General Etiquette > Life...in general

Disclosing vegan menu to guests?

(1/31) > >>

LadyL:
LordL and I are finalizing the details with our potential wedding caterer. We picked them because their food is delicious and award winning. They also happen to be entirely vegan. We are not vegan or vegetarian, but part of their mission is to make food that is tasty and satisfying for non-vegans, and they definitely succeed in that regard.

Here is my question: I remember one of my relatives complaining about being at an Indian wedding where all the food was vegetarian, and how he didn't find it satisfying. I can think of a few relatives who love having something to complain about who might take issue with a vegan caterer due to misconceptions. Is there anything wrong with simply failing to mention in advance that the food will be vegan? So far we've chosen not to - when asked we've focused instead on the style of the food (they have a strong Asian fusion influence).

If we include a place to select entrées in advance on the save the dates, should we list the food as "basil pesto tofu with cashews" or just "basil pesto entrée with cashews?" Is either fine? We are going to specify which entrées are gluten free, spicy, etc. but I'm not aware of any dietary restrictions for tofu or seitan (maybe people who need to limit their soy for some reason?). We were thinking of including a separate line for people to list food restrictions to cover that angle.

I have definitely learned and accepted that you can't please everyone, but I also would rather avoid eye rolling comments about "rabbit food" leading up to the wedding. Thoughts?

Wulfie:
I would let people know that it is tofu.  I know of at least 2 people who get violently ill from tofu and my dad has to watch it because of his blood pressure. For some reason, his blood pressure skyrockets if he has tofu, which stinks because he LOVES tofu corn dogs!

Eden:
Hmmm, I don't think you have any requirement to advise people that they menu is vegan, however if I were selecting my choice, I'd find "basil pesto entrée with cashews" to be oddly vague. Is it chicken? Is it fish? So I vote for listing the protein source. I think you're between a rock and a hard place. Be vague and have confused guests, or be specific and potentially have to listen to unwanted comments.

I do like the idea of a separate line for people to list food restrictions.

amylouky:

--- Quote from: Wulfie on June 17, 2013, 11:12:50 AM ---I would let people know that it is tofu.  I know of at least 2 people who get violently ill from tofu and my dad has to watch it because of his blood pressure. For some reason, his blood pressure skyrockets if he has tofu, which stinks because he LOVES tofu corn dogs!

--- End quote ---

POD. I'm not supposed to have tofu/soy, because I had an estrogen-fed cancer and soy has estrogen.
I don't always stick to that but if I did I would need to know.

Outdoor Girl:
I would want to know.  I don't generally eat soy products and I avoid overly processed foods, which meat substitutes tend to be.  I have no problem with veg*an food and would eat it happily but not if it contains soy/meat substitutes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version