Author Topic: Another food question  (Read 2336 times)

Jloreli

Re: Another food question
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 04:08:37 PM »
Worst: A college friend's wedding where they drastically over stuffed the hall so you could barely move. Service was family style so periodically a tray of something would be brought to the table....
soup: canned chicken and stars soup
salad: a tray of iceberg with half an anemic tomato, a couple of strips of ham and turkey and a few pieces of swiss.....drowned in oily dressing
main: roast chicken...dessicated to near leather.....cold rubbery fries....ziti with plain tomato sauce...not one speck of seasoning.
cake: vanilla and chocolate layers but the frosting *shudder* seemed to be shortening with granulated sugar in it....greasy AND gritty

Best: Another college friend
passed apps....cheeses, fruits, hot nibbles
loooooong buffet of salads, veggies, potato, pastas and fresh fish along with carved prime rib and turkey
assorted pastries and a huge wedding cake that had several flavors....each one better than the last
free flowing champagne! So good that we asked what vineyard was as we were planning our....fearing it would be $$$...pleasantly  surprised to find it was highly affordable so we bought 2 cases for our wedding (which also had great food.....our focus was on feeding our guests well and providing them with plenty to drink)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »
Worst:  The cheapskate ex's which was appetizers only.  Most were supposed to be finger food but were messy as all get-out and no utensils were available.  Guests were in cocktail dress, not jeans and T-shirts.

Best:  Daughter of some old friends was married in a hotel located near a culinary school. 

Upon arrival:  Freshly-baked cookies served to guests with the drink (hot or cold) of their choice.

Cocktail hour (2 hours):  Pasta bar at one end, bagels, lox, cream cheese, and crudites at other end.  15-foot hall connecting those two had cold seafood on the rocks.  Waiters came around with hot h'ors d'oeuvres.  Open bar.

Dinner:  7 courses starting with seared tuna and sesame noodles, soup, salad, shrimp, chicken, beef, and I forgot the rest.

Dessert:  Edible wedding cake, dessert table with at least a dozen different things, half of which were chocolate.  A chef made Bananas Foster on request next to the coffee bar.

I don't remember any of the others.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 05:41:53 PM »
I've never had bad food at any of the weddings I've attended. Here are some bad ones that I've read about or seen on tv:
- Wedding in a bridal magazine: Meat was in every.single.dish. Even the salads and the veggie side dishes were full of meat. The bride was rather proud that the vegetarian guests could have plain spaghetti noodles & tomato sauce. Blech  :P I did wonder if they served rolls, and if so were guests were randomly surprised with bits of bacon or pepperoni.
- From a wedding board: A couple served cake, mints, tuna salad, coleslaw & macaroni salad. I just found that really random and unappetizing. Just serving cake, punch and mints is fine. But three picnic salads without a main entree, followed by a cake ? Pass on that. I'd probably just eat the cake alone, then go to a restaurant later.
- From TLC's Four Weddings: The couple who served poor quality, quickly cooled delivery pizzas on the beach in chilly weather

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
- From a wedding board: A couple served cake, mints, tuna salad, coleslaw & macaroni salad. I just found that really random and unappetizing. Just serving cake, punch and mints is fine. But three picnic salads without a main entree, followed by a cake ? Pass on that. I'd probably just eat the cake alone, then go to a restaurant later.

If it's a super casual backyard type of reception, I don't think that's too bad.  But I think of tuna salad as a main instead of a side.  Was there bread to go with it?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 06:10:34 PM »

If it's a super casual backyard type of reception, I don't think that's too bad.  But I think of tuna salad as a main instead of a side.  Was there bread to go with it?

There wasn't bread or anything else to go with it.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 07:09:32 PM »
The best: My brother's wedding. His wife is Turkish and they got married in Turkey. I have no idea what most of the food was. All I remember (this was 15 years ago) was each dish was more delightful than the last. And there were so many of them! All while we cruised around the Bosphorus on a boat as the sun set. That whole wedding was just the best.

Really good runner up: My cousin's wedding where they had several different food stations. The one I remember was the mashed potato station. They put mashed potatoes into a pastry bag and filled sundae cups with swirls of potatoes. Then you added the fixings of your choice--butter, sour cream, a couple of different kinds of grated cheeses, bacon bits. Somehow they kept the potatoes piping hot.

Best wedding dessert: Another cousin had a chocolate bar for dessert. You know, like a salad bar, but with chocolate desserts--pudding, mousse, cakes, ice cream, souffle, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, little hand-dipped chocolates, strawberries dipped in chocolate, and a few other things.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

MOM21SON

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 08:37:37 PM »
Worst was a BWW, supposedly.  Dessert only reception.  Bad in so many ways.

Best, A real BWW, wonderful cocktail hour filled to the brim with cheeses, vege trays, fruits, pasta, cookies, drinks, shrimp cocktail, can't remember what else.

Buffet dinner with craving stations, crab legs, awesome potatoes, many salads, Many hot veges as well. 

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 09:18:47 PM »
My BFF & my step brother had their receptions at the same place, almost 25 years apart and BFF's was very tasty, she was on a small budget so she did the buffet but she had very few choices.  All was good but very limited.  My step brothers?  CRUD MONKEYS! I think I gained 10 lbs..the ceremony and reception were all done there (wow, they really jazzed the place up!).  The cocktail hour was split up for the ceremony but there was a sweets table that caused my DD to think she was in Heaven, and a cheese/veggie table that I loved.  The buffet was absolutely amazing with the portions and selections.  It was a smaller wedding but they did not skimp. 
My sister's was good, from what everyone said (sit down meal) but her and I ordered the vegetarian meals and it was the most over cooked plate of squash and zucchini I have ever had..and I hate both!  I snuck over to the restaurant portion after the meal before the dancing and stuff and ordered french fries because I was starving. 
I was not part of this, my friend and her DD were, but the tale of horror was great.  Her neighbor asks her DD to be in her wedding (2nd)..someone dropped out and she already had the dress that friends DD would fit..she then made all these demands..expensive full length gloves, expensive hair style, expensive jewelry.  Friend bought the gloves but said no, she can do her own hair the way they were asking and she had her own jewelry that would work (DD was 15 at the time).  So neighbor goes on and on about the reception...chipped ham sandwiches (for those not up on this regional specialty, boiled ham sliced paper thin and piled on a bun), kool aid and potato chips.  The only alcohol was for the HC and they got smashed..people were leaving in droves to go find a restaurant (and some classier friends)