General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Blank Emails

<< < (2/7) > >>

cicero:
We do this at work, especially if person A needs to get a message to person B while one or the other ( or both) are in as meeting. I never thought of it as rude, rather as ''efficient''

NyaChan:

--- Quote from: cicero on June 16, 2013, 02:34:00 PM ---We do this at work, especially if person A needs to get a message to person B while one or the other ( or both) are in as meeting. I never thought of it as rude, rather as ''efficient''

--- End quote ---

But how are they sending a message if the email is blank, no subject, no content?

Tea Drinker:
I've gotten occasional blank emails, mostly from people who didn't seem entirely familiar with how email worked: they seem to be entering mental "To: Tea Drinker", then typing a short message in the next line, hitting "send," then OK when the software asks whether they want to send a blank message.

I sometimes do a variant on that, with "Subject: Here's the proofread version of $document" and then no message content except the attachment. It seems reasonable as part of an ongoing discussion: if I send that, there will have been a previous email about "Dear Tea Drinker, Can you get this back to me by Wednesday" or an IM "I found those photos, do you want a scanned copy?"

If I got an entirely blank message, with neither subject nor message body, I would assume either a glitch or (if there was an attachment) spam or phishing, and delete it. It wouldn't serve as a reminder, where "Hi, Tea Drinker, see you for lunch tomorrow at 12:30" works as a reminder if we've already made plans. I'd rather have it in email than as a text message.

MariaE:

--- Quote from: NyaChan on June 16, 2013, 03:13:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: cicero on June 16, 2013, 02:34:00 PM ---We do this at work, especially if person A needs to get a message to person B while one or the other ( or both) are in as meeting. I never thought of it as rude, rather as ''efficient''

--- End quote ---

But how are they sending a message if the email is blank, no subject, no content?

--- End quote ---

I think the OP said that the email had a subject - it was just the body that was empty.

I think this is a "know your audience" kind of thing. We do it at work all the time.
"I'll be a bit late. EOM"
"The deploy has completed successfully. EOM"
"I've rebooted the server. EOM"
...etc.
And nobody thinks that's rude. It's just efficient.

However, I would never do it to a client or as such an abrupt reminder as in the OP. That does strike me as rude.

NyaChan:
Ohhh that makes so much more sense! LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version