Author Topic: Disclosing vegan menu to guests?  (Read 13628 times)

thedudeabides

Re: Disclosing vegan menu to guests?
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2013, 10:20:07 AM »
I think that when you're using a meat substitute, you owe it to the people eating to let them know what's being substituted.  Just like you wouldn't surprise someone with, say, venison in place of beef, you shouldn't really sneak in tofu in place of chicken.

If LadyL and LordL were full-time vegans, I'd say that guests would be forewarned that the meal was likely to include no meat or to use meat substitutes.  But they aren't, so a heads up to their guests would be polite so that everyone knows what to expect, because vegan food can be delicious, but the textures and flavors can come across as "off" in some dishes that are made to mimic non-vegan classics.

lowspark

« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2013, 10:27:35 AM »
Are there really people for whom it would be a true hardship not to eat meat at every meal? If so, then yeah, I'd think they want to carry something like beef jerky with them just in case. If it's just a strong preference then surely they can suck it up and do without meat for one meal.

I agree with those who say vegan isn't mainstream. What I can't agree with is the idea that people have to be warned simply because it isn't mainstream.

Isn't there always at least some possibility that you won't like the food at a wedding reception? And isn't it SOP that the bride and groom pick out dishes they like for their reception? That's why the venue or caterer has the B&G do a tasting beforehand. The HC picks out dishes they like because certainly they can't predict the perfect dish that every single one of their guests will like.

But again, this is off track. The original question was not whether the guests should be forewarned of the menu. That issue has already been resolved as the Ls are posting the menu & caterer information on their wedding website. The original question was, do they need to use the word vegan?

And again I'll say, my answer to that question is No.

thedudeabides

« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2013, 10:34:50 AM »
I humbly apologize for not answering the original question and only the original question.  Please do forgive me.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2013, 10:35:35 AM »
Are there really people for whom it would be a true hardship not to eat meat at every meal? If so, then yeah, I'd think they want to carry something like beef jerky with them just in case. If it's just a strong preference then surely they can suck it up and do without meat for one meal.

Just a note that there is a VERY big difference between vegetarianism and vegan.  I could easily eat a vegetarian meal, but considering I can't (or shouldn't at least) eat beans and most veggies don't agree with me, I would absolutely want to know in advance.  But then I'm actually one of those people that DID list a choice of three meal choices on the RSVP card and asked guests to check one so I knew how much of each to tell the caterer to make.

thedudeabides

« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »
Do they need to use the word vegan?  Technically, there are very few things in this world that one needs to do when it comes to weddings.  Would it make the most sense and most easily convey what they're trying to get across in terms of general ideas about the ingredients likely to be in their food?  Yes.  But it's not a situation into which I can really see etiquette playing.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2013, 10:43:10 AM »
I wouldn't really care if I went to a vegan wedding reception. I can deal with one meal I don't like. But I would ask to be forewarned that something is not what I am expecting. So seeing a pizza with no note and then discovering it was cashew cheese would be an issue - because it is not what I am expecting when I bite in! Seeing a note saying "cashew cheese pizza" would make me wonder what it tastes like and I would try it and possibly enjoy it (not a big nut fan so don't know if I could handle an entire slice but i wouldn't mind a taste). So that would be the only suggestion I have - make sure that if something looks like food a (or usually is food a) and is really food b label it so everyone knows it is really food b.

menley

« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »
I wouldn't really care if I went to a vegan wedding reception. I can deal with one meal I don't like. But I would ask to be forewarned that something is not what I am expecting. So seeing a pizza with no note and then discovering it was cashew cheese would be an issue - because it is not what I am expecting when I bite in! Seeing a note saying "cashew cheese pizza" would make me wonder what it tastes like and I would try it and possibly enjoy it (not a big nut fan so don't know if I could handle an entire slice but i wouldn't mind a taste). So that would be the only suggestion I have - make sure that if something looks like food a (or usually is food a) and is really food b label it so everyone knows it is really food b.

Re: the bolded: exactly. It can be wonderful, and something you might like, but the "surprise" factor might overcome the enjoyment. It's like when I've ordered Sprite and the waiter accidentally brought water instead. The water obviously isn't bad, but when I tasted it, I was expecting Sprite, so I was really confused and almost spit it out!

POF

« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »
If we include a place to select entrées in advance on the save the dates, should we list the food as "basil pesto tofu with cashews" or just "basil pesto entrée with cashews?"

I have been following this with much interest. I like vegan food, I like real food - but I really hate tofu and I can't eat soy. So .... to answer this question:

Yes - you should disclose that the main dish is basil pesto tofu with cashews. I think saying "entree" instead of tofu would be misleading - and for me in an unpleasant way.

