Author Topic: Disclosing vegan menu to guests?  (Read 14243 times)

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
Re: Disclosing vegan menu to guests?
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback and ideas! I had no idea how prevalent soy allergies were. I checked the menu that the caterer sent for us to choose from, and there are 6 entrée options that don't have soy, and a few that don't have either soy or nuts - they seem very conscientious about accommodating allergies and intolerances so I'm sure they will be able to prepare a variety of options.

We are also going to put a link to their menu on our wedding website, so anyone with complex food issues can take a look in advance if they so choose.

I agree with others that labelling the ingredients but not calling it vegan makes the most sense. So no "vegan pizza" but instead "flax crust pizza with cashew cheese." I am already designing cute little signs for the buffet in my head :).

I think this sound like a great plan.  I'm a picky eater (no allergies, just aversions) and I would very much appreciate the info in advance.  Flax crust pizza with cashew cheese sounds delicious and gives more info than vegan pizza!

ilrag

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2013, 04:43:22 PM »
Please label all "non-mainstream" ingredients such as flax. Personally I carry an Epi pen due to my flax reactions, but I don't normally look for it at weddings.

(I doubt it's a very common allergy but you never know)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »
My sisters and I are soy sensitive and will have a reaction if we have too much. That said, a dinner of stir-fried vegetables with jasmine rice is one of my favorites.

Have a lovely wedding, LadyL!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2013, 04:58:43 PM »
I don't think every ingredient (common or uncommon) need to be listed.  The OP can ask a general question about allergies on the invitation, but don't need to go further than that. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2013, 05:07:06 PM »
I like your idea of providing information and a link to the menu. For catered events -  I generally call the caterer directly and ask them about the food. If you don't live day to day with a food allergy you don't get all the places an allergen can "hide". There are small turns of a phrase that set off alarm bells, while a slightly different phrase means something is probably safe.

One thing about nuts in a food. I don't eat any commercial food with any nuts in it, because they might have been shelled in a factory that also contains peanuts. I love pecans - but only eat the ones I shell myself. For other things there are only certain brand I trust.

That said it is my responsibility not my host's responsibility to figure this complex web of information out.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Seraphine1

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2013, 05:22:02 PM »

I agree with others that labelling the ingredients but not calling it vegan makes the most sense. So no "vegan pizza" but instead "flax crust pizza with cashew cheese." I am already designing cute little signs for the buffet in my head :).

As someone allergic to nuts and tree fruit, this menu item is making me itch.

I've had two anaphylactic reactions in the past decade.  Both were in vegetarian restaurants.  I just can't find safe food in them due to my issues, yet I wouldn't expect the average wedding banquet to kill me.  Count me in as one of the people on this thread who would really like a heads-up that the menu isn't quite average wedding fare.  I would probably have to eat beforehand.

Forgive me for being so curious, but I am... if you aren't vegan or even vegetarian, what was the draw to this particular caterer?  Sorry, you already answered this in your first paragraph - forgive me for missing it the first time.

minky

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2013, 07:47:38 PM »
I'm not aware of any dietary restrictions for tofu or seitan (maybe people who need to limit their soy for some reason?). We were thinking of including a separate line for people to list food restrictions to cover that angle.

Seitan isn't soy-based, it's made out of wheat gluten, so your gluten-intolerant guests will need to know.

sweetonsno

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »
I agree with the general consensus that you should make sure your guests know what is in the food. However, I see no reason to "advertise" that everything is vegan. A lot of people find restriction-friendly food off-putting on principle. Focus on what is in the food rather than what is not.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2013, 08:02:54 PM »
Somebody mentioned the reaction they notice from people when regular peanut butter and jelly is specifically termed as vegetarian peanut butter and jelly. If somebody referred to regulat old Jif and Welch's Grape Jelly they might get a strange reaction from me, not because I felt like there was something wrong with the sandwich but because going out of the way to use the term "vegetarian" would make be a bit wary.  I would wonder what point they felt they had to prove or what agenda they wanted to promote.

