Author Topic: S/O Hair Stylist Dilemma  (Read 1552 times)

hannahmollysmom

S/O Hair Stylist Dilemma
« on: June 17, 2013, 02:33:03 AM »
I have been going to the same stylist for over 30 years. She is now in early 60's and I don't think she is as up to date as I would like. I would love to try going somewhere else.

My dilemma: She is an old friend, in fact she was my Maid of Honor in 1985. So, you can see where this is going. I imagine I will just keep going to her until she retires, whenever that may be.

Help!

katycoo

Re: S/O Hair Stylist Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 03:17:13 AM »
Have you tried showing her pictures of something you want and asking if sheknows how to do it?  I'm sure if she's an honest person, if she thinks a style is out of her reach she'll refer you elsewhere for the cut.

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 03:34:18 AM »
I have showed her what I want, but it just doesn't come out the same. Very frustrating at times!

katycoo

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 04:09:19 AM »
Have you pointed out to her that its not the same as the picture?

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 05:49:07 AM »
She may not be able to follow a photo. Can you get your hair cut elsewhere one time ( make it a special, spur of the moment idea, such as 'I was in ny and my sister booked a whole spa day for us!') . then mention how much you enjoy the new look and could she follow the same lines?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

perpetua

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 05:52:03 AM »
How is it not coming out the same? It could be that your hair type won't hold the kind of cut you're showing her a picture of (which of course she should be able to advise you of).

hannahmollysmom

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 01:50:39 PM »
I just find she's become very conservative.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 02:35:29 PM »
I had a similar issue with the guy who used to do my hair. I think I started going to him around age 9, and he did my mom, and every now and then, my grandmother. I moved away and it wasn't convenient for me to go there (limited and no evening hours) but I still did. I dont like change.  He was a lovely man, but a bit behind the times. He still did highlights with teh plastic cap, not foils.

I kind of realized my hair wasn't quite how i wanted it, and decided to find someone closer to home, which I did. I have to say I didn't handle it well, as I just stopped going (my mom was no longer in the area, so no awkwardness there).  Sadly, I just found out he passed away from an accidental fall last Nov.

I'm not sure how you could phrase it, since you are friends, unless you're just honest with her, and maybe say you feel like you need a change, and while she's done a good job all these years, you're ready to try sometning new.

katycoo

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 12:20:32 AM »
I had a similar issue with the guy who used to do my hair. I think I started going to him around age 9, and he did my mom, and every now and then, my grandmother. I moved away and it wasn't convenient for me to go there (limited and no evening hours) but I still did. I dont like change.  He was a lovely man, but a bit behind the times. He still did highlights with teh plastic cap, not foils.

O/T - a streaking cap produces a completely different look than foils.  Many hairdressers offer both.

Library Dragon

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 12:55:24 AM »
I have showed her what I want, but it just doesn't come out the same. Very frustrating at times!

This is frustrating. I have a friend who I tried to go to.  She teaches on education cruises for a big name stylist.  I tried to use her services, but she is emotionally unable to give me what I want.  I want edgy not fluffy. Her salon is a 40 min drive, so I was able to move to another stylist due to lack of time in my work day. 

Is there a practical reason that would allow you to maintain the personal relationship while severing the professional relationship?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter