because of the language barrier and possible concerns about too many people in a one bedroom, I'd go to management. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 08:46:29 PM »
I agree with documenting. You might even use a sound app on your phone/tablet if you can. I use too loud in the classroom. While not something I would use for a science experiment, it can show the difference in no noise and their noise. Or video the kitchen when they are making noise. That way the landlord can see you are not doing anything to cause the loud noises in your apartment.

I'll have to try this, thank you! what drives me up the wall is i can't figure out exactly what they're doing in the kitchen, on and off, all day.

Minmom3

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 02:23:32 AM »
If there is loud banging, could it possibly be a cleaver on a cutting board.  Those can make quite a thump.  And if they ARE using a cleaver to chop things up, it would be a repetitive thumping, over and over again.  Just a thought that occurred to me!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
If there is loud banging, could it possibly be a cleaver on a cutting board.  Those can make quite a thump.  And if they ARE using a cleaver to chop things up, it would be a repetitive thumping, over and over again.  Just a thought that occurred to me!

That thought had occured to me as well. What I don't get is the amount of cleavreing (if that's what it is) they're doing on a daily basis.

NyaChan

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 10:42:12 AM »
Man, they must have awesome arm muscles.

Minmom3

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 02:39:27 PM »

That thought had occured to me as well. What I don't get is the amount of cleavreing (if that's what it is) they're doing on a daily basis.

If they purchase whole poultry, using a cleaver to part them out is an excellent method (if you have the skills, which I do not)  But I knew a lot of people who used them when I was young, and they DID use them every day, and it was loud.  I'd watch in awe of their skills, because when my mom parted a chicken, there was the thin knife levered in between the joints, and wrestling and twisting, and it wasn't pretty, and it took a while.  While THESE people - they'd get out a HUGE cutting board that was more like a smaller butcher block (so, also something we didn't have at home) - and lay the bird on the block, and whack, whack, whack - done!  More whacks than that, of course, but far faster than my mother could do it, and the noise was part of what made it so impressive to my young self.  The ones I got to watch most often was the family of my babysitter.  We lived in a Chinese neighborhood in San Francisco and I had a Chinese babysitter, so I got to watch all kinds of food prep on things that NEVER crossed our doorstep, using methods that MY family didn't do, and the food looked different and smelled different and tasted different.  It was fascinating.  And yes, there would be considerable arm strength involved, as a good cleaver is not a lightweight item, and must be used with strength and good aim and confidence.  A cleaver is not for the faint of heart or the dainty!   ;)
Mother to children and fuzz butts....