Isometric

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2013, 08:53:06 PM »
Yum, can I please come to your wedding?!

I agree to downplay the "vegan" part. Unfortunately it still has a stigma attached. In come countries Oreos are vegan*, but most meat eaters would rather eat an Oreo, rather than a "vegan" Oreo, even though they're the same thing.

I don't know if it's done it the US, but most reply cards here include a space to note allergies, could you do that to avoid the soy/gluten issues?

*(ingredient wise anyway - not accounting for any ethical/other issues some may have with manufacturing line etc)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2013, 08:57:35 PM »
I love vegetarian and vegan food, but I would make certain that the caterers will be providing some soy free options, based on the responses here. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

drafter_lady

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2013, 09:51:53 PM »
You don't need to advertise in big glittery letters that it's vegan but you do need to tell people what it is so that they can make an informed opinion as to what they want. Just list it on the card the same way that the caterer lists it on their menu. If anyone has any questions, they can ask you.

You are over thinking.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2013, 10:18:16 PM »
Somebody mentioned the reaction they notice from people when regular peanut butter and jelly is specifically termed as vegetarian peanut butter and jelly. If somebody referred to regulat old Jif and Welch's Grape Jelly they might get a strange reaction from me, not because I felt like there was something wrong with the sandwich but because going out of the way to use the term "vegetarian" would make be a bit wary.  I would wonder what point they felt they had to prove or what agenda they wanted to promote.

Speaking as a non-vegetarian here -

I know that vegetarians pay more attention to what's in their food than I do.  I enjoy being able to just buy what tastes good and not worry about what exactly is in it.  Because of that, when someone specifies "vegetarian grilled cheese" or "vegetarian PB & J," I don't know if that's the "normal" kind or whether there's some weird non-vegetarian element of my "normal" sandwich.  I tend to assume that if a "normal" grilled cheese was vegetarian they wouldn't need to specify, though, so it stands to reason a "vegetarian" grilled cheese probably has some strange-to-me substitutions, like vegan cheese or lard-free bread or whatnot.  I don't know - I'm not usually keeping that close an eye on the source of the ingredients  :)  So if people seem a bit wary about perfectly normal food being labeled "vegetarian," that's why.  I'd probably avoid "100% guaranteed asbestos-free!" breakfast cereal as well, on the same principle  ;D

That said, LadyL, I would encourage you to include at least a few "normal" (to omnivores) menu items along with the more unusual ones.  It's hard to judge whether you'll like completely new-to-you items like flax crust or cashew cheese, and (depending on the environment) it could be awkward for people to commit to an entree only to find out they don't like the vegan substitutions for whatever ingredients they're used to.  Hopefully the inclusion of things like "normal" fruit salad, etc. will help your anti-vegan friends and relatives from feeling too out of their depth.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2013, 11:17:37 PM »
In general, I think it's considerate to disclose any details to guests that might depart from "the norm" (for weddings in your region / social circle), just so they can prepare themselves if necessary. This could include the fact that you'll be having different food, or requiring your single guests to play balloon popping games, or holding your ceremony in a graveyard, etc.

caroled

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2013, 12:38:32 AM »
I'm not aware of any dietary restrictions for tofu or seitan (maybe people who need to limit their soy for some reason?). We were thinking of including a separate line for people to list food restrictions to cover that angle.

Seitan isn't soy-based, it's made out of wheat gluten, so your gluten-intolerant guests will need to know.

One other thing I haven't seen mentioned yet... most soy sauce is not made of soy ( as originally) but is now made with wheat. Since it is an Asian fusion menu please keep in mind that people with celiac  will not be able to consume things made with soy sauce ( as well as the seitan).

However there are some really good brands of soy sauce  (San J brand) that are certified gluten free. I would contact caterer and have them use the GF type in all the dishes where soy sauce us warrented.