Author Topic: In line at the grocery store  (Read 5261 times)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: In line at the grocery store
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 12:43:40 PM »
Gotcha! That definitely makes a difference. Sorry, I'd forgotten that :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

snowdragon

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »
I don't think the guy was wrong in the least. You left. It does not matter that that was "just for one thing" = you left that meant the guy was next, not you.  You had other options, ask some one to go get it, cash out and then go get it,  asking the cashier what to do, get it next time - but by leaving you gave up your place in line. He was not rude to take it.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 01:16:44 PM »
I don't think the guy was wrong in the least. You left. It does not matter that that was "just for one thing" = you left that meant the guy was next, not you.  You had other options, ask some one to go get it, cash out and then go get it,  asking the cashier what to do, get it next time - but by leaving you gave up your place in line. He was not rude to take it.

That's not really how it works all the time, everywhere.  In my town, it would be really rude to cut the line like that.  If my stuff is on the belt, I am next even if I have to leave the line for a moment to grab something else.  If I'm back before the cashier is done with the person ahead of me, that's my spot.

That's how everybody does it here.  I would be VERY surprised if someone actually did try to cut the line that way here.  For one thing, the cashiers wouldn't put up with it. They know everybody - everybody knows them.  They'd be nice about it, but they'd make sure I got my spot back from the guy.

Isilleke

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »
I agree with Snowdragon. Also, he had no way of knowing if and when you were returning.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 01:20:23 PM »
I agree with Snowdragon. Also, he had no way of knowing if and when you were returning.

So he should have waited until the cashier was done with the first transaction.  I don't think it takes a lot of common sense to see a pile of groceries on the belt and assume they belong to someone. He could have at least ASKED.  Instead, he just cut the line.

Isilleke

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 01:23:56 PM »

So he should have waited until the cashier was done with the first transaction.  I don't think it takes a lot of common sense to see a pile of groceries on the belt and assume they belong to someone. He could have at least ASKED.  Instead, he just cut the line.

We don't know if he asked. Maybe he did ask the cashier and he/she told him he/she didn't know. I don't see how it's his responsibility to make sure he isn't cutting in front of someone who isn't even there IMO.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »

We don't know if he asked. Maybe he did ask the cashier and he/she told him he/she didn't know. I don't see how it's his responsibility to make sure he isn't cutting in front of someone who isn't even there IMO.

I think it's everyone's responsibility to use common sense.  There were groceries there.  It makes sense that they belong to somebody.  Anybody who has done any grocery shopping knows that sometimes people run off to grab something they forgot.  I believe that someone using common sense would at least THINK about that.

snowdragon

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 01:37:55 PM »

I think it's everyone's responsibility to use common sense.  There were groceries there.  It makes sense that they belong to somebody.  Anybody who has done any grocery shopping knows that sometimes people run off to grab something they forgot.  I believe that someone using common sense would at least THINK about that.

I think it's common sense and common courtesy that you don't walk away from a line and leave stuff there to continue shopping....which is what 'running back for one item' is. Either your finished and in line - or you're not.  But the rest of the world should not have to read your mind that you are coming back and when.
  Honestly - If I happened on a place where this was allowed, I would complain to management, corporate and avoid the place for the rest of my life - while telling anyone who would listen that the cashiers don't respect the idea of a line.  And "first come first serve " does not apply t someone who left..they are no longer "first".

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 01:39:18 PM »

I think it's common sense and common courtesy that you don't walk away from a line and leave stuff there to continue shopping....which is what 'running back for one item' is. Either your finished and in line - or you're not.  But the rest of the world should not have to read your mind that you are coming back and when.
  Honestly - If I happened on a place where this was allowed, I would complain to management, corporate and avoid the place for the rest of my life - while telling anyone who would listen that the cashiers don't respect the idea of a line.  And "first come first serve " does not apply t someone who left..they are no longer "first".

You'd probably not be able to tolerate living in a small town. 

snowdragon

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 01:41:17 PM »

Interesting Assumption,,,since I was born and raised in one - and that sort of behaviour would not have been tolerated. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »

Interesting Assumption,,,since I was born and raised in one - and that sort of behaviour would not have been tolerated. 

Maybe my town is just friendlier than other.  Dunno what to tell you, but here it's absolutely okay to do what the OP did.  The guy who cut the line would have been in the wrong here.  Your town must be different.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »

It's not just a small town thing - this is how it works in Copenhagen as well.

Had the cashier finished the first transaction, it would be a different matter altogether. In that case he would have been fine to move the OP's stuff and put his up instead.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Addy

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »
I sort of think that people who get in line before they are ready are the ones cutting the line. I'm not saying that is what happened here, since you realized you had the wrong item, but I have seen people put their items or their basket down and then go to get more items. I feel that the line is for people finished their shopping and ready to check out. I am particularly bothered by people who just leave a full basket because they could have just taken their basket with them, but instead they use it to hold their place in line while they finish shopping.

msulinski

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 01:51:52 PM »
Maybe my town is just friendlier than other.  Dunno what to tell you, but here it's absolutely okay to do what the OP did.  The guy who cut the line would have been in the wrong here.  Your town must be different.

I don't know about friendlier, but different.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »

Its not a small town thing I live in NYC and have done exactly as the OP did (with the exception I did communicate to the cashier, and by default the person being rung up what I was doing) and have come back to my spot saved for me. I have also been the person to get in line behind unmanned stuff only to have the person come back, product in hand saying "thanks I just had to run back for a minute!" as they retook their spot in front of me with their stuff.

Its not an everyday thing, but yeah, sometimes life happens and people should try to go with the more gracious flow then the more negative aggressive flow, IMO.