Author Topic: In line at the grocery store  (Read 5273 times)

snowdragon

Re: In line at the grocery store
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 01:56:03 PM »
But in the OP , the cashier did not say that the OP was next to the guy. So the place holding thing does not work here, in any event...if it did the cashier would have said something.
  Even if it were a local "thing" - you always run the risk of an outsider who plays by different rules - and will refuse to give a continuing shopper the place they left.  All one has to do is to refuse to move...it would not be any ruder than continuing to shop after staking out a space in line.

Phoebe

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »
Personally, I don't think the guy was rude in the least.  OP stated he wasn't around when she was there before running off so he had no way to know for certain what was up with the stuff on the counter.   

If I were the guy and someone came back and tried to get back in line ahead of me, I'd nominate that person for the rude one.  Yes, you were next but you left the line.  Now you're not.  This is the norm in my small (6500 very friendly people) town. 

m2kbug

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 06:58:04 PM »
I think I might have just cut in front if the person in front was finished with her purchase and you had not returned yet.  Otherwise, I would assume you were probably off getting something you forget and would be back rather quickly.  I probably wouldn't move your things or take a cut in line.  I don't think what either of you did was rude, and you did leave your spot and the next person that came along took the place you abandoned.  It's annoying for you, but not rude of him.  Probably the only thing I would have done differently is communicate to the cashier that I grabbed the wrong can and will be back in a second.  The cashier could then inform the new guy that you were returning.

I'm not one to get really weirded out about people touching my things, so that part of your grocery dilemma wouldn't be an issue for me.  I do realize other people have issues around people touching their things, so I don't think I would go moving someone else's stuff unless it was very clear to me those items have been abandoned. 

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 07:45:52 PM »
That guy cut in line.

He was rude and opportunistic.

If you had not returned by the time the cashier was ready for the next customer then he would have been fine to go next if the clerk invited him to do so.  But, he wasn't next and he pushed his way into the line.

In this case, even if you had told the clerk that you would be right back, I don't know that she is going to argue with another customer for your place in line.

He was just flat out wrong.

Rohanna

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »
I would think the guy was really weird and a bit rude to do that. Then again, I err on the side of friendliness and common sense rather than obstinately sticking to the letter of the law with most things. I trust most people to know that they can make it to a shelf and back again in time to not hold me up, so expecting them to check out twice seems silly - if for no other reason than that simply makes someone *else* have to wait (as in, whoever ends up behind them in line the second time), so really, it all comes out in the wash to me. Here the cashiers frequently tell you to run and grab something quickly if you realize you forgot it- and they'll often open another lane while you do so.

I do agree that getting in line for the sole *purpose* of holding a spot, then finishing shopping plain old irks me. I've only seen it a few times, but it's irritating to get stuck behind someone who keeps dashing off, and not moving their cart naturally with the line because they're away.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

veronaz

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 08:04:04 PM »
If you hadn't returned by the time the cashier finished with the customer ahead of you, he would have been O.K. to go next. I think he was very rude to touch your groceries.

This.  He was wrong.

In your place I might have said "Wow, you must really be in a hurry."  >:D

SiotehCat

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »
I don't think he did anything wrong.

I think OP was wrong to get in line when she wasn't done shopping.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 08:43:16 PM »

It's not true that she wasn't done shopping.  She was!  She had her groceries unloaded and ready to be checked out when she noticed that she got one wrong item.

Do you think she should have loaded all her groceries back into her cart just to go replace that one item?

Dorrie78

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 08:44:43 PM »

I agree. I don't think he did anything wrong. All he saw was a beltful of deserted groceries, he had one item (if I remember the op correctly), so he just went in front of the pile of groceries and checked out. I don't see where he did anything wrong.

Rohanna

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 08:45:27 PM »
You really think putting cans on the conveyer and noticing you accidentally grabbed the wrong almost-identical item counts as "getting into line without being done"? I wish I was the kind of person this type of mistake never, ever happened to so that I was unable to put myself into the OP's shoes and see it to be an honest mistake, but sadly I am all too human!

The only thing I'd suggest doing next time, OP is to tell the cashier quickly that I'd be right back.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 08:48:38 PM »

I agree. I don't think he did anything wrong. All he saw was a beltful of deserted groceries, he had one item (if I remember the op correctly), so he just went in front of the pile of groceries and checked out. I don't see where he did anything wrong.

He had a few groceries not one item.

And what he saw were items waiting to be checked out.  Whether they were deserted or not is not something he could have known from looking at them.

Rohanna

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 08:52:38 PM »
For all he knew they belonged to the lady in front who was paying in two transactions. I've done that before when shopping for work or a friend so I get the exact total on a separate reciept.

SiotehCat

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 08:56:05 PM »
You really think putting cans on the conveyer and noticing you accidentally grabbed the wrong almost-identical item counts as "getting into line without being done"? I wish I was the kind of person this type of mistake never, ever happened to so that I was unable to put myself into the OP's shoes and see it to be an honest mistake, but sadly I am all too human!

The only thing I'd suggest doing next time, OP is to tell the cashier quickly that I'd be right back.

I have had this happen to me many times, so I can put myself in the OPs shoes.

If I don't have a whole lot of stuff, I put it back in my basket or I put it on the metal part of the conveyor belt. The part that doesn't move. I don't know what it's called. I try to tell the cashier that I am coming back for my stuff.

If I do have a lot of stuff, I pay and load up my car then I run back for my item.

Dorrie78

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 09:02:58 PM »

He had a few groceries not one item.

And what he saw were items waiting to be checked out.  Whether they were deserted or not is not something he could have known from looking at them.
Of course they were deserted. They were sitting on the belt and there was no one there with them. He had no idea if the owner was coming back in one minute, five minutes or not at all, so he did the logical thing and went ahead of the deserted groceries. This is especially understandable since he only had a couple of items.

mandolinn

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2013, 09:09:49 PM »
I have had this happen to me many times, so I can put myself in the OPs shoes.

If I don't have a whole lot of stuff, I put it back in my basket or I put it on the metal part of the conveyor belt. The part that doesn't move. I don't know what it's called. I try to tell the cashier that I am coming back for my stuff.

If I do have a lot of stuff, I pay and load up my car then I run back for my item.

This.

If I forget something, or notice that I've gotten the wrong thing, it's my fault and no one else's responsibility to hold my place or items in line other than me. I either put my stuff back in the basket and go get whatever I need, or I pay for my stuff then go back in and get what I forgot. I can't expect the person after me to know if I'm the type of person who will hurry and quickly return, or if I'm the type of person who is using my basket as a placeholder while I shop. It's first come, first serve, and leaving the line for whatever reason negates a person's place. 

The same holds when I'm shopping with my spouse (who is notorious for doing the "Oops, forgot something I wanted and didn't mention to you or write down on the list!"). If he gets back by the time it's our turn, wonderful. If not, he gets into line and waits his turn.

It's not so much the other people being courteous to me as it is me being courteous to them.