I also think that there should be an option that doesn't include tofu or a meat substitute.  heck 2 nights a week, I eat pasta with homemade marina sauce with steamed veggies ( vegan ) and a
stirfry with brown rice and nuts and veggies ( also vegan ).

I have no problem at all with meat free - in fact I like it - but faux meat is not something I would ever eat.

I think it sounds delightful, but if you are asking for an entree selection - then I think you need to disclose the maoin protein / carb source.

If ti is a buffet - I wouldn't worry

kudeebee

« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2013, 02:21:13 PM »
Yes someone who is picky about "standard for the region food" should be prepared- but if its a completely unexpected menu for both the area and the known tastes of the couple, I am afraid that blind-siding the OPs guests may not have the intended result she is looking for.

POD

If the menu is so different from the norm in your area or for your family, I think it is wise to offer a link to the caterer or talk about the menu on your website or include some details on a response card.

Allyson

« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2013, 02:44:05 AM »
I am pretty sure that LadyL has got the point about not disguising what's in the entree, and isn't going to do that? She said she wasn't aware before how many people had soy allergies/dislikes, but that has been rectified so she's planning on giving short descriptions of each entree, which I think is a great idea! Someone who was really bent on 'meat at every meal' could take a look, see no meat, and eat before, but those who might have a prejudice against the word vegan might see something they like the look of, without associating it with vegan-ness. I definitely understand the concern about people complaining because of the word vegan/vegetarian used, when they might eat the meal happily normally. So I think since she is going to disclose the entree options, there's no issue.

I am a meat eater and would love to try this menu! My roommates had a vegan Christmas once and it was amazingly good.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2013, 11:27:17 AM »
I also wouldn't use the word vegan just because simply many people don't really know what it means!  I was even watching Masterchef the other day and they had to make a vegan lasagna. One of the contestants suggested a creamy sauce until another contestant reminder her it was a vegan lasagna not vegetarian and a cream sauce was going to be hard to do and went with tomato instead (I'm sure it is possible to do some type of creamy vegan sauce but I would have no idea about how either).

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2013, 12:08:30 PM »
I also wouldn't use the word vegan just because simply many people don't really know what it means!  I was even watching Masterchef the other day and they had to make a vegan lasagna. One of the contestants suggested a creamy sauce until another contestant reminder her it was a vegan lasagna not vegetarian and a cream sauce was going to be hard to do and went with tomato instead (I'm sure it is possible to do some type of creamy vegan sauce but I would have no idea about how either).

Creamy sauce would be made with cashews that have been pureed or some type of soy milk, silken tofu etc.  No actual cream/or form of dairy would be used at all.  So while I wouldn't care if the word Vegan itself was used but I would like to know it isn't a "real" cream sauce and it's cashew based/soy based etc.  I have many a vegan sauces (and love them) but they are not even remotely like a real cream sauce.  But they are delicious in their own way.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2013, 12:44:45 PM »

Creamy sauce would be made with cashews that have been pureed or some type of soy milk, silken tofu etc.  No actual cream/or form of dairy would be used at all.  So while I wouldn't care if the word Vegan itself was used but I would like to know it isn't a "real" cream sauce and it's cashew based/soy based etc.  I have many a vegan sauces (and love them) but they are not even remotely like a real cream sauce.  But they are delicious in their own way.

Yeah, see I knew there must be a way. :)  But the contestant clearly wasn't even thinking about something like that b/c once he  reminded her it was vegan lasagna she dropped it.  I've seen lots of people even in this thread only bringing up the "missing meat" issue.

Possum

« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2013, 04:39:37 PM »
I can't eat vegan/vegetarian for the most part, because many vegetables do not like me, and of those that do, I rarely like them.  (It's dismal.)  Plus I really, really, really like my dairy and meat. :D

So a head's up would be appreciated, just so I can know I should eat a big lunch or pack a snack for the ride home.  Same thing if you plan on an all-seafood menu, or an all-spicy one.  Those are things people frequently can't tolerate or don't enjoy, so head's up so they can eat well beforehand would be kind.   Not to mention it would also go far to making sure your guests don't feel "surprised," too.  When you're starving and sit down expecting chicken or steak, and instead you get vegetables and a fruit cup, just the surprise of it can make you a bit grumpy! 

kckgirl

« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2013, 07:37:48 PM »
I once paid to attend an event at which my food choices were potato chips, the veggie tray, and cake for dessert. Every other item on the menu was a mayonnaise-based salad/sandwich of some sort. Due to childhood allergies and problems with getting hives from food with mayo in/on it, I never learned to like and still avoid potato salad, macaroni salad, meat salads, etc. When you've suffered from something, you have a very strong aversion to it. I don't think the hostess/event organizer meant for it to turn out that way, and I never said anything to her about it, but I never attended again. I would want to know so I could plan ahead to eat before the wedding and/or bring something to stave off hunger before I left.
Maryland